Frequent Contributor

Waiting for insurance settlement

What is the longest time anyone waited for an auto insurance settlement? My daughter's is still not settled. She has permanent nerve damage. Lawyer is handling in Bucks County PA
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Waiting for insurance settlement

I have State Farm Insurance and I was in a horrible accident many years ago, the two vehicles that hit me both were insured with All State. It was a bad accident, I was out of work for 10 weeks. I used no lawyer and they paid for my vehicle repairs, hospital, medical bills, my time off work, plus, my child who was with me and not hurt, Praise God was given a good settlement and so was I. All was handled within a couple of weeks.

I hope your daughter gets results soon.

Frequent Contributor

Glad you were compensated so soon. My daughter is still waiting over 5 years. It started out as a work comp claim but was auto related. She was out of work for a long time and never able to go back to a full time job.
Honored Contributor

There are statues of limitations on claims such as this - I imagine that length of time varies from state to state but probably 5 years is over the limit everywhere. Has there at least been a claim filed? You need to set up a meeting with your attorney If you are talking about Bucks County, Pa. I know the statues of limitations is 2 years in Pa. for filing for a auto accident.

Respected Contributor

Happy is right. Your claim has been filed and you are represented. I'm assuming the other party is at fault? Has your daughter made a full recover or made whole again? If she is still receiving treatments and improving slowly, then she's not recovered yet.

If she cannot improve any further, then it's time for negotiating settlement. Has she subrogated the claim with her health insurance so they pay her related medical and will be refunded at time if settlement? Be aware, once the case is settled, your health insurance may not cover her condition at all or for a designated period set forth in the Plan. Just an FYI, this is my career.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

On 12/9/2014 Mustangshar said:Happy is right. Your claim has been filed and you are represented. I'm assuming the other party is at fault? Has your daughter made a full recover or made whole again? If she is still receiving treatments and improving slowly, then she's not recovered yet.

If she cannot improve any further, then it's time for negotiating settlement. Has she subrogated the claim with her health insurance so they pay her related medical and will be refunded at time if settlement? Be aware, once the case is settled, your health insurance may not cover her condition at all or for a designated period set forth in the Plan. Just an FYI, this is my career.Smiley Happy

After the accident that killed my Mom and paralyzed my Dad when the total of his car ins ran out then medicare and his supplement started paying his hospital bills but when the lawsuits were settled and he won some money settlement we had to pay medicare and his supplement co. back from that settlement. That was in pa.

Respected Contributor

Happy, I'm so sorry for your loss! So very tragic. Hugs.
Frequent Contributor

Thank you for the post, a Happy a Housewife. Yes, daughter is stll being treated for her injuries. Other driver was at fault (driving while texting). Claim was a work comp originally and auto claim, as accident happened during work hours. When daughter calls her atty., she is told they are still working on it. She would like to get this settled and would not Perdue it further if a settlement is reached.
Honored Contributor

My husband was in an accident years ago where his truck was rear ended from a driver following too closely. My husband sustained whiplash injuries, and despite lump sum offers, we did not settle with the other insurance company for one full year. Once you accept a settlement, the matter is over. Regardless of what medical condition turns up down the road that is known to be from that accident, you cannot pursue a claim for further damages. The permanent nerve damage may only be the tip of the iceberg as far as your daughters condition, and until she has a long term prognosis, I would not be so quick to accept a settlement.
Honored Contributor

On 12/11/2014 nickycat said: Thank you for the post, a Happy a Housewife. Yes, daughter is stll being treated for her injuries. Other driver was at fault (driving while texting). Claim was a work comp originally and auto claim, as accident happened during work hours. When daughter calls her atty., she is told they are still working on it. She would like to get this settled and would not Perdue it further if a settlement is reached.

Was this atty provided to her by her work comp company or her employer? If so - he may be dragging this out hoping she will forget about pursuing it. She may need to get herself an atty of her own - someone whose only interest is in getting her a settlement. My parents accident everything was settled with in 2 years, and we are talking major indisputable claims. The other driver was arrested at the scene of the accident for DUI and vehicular homicide and assault with a vehicle. He pleaded guilty because his drug & blood alcohol tests were high.