Contributor

Has anyone given up Wheat and lost weight?

Hi, I have been to a seminar on giving up Wheat (and most other grains) to feel better and loose weight.

It is almost impossible to give up all grain but I know I can cut back on cereal, bread and some other things.

My goal is to loose what is called "Wheat Belly". I have about 10 pounds to loose and I eat well (very few treats and almost no sugar).

Has giving up Wheat and some grains helped you loose weight?

Thanks.........................butterfly

Trusted Contributor

Re: Has anyone given up Wheat and lost weight?

Low carb diets have been around forever and sound very similar to "no wheat" or "gluten free" diets. I have lost weight by reducing (not fully eliminating) carbohydrates; however, the only way to keep that weight off is to make permanent changes to your eating habits and activity levels. Good luck!

Contributor

Thanks Vamp. The seminar was strictly about Wheat and Grain. The Lecturer was talking about the changes in grain over the last 20 - 30 plus years and how the new modified grain is not good for humans.

The lecture was based on the book, Wheat Belly by William Davis

I am not sure that I believe all this but according to the Lecturer, grain is what is causing "Wheat Belly". He stated that all you have to do is give up grain!

I agree...............carbs are a problem.

Thanks for your reply.............I agree.

.............butterfly

Esteemed Contributor

Our UPS driver and his wife gave up Wheat and both lost weight. It sounds very hard to do -- wheat & gluten seem to be in everything. Good luck!

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

With my doctor's approval, I stopped eating ALL grain, dairy, added sugar and added salt. Lost 80 pounds and had greatly diminished cravings. If you stop all processed foods, grain just goes out the door along with them. HINT - when you think something is "almost impossible" to do, you're probably right. If you think "I'm going to eat veggies, protein, fruit, and nuts today" ? Much easier! Smiley Happy
Honored Contributor

My main foods are carbs and have been for many decades. I have choosen what I wanted to weigh depending on the sport I was participating in at the time. Carbs are important for long term distance events and were/are my best fuel for my body. I liked to weigh 130 for running and 150-155 for playing hockey. It had nothing to do with grains, but all to do with how much I ate and everything to do with how much fuel I burned. I ate less and exercised longer to lower weight and reversed the procedure to put on pounds. Never an issue using this method.
hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

I had to go on a gluten-free food pan due to chronic "D." Through testing, we found that my body had developed antigens to gluten, soy and eggs. So...to answer your question, since on the new food plan which eliminates gluten, I have lost 25 lbs. That's over a 14 month period of time and much of that time I've had to be very sedentary due to severe knee and foot problem, so zero exercise. Hope this helps.