Honored Contributor

December's Birds Nest - Let Heaven and Nature Sing

Birding Friends, another holiday season is upon us and in full swing.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Re: December's Birds Nest - Let Heaven and Nature Sing

Mousiegirl gets the prize as the first poster for the month. Here is what our little night owl posted just past midnight

Honored Contributor

The bird of the day is the Pink Backed Pelican.

Honored Contributor

From Mousie - this afternoon............

Today, for the first time, I saw birds taking a bath in a small birdbath that is nestled amongst Salvia and Roses. I assumed they weren't using it because there was no clearance around it, but I guess they have been using it which makes me happy, but confused as after a rain, I would think that they got their feathers wet during the rain, maybe it is different. One bird hopped all the way over, on the deck, to the door then must have seen me peering out so flew off. I will be spending today, as yesterday, decorating the kitchen.

Honored Contributor

On 12/1/2014 Bird mama said:

Mousiegirl gets the prize as the first poster for the month. Here is what our little night owl posted just past midnight

I am on PST, Bird mama, so a little past 9:00, lol, I am never posting at midnight, I am in bed with pups watching tv, and groaning over my aches and pains.

Honored Contributor

Mousie, my face is {#emotions_dlg.blushing} from embarrassment. You feel like a neighbor and I forget you are across country from me.

Respected Contributor

Hi everyone and thanks for getting us started for December - time is sure moving fast isn't it?

Went in for my pulmonary check - every 4 to 5 months - and he once again brought up the subject of using oxygen. Nope, sez I. It would help and I know it but just do not want to start on it as everyone I know who started using oxygen, became very dependent on it and to me seemed to go downhill. But promised him if I truly thought I could not do without it, I would be back.

My main inhaler this year put me in the donut hole way to soon - that sure hurts. Next year it will go faster so will be ordering them from Canada - my pulmonary MD says he understands doing it that way and supports it. California has sooooo many restrictions on meds which add to the problem here and prices are horrible. Found out that one month last year my inhaler had risen to $1000 for that month but my pharmacy AND the insurance company picked up the slack on that one but even so it added to myh total . By the end of September I was out of meds as the co pay was not even up for discussion. Amazing how CHEAP the very same thing will now be and it will not go against the cost of any other required meds. Just silly in my book but these pharmaceutical companies sure run things in this country don't they?

Stripes continues to be ornary - he was not in again last night and it was COLD. Not real sure where he is hanging out but suspect this time it may be at Johnny's Auto Repair - he and Johnny have been friends for many years and Johnny would love to get STripes to move in over there and get ride of mice.

We are expecting lots of rain tomorrow and the fear is mud slides since we have had so little rain and so many fires. Always something isn't it/

Thanks again for the start to December and stay warm everyone.

Honored Contributor

Thank you, Birdmama, for our December nesting place. Hard to believe this is the last month of 2014.

I spent the day at the dentist, having to have a new crown, since the one that fell out about 10 days ago, had fallen out twice before. The cost of a crown is over $1200.00 here, don't know if that's the price all over the country. I get to pay half of that, and am so thrilled, NNNOOOTTTTTT!!!! {#emotions_dlg.glare} I had a mammogram scheduled for 1 pm and should have been there on time, except a piece of the temporary crown's cement had to be chiseled, knocked, drilled etc. off. Felt like a sledgehammer was being used. So I was 1/2 hour late for the mammo. appt. but they fit me in as the two offices are 1/2 block apart. I still have to go back for the permanent crown to be put in on Dec. 22. That's calling it close as I leave for Florida on Christmas morning.

We had ice and sleet here last night. I knew it was supposed to be icy south of here, but it put a coating of ice on the cars, roof and roads. Lots of cars off in ditches this morning And it was 72 here yesterday afternoon. 24 last night.

Have a warm and relaxed evening, Birding Friends.

Winter Cardinals

Honored Contributor

Winifred - my mom resisted using oxygen for a long time too. In the beginning she used a smaller tank that did intermittent bursts of O2 when she would be out and about like grocery shopping. For the most part, if she used her inhaler and breathing treatments, she did well. I always said that my mom's lungs held up so long because she was a walker and active person. Honestly, up the stairs, down the stairs to get laundry and stuff down kept her in good shape. As a matter of fact, when she fractured her pelvis and couldn't walk as much after that was when I noticed her lung health went downhill a little.

Regarding the pharmacy costs - do what you have to do. As someone who has worked for a health insurance company for over 30 years, I have always thought that it wasn't new technology that shot up health care costs. It was the cost of drugs - with all those TV commercials and stuff.

I hope you don't get mudslides {#emotions_dlg.scared}.

Honored Contributor

Hi Possummink - do you get a say as to when you go back to Florida or does your son just send you the ticket and that's it? I'm sorry that you have to travel on Christmas day and won't get to be home for some of the winter. What a bummer that you are stuck there without a car to drive. That would make me a little nutty {#emotions_dlg.blink} I'll say a prayer for you that the permanent crown is perfect as you don't have a lot of wiggle room between the placement and your trip. Yes, dental procedures here are an arm and a leg. If you need a root canal and crown, that can hit an insurance dental maximum in no time. I think the freezing rain you got is headed my way - joyful, joyful {#emotions_dlg.mellow}