Trusted Contributor

Anyone Alone on Thanksgiving?

I lost my whole family a few years ago and am spending Thanksgiving alone. It was always my parents favorite holiday. I was not invited by anyone to share Thanksgiving, so I'm alone. I am not doing the traditional turkey meal, but making appetizers to watch football. I love football, so that will be comforting. I wanted to serve meals at the Salvation Army and another charitable organizations, but they were all full. So, I plan to go to a nursing home to visit those without families. I plan to also visit my parents' graves, wash my car, walk, read and just try not to find reminders of the holiday to get me down.

If anyone else is alone on Thanksgiving, my prayers and thoughts are with you. It's not easy and sometimes it hurts that people who know you are alone don't include you. But, I am grateful for my health, my memories of my parents, my music and nature to enjoy.

The key is to keep going in spite of the pain and lonliness.

Super Contributor

Re: Anyone Alone on Thanksgiving?

It's no excuse for their forgetting you but have you told extended family or friends that you're going to be on your own tomorrow? Sometimes with all the holiday rush people don't think about where everyone else is going. I think it's OK to drop hints if you have siblings, cousins or close friends. If not, then I would go to one of those places where they are serving meals and eat there. You would be helping keep others company that way and you could make a cash donation if you're able. I know that most of those places say they are serving not only the poor and homeless but also anyone who would otherwise be alone. Your idea of visiting a nursing home is very thoughtful too and I would do that as well if I were you. It may sound trite but try to focus on the positives in your life. It's so easy at this time of year to be affected by all the talk of family get-togethers and nostalgia and start recalling past times and what we had back when. And for Christmas, get your name in early to volunteer somewhere and let everyone know that you'd love to share the holiday with them and you'll bring the pie!

Respected Contributor

If they knew you, I'd invite you to my.house. My mom was always inviting friends and people we knew who didn't have any family nearby. And they were always a part of the celebration with us I think.people forget to.think.about their neighbors and friends.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Trusted Contributor

Thanks BlueCollarBabe & Marienkaefer2!

Your kind words mean a lot. So thoughtful of you to respond.

I don't have any extended family anymore. I know people get busy and have their own families to take care of this time of year.

Marienkaefer... what a sweet thing to say. I appreciate your kindness so much. Your family is what Thanksgiving is all about.

I'll be okay. I refuse to sit and feel sorry for myself. I will keep busy and know that I have a lot to be thankful for and know my parents are with me every day in spirit and in my heart.

Honored Contributor

Going to the nursing home is far, far better than anything else. You are celebrating and giving love to the many folks in the nursing home who don't have anyone to visit or call them. And, believe me, there are many. Blessings to you and big hugs to the folks at the nursing home. Smile You will be rewarded (with love) and appreciated by many people there.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor

Thank you BlueGrassBaby & Romary!

I will check back tomorrow for sure. That is nice to know. Smile I know what you mean about "a long story." I have two siblings, but since my parents passed, they are estranged from me. They never came to help when my parents were ill or the family needed them. Now, they just sort of disowned me because I was there. Makes no sense. Again, a long story. Life is short, it is their loss.

Thank you for the comforting words.

Take care of yourselves also!

{{{{ WARM HUGS }}}}}}

Honored Contributor

Usually , in my experience, the best way to get invitations is to offer invitations. People are unlikely to think of inviting you if you never invite them.

Respected Contributor

On 11/26/2014 happy housewife said:

Usually , in my experience, the best way to get invitations is to offer invitations. People are unlikely to think of inviting you if you never invite them.

That is not always the case. Say a few encouraging words to her, it's Thanksgiving.

Respected Contributor

On 11/26/2014 happy housewife said:

Do you EVER post anything positive, sympathetic or encouraging ? DARING---I hope you have a wonderful day---your attitude is admirable (and very wise).
Honored Contributor

DARING, I will not be alone, but my dad passed in August. The holidays coming are now the firsts without him. It sounds like you have plans for your day. Your attitude is admirable.