Regular Contributor

SW Florida for last 2 weeks of February?

(Please only answer if you've been to the SW Florida (Naples/Fort Meyers) area in late February.) I have an opportunity to go to the Naples/Ft.Meyers area, but I love being in the ocean. (I love to shell and I'm not a pool person.)

So my questions are: How is the temp of the ocean in late Feb. down there? Will it be too cold for swimming? (Keep in mind I'm from the Dakotas and what's cold to someone from FL maybe won't be to me.) I need some info quickly to help me decide whether or not I should pay for a flight and a hotel for 2 weeks! Thanks!!!

Honored Contributor

Re: SW Florida for last 2 weeks of February?

The gulf water right now today is 68 degrees - I live about 30 miles north of Ft Myers. That is swimable if you are a brave soul - but it is way too cold for this spoiled Floridian. It has to be 80 at a minimum for me. Even if you can't swim you can still shell and enjoy the beach. Personally, I prefer a pool. Not into sand in my pants. We do see vacationers swimming in the dead of winter.

My favorite way to enjoy the beach in the winter is to stop at McD and get a large hot coffee and a oatmeal breakfast and go sit on the boardwalk and watch the birds while we eat our breakfast. Just such a peaceful and soothing way to start any day.

I wanted to add - thus far this late fall has been pretty cool already and the prediction is for a cooler and wetter than usual winter. Anyway though, it will be way way warmer than the Dakotas.

Regular Contributor

On 11/24/2014 happy housewife said:Anyway though, it will be way way warmer than the Dakotas.

You are so right! Thanks for your reply happy housewife!

Honored Contributor

It really depend on the year, I have been to Siesta Key, Sanibel and Tampa (all West Coast of Fl) at that time of year, one year it was very chilly and the other two it was perfect. Most hotels or condos usually have heated pools which might be an option also

It will still be warmer than the Dokotas.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

My sister has a home in Naples. When I talked to her yesterday, she said the day before had been cool, but prior to that, they were having a stretch of hot, humid weather.

To put things in perspective, she's from Minnesota, so her hot and cool would be similar to yours!

If you go late February into March, I think you would experience optimal weather.

Enjoy!

Respected Contributor

I have been to Fort Meyers in February. Being from the Dakotas you will enjoy swimming then. It will seem like a warm bath to you. The temperature of the water runs from about 62 - 72 . It is warmer that a mountain river! The shells should be good then too.

Hope you have a good trip.

doxie