Super Contributor

Even though I am divorced for several years this time of the year brings back many memories I miss so much. My ex has remarried and I still hurt, it's hard to tell anyone about this. No one wants to hear that I am sad and have a hard time moving on. I am seeing someone at this time but it's not his fault that nothing is the same for me. I just play the game. Does anyone have a situation like this in their lives.

Respected Contributor

Re: Sad at this time of year...

I think most of us have times of sadness at the holidays due to various reasons. As in your case, divorce. In my situation, it is the death of family members and the absence of them at the dinner table. Things will never be the same again, but we must make new memories. We all cope and grieve in various ways. I am not sure where you are in the grieving process, but I hope you find some joy in the upcoming holidays.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, holidays seem to bring up old memories of people no longer in our lives. And it can go on for longer than we ever expected.

Esteemed Contributor

I am sorry you are sad...sometimes we never get over our lost love...he is always in our heart and Holidays are tough to get through.....I know exactly what your feeling...I, too, am sad...

Super Contributor

I try not to dwell on the past but there are times that I find missing a certain tradition that I can't do myself. It's not that I want my husband back but seeing him with someone else still hurts. Therapy was good for me and it did help see things that I did not understand but things change and people treated me different once I was alone. I still keep in touch with married friends and one friend told me she envied me because I could come and go as I please - she didn't realize that I envied what she had - how funny life is...Many of my friends are my co-workers and I am thankful that I have a job.

Honored Contributor

Wonder woman: Yes, you are very lucky to have a job and nice co-workers! That helps to keep you busy and prevents you and many others from dwelling on the past. Sometimes many of us are a bit sad, missing loved ones who are no longer here with us. Sending you better, happier days. Hugs to you and your friends, co-workers! Smile

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

p.s. I believe QVC will be on air. Thanksgiving shows with various hosts, etc. A bit of company for you!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I have been happily married to my second husband for 31 years but sometimes - esp. at holidays - I miss my first husband and lament that he died very young and missed so much - especially knowing his children as adults. They turned out so great.I also wonder how my life would have turned out if he had not died. I loved him intensely - as you do when you are young - and some of me will always miss him. However, my life now is with my current husband and I am happy and content with that. And I do not dwell on what can not be.

Honored Contributor

I am sorry you are feeling down....surprisingly I cried a bit today alone in my car, I miss my parents..mom has been gone 20+ years, dad 10+...I think we never really get over a loss...(and the holidays are just not the same) even if it is an ex...I do hope you feel better and can find someone to talk to.

Respected Contributor

Life is a series of chapters. Someone told me that once. I understand what it's like to be sad, especially at holidays. In these times, I think it's good to do for someone else. Volunteer to serve Thanksgiving dinner at a church, for example. When you are bringing joy to others, you get 10 times the joy in return. Also, you kind of forget your own sadness for awhile.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero