Honored Contributor

Sequins, bugle beads, sparkles and lace....

Am I the only one who doesn't go to a bunch of formal and semi formal events over the holidays? I can't think of a single holiday party, event or get together that would call for a velvet or lace dress and sparkly high heel sandals. Yet all the retailers are pushing that stuff.

Honored Contributor

Re: Sequins, bugle beads, sparkles and lace....

I guess some people have occasions for this, when my DH was active duty military, we had to go to fancy parties, but no longer, thank goodness!

Trusted Contributor

Less and less. Some people have fancy business, club, and corporate gatherings to attend during the holidays and/or run in social circles that involve a lot of parties and events. Now that we're retired, we mostly do low-key holiday things with our church and family and a few close friends, and maybe we might attend a holiday play or concert during the season. None of these activities call for extreme dressiness, but a little holiday embellishment, some special occasion jewelry, maybe a sparkly scarf or sweater go along with the festive spirit of the season without going overboard.

Honored Contributor

Lots of folks still belong to various clubs, places of worship parties, fundraising events, etc., etc. It's fun to occasionally 'dress up', feel 'special'. Not for me so much these days, but it was fun looking for this dress/item and that, trying to find the 'right' dress/outfit.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

On 11/21/2014 Hooty said:

I guess some people have occasions for this, when my DH was active duty military, we had to go to fancy parties, but no longer, thank goodness!

It doesn't happen now, but just after he retired from the AF, on rare occasions I'd miss the squadron parties. No longer, of course. Now that we're both retired, we stay in and warm on those nights. I don't miss that at all!

Trusted Contributor

I think there are as many "that do" as there as those "that don't" It depends on age, career, financial status and such. So it's pretty divided across the country. I'm sure the designer's are counting on those "that do" to keep them afloat.

Besides, doesn't all fashion begin in Europe, where it's always " to the nines" when it comes to the runways ?

Trusted Contributor

It's always rather stressful, the anticipation..... Followed usually by intense boredom, but once - possibly twice a year, I'm required to get my glam on.