Honored Contributor

Worked for big corp for 40 years...they forgot my anniversary

It just shows what big business is all about these days when department management can't even remember a huge anniversary.

Honored Contributor

Re: Worked for big corp for 40 years...they forgot my anniversary

What were you expecting?

Esteemed Contributor

There is no loyalty anymore like there used to be for our parents generation. 40 years is a long time to be with one company, you deserve a gift or gathering. They are lucky to have such a dedicated employee.

Honored Contributor

Maybe anniversaries are celebrated at the end of the month to save money and time. My husband's company switched to that system.
Honored Contributor

On 11/19/2014 sidsmom said:

What were you expecting?

All I really wanted was to be acknowledged, even just privately, even if only my own manager stopped and acknowledged it.

Corporate-wide policies....for the 25th, they have a big party, speakers, and invite everyone and anyone you want. For 30th and every 5 from then on, they order a cake and just have a casual thing for the department. They put on a big party, bigger than for the 25th, at retirement but I decided many years ago that I don't want that. This is my last big anniversary.

Honored Contributor

On 11/19/2014 BlueCollarBabe said:

You're fortunate to have a paying job. Grow up. You're not a child. Those anniversary acknowledgements were always only a way to make the employees happy without it costing management anything other than the price of a one time gift as opposed to a salary increase, better benefits, etc.. Now they don't have to do any of that because there are a hundred young college grads more than ready to take your place. Buy yourself a gift.

Judgemental much?

Honored Contributor

On 11/19/2014 colliegirls said:

There is no loyalty anymore like there used to be for our parents generation. 40 years is a long time to be with one company, you deserve a gift or gathering. They are lucky to have such a dedicated employee.

It's a very different world now. I started with this company before it went public and it was amazing how they treated people and cared. It is now your stereotypical big business willing to trample over people anytime...and I've seen a lot of that over the years.

Yes, I'm glad I have a job. I really like what I do. I'm reliable and go above and beyond every day, and have always received outstanding performance reviews. A little personal touch would have been nice.

Honored Contributor

Calm, I understand what you are saying. You would think after 40 years, someone would say hey, thanks for your service.

Congratulations on the milestone achievement

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Super Contributor

On 11/19/2014 CalmInTheHeart said:
On 11/19/2014 BlueCollarBabe said:

You're fortunate to have a paying job. Grow up. You're not a child. Those anniversary acknowledgements were always only a way to make the employees happy without it costing management anything other than the price of a one time gift as opposed to a salary increase, better benefits, etc.. Now they don't have to do any of that because there are a hundred young college grads more than ready to take your place. Buy yourself a gift.

Judgemental much?

Not at all. Just realistic and very aware of management techniques through the years that were designed to keep workers happy and loyal while costing as little as possible. I was schooled in those techniques and hated hearing about them but I was being trained for management and that was always the reality even years ago. It was always a con.

Respected Contributor

I'd be surprised if you said they remembered it!

As others have posted, it's a different world now.