Regular Contributor

gift cards for caregivers, opinion please

My father is living in a personal care home, He has at least three different caregivers,I was planning on giving each one $50.00 gift card. should I add anything else or is that good. thanks

Trusted Contributor

Re: gift cards for caregivers, opinion please

That's a very generous gift, imo, tashy! I would just tuck inside a holiday greeting card. I'm sure they'll appreciate the thought!

Honored Contributor

That's fine, be sure to add (I'm sure you planned to already) a heart-felt letter of thanks for their good job. Being recognized and appreciated is wonderful. They can read your note on really hard days and maybe it will help. That's such a tough job. I can't tell you how much mine saved me in helping with my dad. I'll be forever grateful.

Honored Contributor

Perfect! A warm note and a gift card should be perfect for any good worker!
Trusted Contributor

Very thoughtful, and I'm sure the thank you, along with cash tucked inside a greeting card will be much appreciated.

I would suggest, however, that you check with the administration about policies. At least one place my mother stayed during her long decline had rules against staff members receiving personal gifts from residents or families. Another family member's nursing home gives an opportunity for residents' families to donate to a holiday staff gift fund, which is divided among caregivers.

Esteemed Contributor

If you bake and already have goodies, maybe you can add it with a plate of baked goods but if not, the gift card alone is very generous.

Regular Contributor

thanks for the replies,I will tuck it in a nice Christmas card with a nice note. Happy Holidays to all you guys also!

Super Contributor

My Mom and Dad were both in nursing homes. At Christmas time, I would give them cash tucked in a greeting card which I would attach to the back of a box of candy. Even though it was against policy, most everyone I knew who had family there would do something similar. I think administration tended to "look the other way". Since the nursing assistants/caregivers are on the lower end of the pay scale, either cash or a gift card would be most appreciated. You are being very generous, and I am sure they are going to be most appreciative.

Honored Contributor

A $50 gift card is appropriate and very thoughtful. I would put it in card and write a personal message on the card.

Super Contributor

That's more than fine, you're a generous soul.