Honored Contributor

Great idea for a gift for an older person

My MIL lives in a retirement community and loves to sends cards and letters to her friends. We get her some all occasion cards and stamps. She really appreciates these. We also give her some of those return address labels that we get in the mail from various charities that we support.

Super Contributor

Re: Great idea for a gift for an older person

I would get a pretty scarf (large one) or a shawl. My Mom liked a basket of all kinds of goodies depending on what the person likes. My sister-in-law loved all kinds of tea so a basket of teas & cookies, candies etc. was a great gift for her...

Super Contributor

Don't the return address labels from charities have your name on (not your Mom's)?

Honored Contributor

Huh? Don't the return address labels have YOUR address on them?

Honored Contributor

Older ladies seem to love a pretty scarf. A regular printed scarf - not the kind the young girls wear, but something to add color to their outfit. every year our church has a thing where you choose a name - when I get a lady - as it seems we always do -I get her a nice top and a matching scarf, if they filled out the info that tells you their size. otherwise they just get the scarf.

Honored Contributor

Yes they do. That is so it is easier for her to send us a quick hello. Her handwriting is getting a bit shaky and we want to make her life just a little bit easier.

Respected Contributor

Excellent idea. I am getting my mom (89) stamps this year, and I know she'll appreciate it.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

It is a wonderful gift idea! My MIL always enjoyed receiving the boxes of cards and stamps. Good lotions, too, for dry skin, were always appreciated.

Trusted Contributor

What about a warm nightie? My mom and the older women in my family used to wear their nightgowns until they fell apart..... they were washed at the place that they lived.... we would get at least 2 each xmas.... and socks, also.... there were slipper socks with the secure bottoms on them.... my mom always wanted a sweater during the day so we got her a fleece sweater (like a sweat shirt).... she loved it.... so warm and cozy....

Esteemed Contributor

I am and older person....(72)....lol....

I would not care for a scarf...have tons of them...rarely ever wear them....nor would I like cards and stamps...never use them....(good ideas but not for me)

However I would like a gift card to the market I shop at....or

a gift card to some of the local restaurants....(so I won't have to cook)....or

buy me useful items like boxes of Kleenex....toilet paper....laundry detergent....bar soap...

(items I seem to run out of)....or....

offer to come over and help me clean my curtains/drapes....wash my windows...vacuum...

(things that are difficult for me to do) or....

take my car to the car wash and give it a good cleaning...

but most importantly.....Remember to call me once a week....I would love to hear your voice asking if I am okay....