Trusted Contributor

With the holidays approaching, there have been several threads already about dysfunctional families and the difficulties of celebrating the holidays with relatives who aren't all that well-adjusted, loving, or convivial. Do you think most families are at least a little dysfunctional? Is there any family that doesn't deal with sibling rivalry, parental favoritism, alcoholic Uncle Harry, big-mouth Aunt Mabel, moochers, live-in grown kids who won't get a job, or hostilities stemming from divorces and blended families? Are there any well adjusted families out there?

Super Contributor

I've yet to meet any...

Honored Contributor

Probably not but my family does not even get together, one reason is distance but the other is one sibling is NEVER happy and feels the need to make everyone else miserable. I am married, dh has 2 kids but they do not live in the area so holidays are not a lot of fun..both sets of parents are gone and grandkids (the one that is married) does their thing with the other side (her dad and husbands family). I am not a big fan of the holidays anymore......for those of you that have family you enjoy being around, I say lucky you, enjoy!

Super Contributor
Yes, I do know some kind and loving family groups.......Although most occasionally have issues but it's not the issues usually it is the way the issues are handled that make the true problems. My family is in the dysfunctional group currently........it's not where I want to be....but I am not a miracle worker. ......maybe one day......... I can't give up hope...
Trusted Contributor

I agree with Pickwickpapers-- Everyone has issues from time to time, but how they deal with them is the key. Unfortunately, there are probably more dysfunctional families than not. We do not do a good job overall in our culture learning how to interact with each other respectfully. Maybe it's like that everywhere, maybe it's just human nature, I don't know. Granted, some families are far more messed up than others, but life has its challenges for everyone; some people are just better at working through them than others. It's an ongoing process.

Super Contributor

I wouldn't say they were perfect, but the reason I knew my house was abnormal was because I spent so much time at my friend's house and saw what a normally functioning family was like.

It didn't mean there was no arguing or problems, but her house was light years away from mine, where everyone stayed in their rooms or punched each other.

Honored Contributor
Families are like people, none are perfect. The holidays seem to bring out the worst in many people, and there's a lot of alcohol consumption this time of year. It definite contributes.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Most are more dysfunctional that they choose to admit to anyone!!! Many repress feelings but inwardly they are having awful thoughts about many family members and clenching their teeth. Some just have the ability to ignore the issues and pretend they aren't there!! Like the saying goes - you can pick your friends but family is forced on you!!

Respected Contributor

I think every family has some dysfunctional in it...nobody is perfect.

Honored Contributor

Try reading ""Going Home without Going Crazy"" by Andra Medea. I found it very helpful.