Respected Contributor

Thanksgiving at the Back Fence

Well hello everyone - can you believe November is here? The past six months have flown by - have no clue where time has gone. You can tell it's November out here in Sou Cal as Hallowe'en is when the weather gets a tad frigid. Day before it was HOT and I had to turn the heater on yesterday. However, never fear we are not finished with our warm temps - I believe the real hot days are long gone but we will still have some warm ones.

Speaking of Hallowe'en, NO ONE was out trick or treating - not in my area anyway. Has been years and years since anyone has stopped by. I miss that and although I figure nothing will occur and no one will show up, I still went and bought candy and put out lighted jack o lanterns. Felt soooo sorry for the couple who bought the house across the street and one over. They are remodeling and have completely redone the inside. Knowing how it use to look am not sure I would want it the way they have it but it's their home and their money - not mine. My biggest complaint is they knocked the wall out between the kitchen and living room and now the kitchen is kind of part of the living room. Anyway, Janet called and she was so sad, NO ONE stopped by and they had put out decorations and she had baked cupcakes and decorated them and obviously spent a lot of time, had tons of candy and cans of ice tea. She had been waiting since 5:30 and no one showed up. So we all went over and got our fill. I did not even see their front porch decorated because they had the lights out and door open but still did not notice them. They had various really spooky and large decorations. Times have changed. I think everyone goes to schools and church functions but I also found out quite a few of the festivals were held LAST week. Never even thought of that. We had gone out earlier trying to find a place to trick or trick and had checked a couple mobile home parks that USE to be really big into decorations - no more.

Am so glad the former marine was released from jail in Mexico and is back home - long overdue.

Am not sure what I think about the Nurse who refuses to be quarantined other than I pray she does not come down with that dreaded disease and in the process contaminate anyone else.

Am leaving some candy left over from last night and a big pot of coffee and do nuts - nothing better than that.

Now the BIG news is we HAD RAIN LAST NIGHT. Not a big storm and not sure how much as it never woke me up and rain usually wakes me. But everything is wet outside and up in the mountains right by me they had snow last night. Am sure my brother is happy about that - NOT. LOL.

Please everyone stop by and visit - we have shored this old Fence up for years and years and patched it from time to time and we enjoy having everyone stop by. Hint, don't forget to bring something to eat. Have a great day.

Honored Contributor

Re: Thanksgiving at the Back Fence

Hello Winifred - I'll take a donut and some coffee, thanks. It was cold, raining and windy enough to generate temps in the upper 20's last night. I don't think I saw more than 10 kids. This is the first time in the near 13 years that I've been in this house that we didn't get many kids and many of the 'regular neighbors' didn't even bother turning on a light. Maybe they figured the weather would be lousy and thought, why bother?

It's blustery again today - there had been a forecast of snow - on the grass if nothing else. Didn't see any of that when I awoke at 6:15 this morning. The bird bath did look a little icey, if not frozen over.

I'm speechless on the entire ebola situation, which says a lot since I can sometimes talk the hair off a dog's back {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Come on people - where are you? Miss you regulars and we also love to have everyone stop by.

Cold here today in Sou Cal - and we hada really small rain again last night - would like to have some more. That is always a good sign. Sun is out right now and to look out, it is absolutely beautiful. Like I said, however, a tad chilly if you actually go out into it.

Church was good - the Men's FEllowship group fixed breakfast between the two services. That was really nice and a welcome surprise.

Could due with some more coffee so am leaving some of that AND hot chocolate. Now you cannot do any better so stop by!!!

Have a great day everyone.

Honored Contributor

I refreshed Winifred's coffee and cocoa - here are some pastries to sweeten the pot

Honored Contributor

Charlie Brown Thanksgiving (ABC, 8 p.m.): Snoopy is the chef. Isn ... Hi Winifred! I just found your Back Fence and thought I'd stop by to say hello. Wouldn't it would be fun to have a Charlie Brown get together?

Waving to Bird mama! I'll have one of those cinnamon pastries and a cup of Winifred's hot chocolate.Smile

“A little Consideration, a little Thought for Others, makes all the difference.” Winnie-the-Pooh
Honored Contributor

Puddles, it would be fun to get together and share a meal :-)

Regular Contributor

Not only has the last six months flown by, the entire year has or so it seems to me; dunno where it's gone.

Robin and her daughter brought the kids Halloween night. The little girl was dressed as a scarecrow and I don't know what the little boy's costume was and didn't want to make him feel bad by asking so didn't{#emotions_dlg.crying}anyway, they were the only trick or treaters we had.

Jim's been grouting our shower today. He thinks the south end of the house is settling and causing cracks in our ceiling and our shower. All the upkeep on older homes makes one contemplate the advantages of renting.

Don't like the time change any better than I did the first time I ever experienced it which was who knows when. Always makes me want to move to Arizone where they have sense enough to leave the time alone. Our cats tummies are on standard time and they can't be fooled!{#emotions_dlg.lol}

It rained here this morning and it's been gloomy all day. Hope there's more to come. We'll soon (as in this week) have to bring my plants inside as they can't tolerate anything below 40 degrees.

I've left the fixings for s'mores. Cozy up to our little fire pit by the back fence and put those marshmellow's on the end of the coat hanger and get ready for some good eatin'!

Happy Monday all. Sue

Trusted Contributor

I could use some coffee and a goodie!!!!?? we had a great time at the Fleetwood Mac concert. brought me back 25 years Smiley Happy I am miserable,again. I am weening off one of my pain meds.,at my request. May have made a rash decision,but just getting tired of putting all this stuff into my body. weather is beautiful,to be in the 70s for a few days. good weather to get out and vote tomorrow. Where in the world has the time gone?????? Holidays are just around the corner.
Honored Contributor

When I was little, I remember my dad telling me that time flew by quickly and it happened when you got older. I wonder sometimes why that is. At first I thought it's working full-time, taking care of the house and stuff like that. I then hear retirees tell me their time has flown by - so I guess I can't blame it on work. I work for a health insurance company and was on a major project in 2013. I don't know if any visitors to the back fence were X-Files (tv show) fans. If you remember the series - Mulder (male lead) used to talk about missing time (basically like blacking out during an alien encounter).

I swear I suffered missing time for the entire period of 2013. Short of my great nieces birthday and maybe one or two other things, I can't remember most of 2013, that's how crazy it was at work.

My company is closed today - every 2 years, presidential and mid-term elections, the company is closed. I think it's a collectively bargained benefit. Knowing I was going to have today off, I took yesterday as a vacation day. I spent 2 1/2 hours in my front yard raking leaves. My frozen shoulder was screaming about 90 minutes into it, but I couldn't stop. You know how you buy a pair of shoes that hurt your feet and you take the shoe off and can't get it back on? Well, I was afraid if I stopped raking, I wouldn't be able to get back to the front lawn.

Advil works wonders, I should do a commercial Smile and thank God, I have today to recuperate. The garbage guys just picked up 10 huge bags of leaves.

My birds lives are dictated by the sun. Last week, when it was dark in the morning, my youngest, Presto did not want to get up when Mommy was trying to get ready for work. This week, it's dark around 6pm and she's like, BEDTIME. Her habitat that she sleeps in is in my office where my desktop computer is. The house is lit up and I start getting her and Poppi (my eldest male) ready for bed around 7 pm or 7:30 pm. Springing forward doesn't seem to generate as much churn in my house like Falling back does.

Honestly, they need to just leave the time alone already.

Epi, I'm glad you enjoyed your Fleetwood Mac concert. Music today seems to be lacking from a lyric front. I don't mind the actual tune if artists were actually saying SOMETHING.

The voting place is the school across the field - behind my house. I suppose I should get my rear in gear and take a walk over there before the rains come around noon.

Respected Contributor

Puddles, wow, soooooo glad to see you here. The Fence has been around perhaps almost 20 years. Is that correct Sue? I know it was here before I was and my goodness I think I came aboard right at the end of shop talk or whatever it was called. Talk about time flying. Have mentioned this before but I "think" the one who started this was the delightful ornery mother of a regular we had at that time. Unfortunately both are gone - The daughter died way too young and quite sudden. Oh my but we have lost so many interesting posters.Am sitting here with the smoke coming out of my brain trying to remember CORRECTLY their names. Am thinking the MOther was MGH - and just cannot come up with the daughter's name. My goodness but the brain cells are not working well this morning. At any rate I do recall these ladies were in Texas.

Epi, I bet you did enjoy that concert - that would take you back a bit.

Sue, you are so right. These O L D homes do kind of move around a bit don't they./ And this one suffers from the constant earth rumbling - o therwise known as constant earthquakes. Cracks are abound.

Well people, I voted about two weeks ago and it will be interesting to see what happens. Our elections seem to me to be really kind of boring as I seem to be missing some great ideas from the politicos. LOL. The political ads just drive me insane. I do not receive political calls and have not for some years when I found out where they got my number - off the voters registration. I went crazy when I moved here a good 15 years ago and had to change my voting - I was in one county and this is another. Needless to say I called the Registrar of Voters and had my phone number deleted. Never one since. Also my number is not listed. Has not stopped all the pundits calling to sell me something or other insane calls - and yes, my number is registered on the Do Not Call list and I keep it current. WEird.

Bird Mama, I think it is great you get voting day off from work. Interesting.

Leaving some more coffee and hot chocolate - the weather is demanding one or the other. Have a great day everyone.