Trusted Contributor

TLC and that Allen family bus

Happened to catch the beginning of a reality special Tuesday evening on TLC called Home Sweet Bus, featuring a family of 13 who travel the country singing gospel music while living permanently in a large RV bus. I was so shocked by this family's chosen life style that I thought I was watching fictional characters. Couple of the kids are younger, but most are near adults. They have lived their entire lives crammed onto this bus, sitting next to one another day after day, sleeping in tiny bunks, sharing 1 bathroom. One son has even produced twin grandkids, and he and his family are permanent residents of that bus too. I don't know where this country is headed, but this seems like a form of child abuse. These kids have no contact with friends or classmates outside their own little bus world, and their parents expect each of them to marry without any dating at all, and dear Dad Allen will decide on their mates. They are like programmed robots. Not Christianity in my book. Anyone else have thoughts?

Honored Contributor

Re: TLC and that Allen family bus

I started watching this show too, but tuned out when the parents started talking about how to handle the children finding their future mates. As soon as I got the gist of no dating allowed for these children, and Dad being involved in deciding on their mates, I cut the television off and decided I will not watch this show again. I cannot wrap my mind around this type of arrangement, in order to find the show "entertaining".
Respected Contributor

How did they make it to television????? I found their lifestyle strange, but they all seemed to like it. I know a lot of folks don't like the Duggars, but at least they have a big house to accommodate all of their children. Whatever makes them happy, but I won't be watching. As far as their dating requirements, don't the Duggars espouse the same philosophy?

Esteemed Contributor

I thought it was a promo for a new reality series. Was that the show in its entirety???

I don't know how they can stand living that way day after day, just driving and singing. But, then again, that's all they know. They are like Gypsies and we all know how they are eating and buying gas, right??? Just pass the cup around at every stop.

Oh and those twins are about a year old, right? One bathroom for 13 people. Everything looked so clean and organized - just like it was set up for the cameras. I can't imagine being cooped up like that, with kids yelling, fighting, babies crying, etc..... not for me. {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown} How can they even be home-schooled in such close quarters?

Super Contributor

I don't think I get that channel, I think I'd like to see that show just once. Their lifestyle sounds like a nightmare, something out of the Dark Ages. I agree with the OP, it does sound like a form of child abuse

Esteemed Contributor

It's another form of mental illness. Sorry for those under the tyranny of such a dad. They seem like nice folks but that's not how you raise children - in a compartment like an RV. These type of parents are like a cult of their own.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

On 10/29/2014 Hoovermom said:

How did they make it to television????? I found their lifestyle strange, but they all seemed to like it. I know a lot of folks don't like the Duggars, but at least they have a big house to accommodate all of their children. Whatever makes them happy, but I won't be watching. As far as their dating requirements, don't the Duggars espouse the same philosophy?

Agree, just another Duggar family. They all lived in a tiny house at the very beginning of their series. The Duggar kids can't have friends, they are homeschooled (one person cannot teach ALL grades and my guess is many of the younger kids are very behind in learning) , the parents pump out kids that the girls then are forced to raise, none of them can date - if you are a female you really lose out - dad picks your husband and none of the kids can be alone for any reason until they are married so they don't get to really know each other. Don't get me started on 20+ year olds who require chaperones to go everywhere.

I always thought the idea of parenthood was to raise your kids to know the difference between right and wrong so they would thrive and set foot out into the world with the ability to handle life based on their upbringing. Will never happen in the Duggar or this Allen family. I stopped watching TLC when this channel no longer was "The Learning Channel" but one where families with a lot of kids and multiples is now all it shows.

Honored Contributor

After about five minutes of seeing them in that bus I couldn't watch. I'd go crazy!

Esteemed Contributor

Okay - so how about Sister Wives and My Five Wives????? LOL

IMO, the only true, really real, Reality Show is "Shark Tank".... It's my favorite show of all time.

Sorry for being O/T.....Smile

Respected Contributor

I started to watch that too. It was right after Jill's wedding.

How all those people can live in such close quarters is beyond me. AND conceive children no less!

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York