Honored Contributor

Kitchen Remodel - GLITCH - UPDATE

First off thanks to all the positive posters who encouraged me to not let this happen, sharing with me the correct way to handle a contractor, i.e., down payments.

I finally received the REVISED paperwork from the kitchen designer on TUESDAY afternoon. She emailed it to me supposedly on MONDAY yet I called her TUESDAY and she said she would have it to me by the end of the day. She EMAILED me the revisions.

Option 1: "original quote", with selections I chose it would cost another $1300 but would NOT include the sink/faucet allowance and would be laminate top.

Option 2 stay with original quote and I could have a lower grade cabinet, no pot drawers, lighting bars, standard stand alone non-wood cabinets, with laminate tops and that would be an additional $700.

There were a few other things on the revised quote stating a few other higher options. Completely different then told re: price in showroom. (Just ignored this).

I pondered all day Tuesday to call her or not. Then I figured she sent it email for a reason!

Late last nite I decided to compose a clear & concise letter detailing the chronological order, inefficiency of staff and most important, the kitchen designer (she touts she has 25 years prior with lowe's as their top producer. Hmmmmm ????)

Her is the last 2 paragraphs of this letter:

In summary, your company came highly recommended, our decisions were solely based upon the quote given to us by you which were within our budgetary means.

I’m saddened by this entire situation more than you can imagine so it’s with deep regret for both of us I must ask for my 95% deposit of _____ returned to me immediately as it was given to you in good faith based on your quote and you are unable to honor it.

I will be happy to stop by your showroom and pick this check up personally.

"Imagine my surprise when my phone rang @ 7:00 am this morning - I let my answering machine take a message. It was the OWNER of the company who said he was outraged by the letter contents regarding the experience I've had & he was working on my quote for the past 2 hours. Please contact me immediately as I want to resolve this to your satisfaction.

I did not return the call as I had plans today & quite frankly, I'm still quite upset and didn't think I could think clearly. When I returned home about an hour ago-there were 5 messages from him stating he was extremely anxious to speak with us to resolve this issue.

Sometimes its easier for me to express myself in a letter. Hopefully this will have a happy ending (at least for me) because I'm sure he knows where the next step will be!

(I did inquire at our local Sheriff's office on this matter. Due to the amount given I would sign a complaint, they would deliver to him and he would have to appear in court. Apparently, this happens quite often in the state of FL - i'm sure this is the last thing he wants).

I'm hoping this issue can be resolved with an acceptable agreement to the both of us OR I will get my deposit returned. If he refuses my downpayment return then I will go to Sheriffs office and file complaint.

Again, I will keep you posted and again thank you all for sharing your experiences and showing me the correct way to handle construction/remodels.

Honored Contributor

Re: Kitchen Remodel - GLITCH - UPDATE

Great job! Don't let the owner bamboozle you into agreeing to something you do not want, i.e., accepting lessor quality details such as you posted. He has to supply you with everything you originally agreed to, and not charge one cent more than was agreed to. Remodeling is h--l! I had so many problems, the designer was a nightmare, I think due to her age, mismeasuring, on and on and on. I had to keep the contractor on his toes, questioning everything I didn't understand, or thought was too expensive. Of course, their answer to everything is tear it down and put all new, when repair would do nicely, and be much less expensive. They expect the client to just believe everything they say. Someone once told me that contractors think they can design, and they cannot, and it is true!

Did you check what the law is in Florida regarding a contractor asking for the full amount up front and before any work is done? Here, as I mentioned, that is illegal.

Respected Contributor

Good for you!!! I hate it when I have a quote on something and then it is changed (always for more money). Hold his feet to the fire and if he doesn't budge, get your money back and look for another contractor. Thanks for the update.

Honored Contributor

If you decide to opt for the return of your money, remember that the owner hasn't lost anything, as he hasn't ordered any materials, hasn't had to pay a worker, etc., if I recall. I'm too busy to re-read your posts, though. Regardless, Whatever you decide, lots of good luck from all of us! Smile

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

On 10/23/2014 ROMARY said:

If you decide to opt for the return of your money, remember that the owner hasn't lost anything, as he hasn't ordered any materials, hasn't had to pay a worker, etc., if I recall. I'm too busy to re-read your posts, though. Regardless, Whatever you decide, lots of good luck from all of us! Smile

He will claim his time, but I would say the 5% should be payment enough for that. My contractor turned out to be a whiner, saying it took a long time to draw up estimates, and on and on. He also claimed how much out of his pocket he spent and mentioned an outrageous figure which was a lie, so I told him to send me an itemization of what he spent. Did I receive it, no way, because there was no such thing, as no contractor is going to lose money, and if he makes mistakes, which he should not charge the client for, he will find a way to sneak it in somewhere.

Honored Contributor

I'm thinking/guessing, in my area, written estimates are free, so far. But, I'm not up to date on that matter. Wishing you good luck.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

On 10/23/2014 ROMARY said:

I'm thinking/guessing, in my area, written estimates are free, so far. But, I'm not up to date on that matter. Wishing you good luck.

Yes, they are, was just describing how whiny my contractor was. My project has ended, except for the final inspection, thank goodness.

Valued Contributor

Good job HD1!! You took control of the situation and you did it quickly, Congrats and I hope it all works out to your satisfaction. I'm sure it will based on what you have already accomplished. Nice example of someone who actually took action and didn't just whine.{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Super Contributor

Great job on the letter, OP, but do you really want to deal with this company after the difficulties you've had just getting a quote? They've gone back on their word time and again with you about materials, terms and asking for 95% up front is a big red flag. I would get my money back and then investigate other contractors. And you are now far more knowledgeable on how to do that. Best of luck with your remodel.