Super Contributor

Mother-of-the-bride dress advice, anyone?

My daughter is getting married in August, 2015! Whoo hoo! I'm excited! Smiley Happy

I need advice:

The bride is wearing a formal, long wedding dress.

The bridesmaids dresses that were chosen were short.

I had planned on wearing a long dress, as mother-of-the bride.

The mother-of-the-groom just bought her dress, and it is short (knee length).

Now, I'm kind of bummed because I thought that she and I should both either wear long or short dresses.

My daughter (the bride) says I should wear whatever I want to, but I think it may look a little "off" if everyone is wearing shorter dresses but me (and the bride of course).

What's your opinion? Should I wear what I want, or do you think it would look funny if I were the only one wearing a long dress, besides the bride?

Any opinions would be nice!

Thanks!

Respected Contributor

Re: Mother-of-the-bride dress advice, anyone?

I think it would be fine if you wore a long dress. Congratulations, next August will be here before you know it. BTW David's bridal has a great selection of long dresses, I found a beautiful one there for my sister's wedding and yes it was floor length.
Esteemed Contributor

I wouldn't wear a long dress; I'd wear a dress that covered my knees or to mid-calf.

Honored Contributor

Wear a long dress if that is what you prefer. I've been the MOG and I waited until the MOB chose her dress before I chose mine.

Nordstrom always as a great selection of dresses and wonderful service.

Congratulations to your daughter. Have fun with all the plans.

Honored Contributor

Usually the two mothers converse and jointly decide on the style, length and color of their dresses. My daughter was married two years ago and the groom's mother and I coordinated our outfits. I would do as your daughter, the bride, suggested. Wear what makes you happy......and what makes her happy.

Respected Contributor

I would wear your dress knee length or a little longer, but not a long length one. I was just at my nephews wedding (very small.) The bride wore a long gown, all the other dresses (bridesmaid, mother of the bride, and grandmother) were knee length EXCEPT for the mother of the groom, she wore a gown. IMHO, she looked very out of place (although the gown was really pretty.) There are many nice shorter length dresses out there ... hope you find what you are looking for!

Honored Contributor

WEAR THE LENGTH YOU WANT. The MOG made a mistake- it is you who choose your dress first and she follows suit. My most recent DDIL requested that I wear a long gown, as her mother did. It will not look OFF if you as MOB wears a long dress. If your DD, THE BRIDE, is happy with your choice, it is PERFECT.
Honored Contributor

Just think of the pictures and how it'll look if only you and the bride are wearing long dresses. No problem with the bride but I think I'd probably look for a knee length dress to kind-of coordinate with the entire wedding party.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I'd wear a shorter (not long) dress. Maybe a mid length. Not too long, not too short. In a coordinating color that will look nice with the bridesmaids and MOG, if possible. Wedding photos are important, but since your dear daughter has told you to wear whatever you would like to wear, then, go ahead and find a dress that you love and feel beautiful wearing.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

It is harder to find a dressy short dress that doesn't look too cocktail. There are more dressy or formal long gowns to choose from. I wore a long gown to my son's wedding ( the MOB and the bride said that was fine), the bride had a traditional wedding gown, the MOB wore tea length, and the bridesmaids wore short. Everyone looked beautiful. I feel if you are the MOB or MOG, go for the gusto, these are the days we live for!!!