Esteemed Contributor

I was walking my dog this evening and a teenager was on his bike riding in the bike lane. This man in an SUV failed to make a complete stop at the stop sign and hit the young man. I saw the accident and as I walked by the man he was trying to fix the boy's bicycle that was bent. He seemed like he was limping when he walked away from his bike. I told the teenager to call the police and he said he was not hurt. I told him you never know and you need to call the police. The man just stood there and did not say a word. I think he was trying to pull one over on the young man. I felt sorry for him. I told him I was trying to help him and he called the police. If the man had left the scene, it would have been a hit and run. All the cars on the street just drove by the accident. I am really beginning to wonder about people. If I had not been on the scene, the young man would have got on his bicycle and road away. The man should have called the police immediately. Parents really need to work with their children and keep them informed of how to handle situations. The young man thanked me. I hope he is going to be ok. If It had not been for walking my dog and he needed to go, I would have stayed with him until the police came. The man that hit him had bright red cheeks and his daughter was with him. People!!!!!

Honored Contributor

Re: TEENAGER ON BIKE HIT BY SUV

What did you do to help the situation? Did you get a license plate number or the phone number of the teen? I don't do any walking outside but for necessities. I do all of my walking on one of our treadmills. Do walk the Boxers that my wife is fostering while she is at work.

Were I to walk on streets or roads I would carry 2 things with me, 1 of them would be a cell phone and the other? I will only say it can go "bang, bang" if trouble arises. Would have been able to call 911 and I certainly would have, and if the guy drove off? I would have his plate number and he could be in some serious trouble.

Ain't no way I would let an adult pull a fast one on a young person, or anyone for that matter, that was in some type of accident with possible injuries.

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

You left the young man because your dog needed to go to the bathroom? Seems like you could have stepped over to a grassy area yet stayed at the scene. He could have used the moral support and witness when the police got there.

Honored Contributor

A dog can pee anywhere. Perhaps it's the mother in me but I would NOT have left a kid alone under those circumstances. I'm sure he was terribly shaken up by what happened what prevented the guy in the car from taking off after you left the scene? I don't care if the boy said he was okay or not; I would have stayed with that kid until the police arrived; for support and also to give the police the complete story and that's man's license plate number.

Esteemed Contributor

Just to let you critics know my dog does not do good around a group of people. Also, the young man had the police on the phone. Also, not one car stopped to help the young man. They all just drove by while the young man laid in the street. I was the only one who offered to help him. So maybe, I am not high on your list of what to do but I tried to help him the best I could at the time. The man did not leave the scene because I watched him. I was looking out for his best interest because he was going to get on his bicycle and ride away. He said he felt ok but I wanted him to do the right thing. I do not have a cellphone or paper and pen with me when I walk my dog.

Super Contributor

Elated, if you have a cell phone I think you should consider carrying it while on your walks with your dog. You never know!

I think you did the best you could at the time with this occurrence! A difficult situation!

In Sunny AZ
Esteemed Contributor

Elated, you did good by encouraging the young man to call the police, and I am glad he did. I hope he is ok, things certainly can show up later, I am sure the man knows this, that is why he did not encourage the young man to call the police.