Esteemed Contributor

Thank you, Mrs. Berry, My 7th Grade Home Ec Teacher

Hello Everyone,

I don't post here often, but just had to praise my Home Ec teacher, Mrs. Berry.

In the San Francisco Unified School District in 1959, all 7th grade girls had to take Home Ed and all boys had to take Shop. During the 7th grade we learned some great basics in sewing. However, there was one summer in jr. hi. when I wasn't going to Michigan and would be going to our summer cabin in August, so decided to take Sewing in a 6 week summer school session with my friend Marianne. All of our friends thought we were weird with a capital "W." But---we got lucky because Mrs. Berry was teaching this 6 week unit at a neighboring jr. hi.

During this six weeks, Marianne and I learned how to make an inset sleeve in a blouse, so made 3 blouses each. Then we made a pleated skirt and kulots (sp?). We kept sewing our little fingers off until the 6 weeks were up. Mrs. Berry was great through it all and paid the two of us more attention because we came from Hoover Jr. Hi. where she taught. I now know how fortunate I was.

Now fast forward: This last week, using a Vogue pattern, I made my daughter an open-form fleece jacket with inset sleeves & felting geometric design flashes. I could not have done this without the help of Mrs. Berry all thos years ago and a 16 year old cousin who taught me how to felt 10 years ago.

I'm now 67 and still remember so many sewing tips from her.

~R

p.s. Sticker shock: The Vogue pattern I purchased cost $25.00! Yikes!

Valued Contributor

Re: Thank you, Mrs. Berry, My 7th Grade Home Ec Teacher

I, too, had a Mrs. Berry only she was called MOM. My mother designed and made her own clothes. She even designed and made her own wedding gown, complete with train. Try as she might, her daughter (moi) had no interest in sewing and could barely sew a straight seam. However, I did learn enough to make simple skirts and shorts but that's about it. Mom was heartbroken, as she loved to sew. I deeply regret not learning the finer points. I am 68 years of age and lost Mom 8 years ago at the age of 94. Talk about sticker shock: While cleaning out her things, I found some Vogue patterns for $.25 Can you imagine a Vogue pattern for $.25? Of course, back in her era, that was expensive. She loved Vogue as they had more upscale designs. I'm glad you developed a passion for sewing, which has become a lost art. Also, clothes today are so cheaply made and by sewing you can ensure a quality product. You can also make things that are trendy, for a fraction of the cost at retail, and will not be 'in' next year. Enjoy your sewing. Reading your post has me thinking I may like to take it up again and learn to make quality garments. Thanks. docsgirl

Trusted Contributor

Thank you for sharing the happy memories and lessons retained, sfnative. God bless the Mrs. Berrys of this world. Smile

Esteemed Contributor

On 9/22/2014 docsgirl said:

I, too, had a Mrs. Berry only she was called MOM. My mother designed and made her own clothes. She even designed and made her own wedding gown, complete with train. Try as she might, her daughter (moi) had no interest in sewing and could barely sew a straight seam. However, I did learn enough to make simple skirts and shorts but that's about it. Mom was heartbroken, as she loved to sew. I deeply regret not learning the finer points. I am 68 years of age and lost Mom 8 years ago at the age of 94. Talk about sticker shock: While cleaning out her things, I found some Vogue patterns for $.25 Can you imagine a Vogue pattern for $.25? Of course, back in her era, that was expensive. She loved Vogue as they had more upscale designs. I'm glad you developed a passion for sewing, which has become a lost art. Also, clothes today are so cheaply made and by sewing you can ensure a quality product. You can also make things that are trendy, for a fraction of the cost at retail, and will not be 'in' next year. Enjoy your sewing. Reading your post has me thinking I may like to take it up again and learn to make quality garments. Thanks. docsgirl

docsgirl,

I just have to ask: did you and your family live in San Francisco and was your Mom a teacher? This would just be too much of a coincidence; but, my Mrs. Berry had a daughter a bit older than me, so my interest is peaked.

That said, it would be really nice for you to pick up sewing again. I would not have made the jacket for my daughter's birthday had I not made a visit to our humongous fabric/sewing center here in Portland where this garment has been made and was on display. I just got su-ked right over to it - it was so divine! Knew I had to make it for my daughter.

While I was making it, I talked a time or to to my step-mother who I lost over 10 years ago, asking for her help. She was a fashion designer and layout artist in the L.A. and S.F. crowds and made the most incredible clothes.

Thank you so much for responding. I loved reading about your past sewing experiences and your wonderful Mom.

~R

Esteemed Contributor

On 9/22/2014 LurkyLoo said:

Thank you for sharing the happy memories and lessons retained, sfnative. God bless the Mrs. Berrys of this world. Smile

I say a big Amen to that!!!

Valued Contributor

sfnative,

No, I did not live in San Fran. I was born and raised in New York City. Mom loved high fashion but grew up poor. She worked on 7th Avenue where she met my dad. On her lunch hour, she would walk up to 5th and browse in the windows of the hoity-toity stores. When she saw a garment she really liked, she would sketch it and make her own pattern out of newspapers. I have photos of her in all her grace, elegance, and class in her homemade attire. Sometimes she would copy from the store windows and sometimes she would create out of her own brain. She was never a teacher but I am. Although I am now retired, I work part time as a substitute teacher, a job I love. The story of the jacket you made for you dear daughter is very heartwarming. I am in the process of moving but once I get settled, I'll get out the machine that Mom bought me many years ago, and start sewing. I know I need to take lessons and that should be fun. Your post has really inspired me. Thank you. docsgirl

Honored Contributor

My father, who could do anything he set his mind to, took a job during the Depression making ladies' silk undergarments, and although I'm sure he was mortified doing it, he made good pay and kept his family afloat. When I hit 7th geade sewing, he came to realize that he had a choice- "help" me with my my ghastly dimity apron or have a daughter who would remain indefinitely in 7th grade or cheat. So, for the first and ONLY time in my life, he cheated, I cheated, and I passed. My project became a rag used for washing the DeSoto. Years later, I developed a fairly refined skill in fancy needlework, but not because of what had happened in 7th grade!
Respected Contributor

It's a shame these practical arts are no longer taught. Young people don't know how to sew on a button or pound a nail. But they can hack an ipad.

Valued Contributor

violann,

I'm laughing hysterically at the story of 'cheating' on your sewing project. When I was in high school, we had to make a simple skirt. None of my friends could measure, cut, pin, sew, etc.. Nothing was allowed to be taken home and all work had to be completed in class. My mother was a phenomenal seamstress so a few days before the skirts were due, in a panic, we decided to stuff our skirts in our bags and bring them to my mother. She was stunned with she saw so many skirts with so many mistakes. One girl sewed the front to the front instead of the front to the back and she had no clue what the extra piece was for. Fortunately, she didn't throw the back piece away or she would have failed the class. Mom, God love her, stayed up night and day and finished all of our skirts. I remember her exact words: 'You will all get A's but you will not 'earn' those A's. Those A's are mine. I will teach all of you how to sew so you can wear lovely fashions for a fraction of the cost of purchasing them in the store.' Some of my friends learned, some not. THE DAUGHTER...NOT!!!! docsgirl

Respected Contributor

I used to love Home Ec in high school and loved my teachers (graduated in 1969). I majored in Home Economics in college. Didn't teach HE though, taught Biology for one year and that was enough for me to get out of the teaching business...

KatieB