Trusted Contributor

Neighbor Lady Asked Me to Meet Her Son Because...

She wanted me to figure out what is wrong with him! {#emotions_dlg.confused1} At first, I thought she was going to ask me to date him, when she said "I want you to meet my son." I have no desire to do that!

She actually said she wants to get "my take" on what might be troubling him and if I can detect depression, etc. She was going to invite me to dinner tonight when he came to visit. I told her that would be awkward for me and not fair to him. I also told her I'm not qualified to detect behaviorial or mental issues. Yikes!!!

She actually sounded a bit miffed that I didn't want to undertake this investigation! {#emotions_dlg.crying}

She's a nice lady. I'll put her garbage can back in her porch on garbage day and bring her newspaper to her door when I can... but I draw the line at trying to figure out her son.

What a strange thing to ask someone.

Honored Contributor

Re: Neighbor Lady Asked Me to Meet Her Son Because...

That is strange. Unless you are a professional in that field.

Honored Contributor

I think I'd rather eat worms, than be asked to do something like this. Obviously, your neighbor realizes her son has some problems. She should be addressing them with him, and not be trying to drag non-family members into this drama.

Honored Contributor

{#emotions_dlg.laugh} It's so bizarre, it's funny. I think you made the right decision.

Trusted Contributor

I know. It was such a weird request. By meeting him, I'm supposed to know what his issues are? From what she tells me about him, he sounds opinionated and lazy. His mother has major health issues and he's in denial that she's ill and may need assistance.

I have to laugh wondering if I met him and told her I think he has many issues, what would she do then? The guy is 30 something... she needs to let go and let him take some responsiblity for his own life.

Thanks for the responses.

Honored Contributor

It sounds like she may have some issues of her own she needs to deal with.

Respected Contributor

Well I see why you wouldn't want to do it because it might be something she is doing and you wouldn't want to be the one to tell her. Or perhaps he might come across to you as gay and hasn't told her and why would you want to tell her and then you really wouldn't know for sure unless he told you.

Esteemed Contributor

Tell her to contact Dr. Phil maybe he can help the mother and the son. You did make the right choice. Very creepy and weird.

Honored Contributor

I know what his problem is. He has a crazy mother! Step away from those people........

Respected Contributor

Yes, put some distance between you. You don't have to be overly friendly. Just friendly enough.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero