Frequent Contributor

College Tour... Tip the guide or not? $$$$

We have started the college tour process. Today we are visiting a school where my son has a friend going. We are registered for the information session and group tour, but sHe will be giving us a private tour. Should I slip her a few $$$$ ? How much??? I am soooo bad at this. Thank you.
Honored Contributor

Re: College Tour... Tip the guide or not? $$$$

I don't think a tip is necessary, but if you'll be going out to eat afterward it would be appropriate to invite her.

Esteemed Contributor

No, this is not a tour guide this is a paid employee or paid student employee of the university.

ITA that if you stop at one of the school's cafeteria's, coffee shop, etc then offer to buy them lunch or a beverage.

Honored Contributor

On 9/20/2014 Snowpuppy said:

No, this is not a tour guide this is a paid employee or paid student employee of the university.

ITA that if you stop at one of the school's cafeteria's, coffee shop, etc then offer to buy them lunch or a beverage.

ITA with this

Honored Contributor

OP has stated that it's the son's friend who is giving them a "private" tour, in addition to the events the college is providing. The friend is not a college tour guide, paid by the college.

Honored Contributor

College kids can always use some extra cash and if it's a friend of your son's then I would give them $20.00 and maybe offer to take them to lunch. With a typical group tour where you don't know the guide I wouldn't give anything and have never seen anyone give anything.

Honored Contributor

Very nice of the friend. I'd give him a $20 dollar bill, maybe more.......depends on how many hours he spent touring. Also, I'd pay for a nice lunch, maybe someplace outside the campus.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Frequent Contributor

Thank you everyone. We are back. I did give her $20.00 and bought a coffee. She had to work at noon and son had soccer practice so no lunch time.
Honored Contributor

My nephew is a college guide. Just asked him....Nope. Do not tip. Please do not tip. It's not needed since he's paid very well for this job...and its just awkward.

Honored Contributor

People here are always asking questions about who to tip. I think many people like this young person or the plumber would actually be insulted if offered tips. They are not service workers and make much more than minimum wage. The plumber probably makes more than most of his customers. Plumbers and electricians are the highest paid workers in the construction trades.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment