Respected Contributor

Cat problem---Please He needs help

My 11 year old male cat started pulling out his beautiful last Jan. He got a shot t hat helped until July, He got another shot that did nothing. I gave him allergy pills, no help, I have used apple cider vinegar, no help, I changed his food to Gluten free no corn 4 weeks ago, don't know yet if it is helping.

Has anyone else had this problem PLEASE, PLEASE help. my baby is suffering and I can't bear it.

I am taking back to the Dr. today to try Prednesalone pills if they don't work I will have to have the allergy blood test done, expensive but he is worth it.

Don't worry, be Happy!
Trusted Contributor

Re: Cat problem---Please He needs help

I don't have any suggestions.... but I think there is a pet forum somewhere.... you might find people there who could help you.... best wishes.

Trusted Contributor

Pulling out fur? I am not sure of your question. My cat did this and it was a behavioral problem, once they start it, it's extremely hard to get them to stop.

Esteemed Contributor

Please come to our Pet Chat forum.... I think he either has a allergy problem or he is just bored. Buy him some new kitty toys.

Respected Contributor

It is definitely an allergy to something. He has always been a very social cat and still tries to be but he is miserable

I have gone to numerous sites and have not received any helpful help.

Don't worry, be Happy!
Respected Contributor

On 9/17/2014 Matty6 said:

Please come to our Pet Chat forum.... I think he either has a allergy problem or he is just bored. Buy him some new kitty toys.

What category is the pet chat forum under?

Don't worry, be Happy!
Esteemed Contributor

On 9/17/2014 golfcartrider said:
On 9/17/2014 Matty6 said:

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin} Please come to our Pet Chat forum.... I think he either has a allergy problem or he is just bored. Buy him some new kitty toys.

What category is the pet chat forum under?

It's Pet Lovers Forum under "For the Home". I'm sorry your cat is having this problem. I have no suggestions, but there is a thread called "Schmoo, kitty fighter" where the OP, Sammycat1, is sort of considered a "resident expert" on cat care.

There is also a website you could try - it's the site of a renowned cat behavioral expert. http://www.catbehaviorassociates.com/

I hope this helps - I'm a cat lover as you can tell from my nic, and I hate to see any of them having problems.

You might want to repost this on the Pet Lovers Forum - there are many wonderful people who know a lot about cats.

Honored Contributor

I assume you meant to say pulling out his fur. My sister's 8 year old cat was doing that, it was very distressing. He's an indoor cat and has no exposure to other animals. In his case, it was not an allergy, it was behavioral. We knew it wasn't an allergy because nothing in his environment changed, no new meds or foods, no new chemicals in the house, no new fabrics. It just started. He got a clean bill of health from his vet who suggested a crew cut and distraction. After his haircut, there wasn't enough hair left for him to get his teeth on. Not that he didn't try. When he did my sister distracted him with toys, treats, clapping her hands. The thing that worked best was spritzing him with water from a spray bottle. He hates that and he'd get very angry with her when she did it. But he stopped trying to rip out his fur. His fur grew back. He's not 100% cured, she's says he's about 90% cured. She keeps water bottles around so she can "spritz" him when needed.

Occasional Contributor

Do you live in an apartment building or duplex? I had this issue with my last cat. It came up out of the blue & the vet couldn't find anything wrong with her. He said it was most likely behavioral, but we just didn't know why. I live in a duplex, and she stopped pulling out her fur the day after my neighbors moved out. She must have heard something on the other side of that wall that I couldn't hear. That cat has since passed away & I now have a new cat and new neighbors. The neighbors' son played video games 24/7. My cat started having behavioral issues as soon as they moved in (but no issues with the neighbors that were there before this family). Their son left for college a couple of weeks ago, and my cat is back to normal.

Contributor

Could it ""just"" be that his fur is too long and bothering him so that's why he's pulling it out? And as a senior cat he might be much more sensitive to that kind of thing than he was when he was younger.

I speak from experience. I have a senior cat with long fur and it bothers him when it gets past a certain length--he literally starts biting it off. I get him groomed every 7 weeks but sometimes that's not soon enough and we find clumps of fur on the carpet.

Good luck and good health to your kitty!