Super Contributor

Question on American Girl Dolls

I am thinking of getting our Granddaughter (she will be almost 6) at Christmas, an American Girl Doll. I knew they were expensive, but wow ! Thought of purchasing a cheaper version, or go to outlets? I know I can get cute outfits at craft shows, Target, online, but the price of the doll is a lot. Any suggestions?

Honored Contributor

Re: Question on American Girl Dolls

Can you make one with her (all sewn) that she can carry around and to bed? On the line of a Raggedy Anne doll.

Contributor

Get the real doll. These kids know fakes. Buy clothing at craft shows. I am a grandma whose bought 8 of them for my granddaughters. They love and cherish them for years.

Honored Contributor

Target used to sell some called Our Generation. I'm not certain if they still do but they remind me of the American Girl Dolls. There is also a company called Harmony Club Dolls you might check out.

Honored Contributor

On 9/7/2014 TAZZY said:

Get the real doll. These kids know fakes. Buy clothing at craft shows. I am a grandma whose bought 8 of them for my granddaughters. They love and cherish them for years.

They certainly do know fakes. One of my least favorite memories is taking 5 young girls to the AG store on 5th Avenue.{#emotions_dlg.scared}

There are numerous dolls that are considered knock-offs. If you buy them, do not try to pass them off as AG dolls. Trust me they or their friends will know.

Around the holidays last year, the TODAY show or GMA had in Steals and Deals (or Deals and Steals) AG dolls for 1/2 price.

No one would ever consider me to be a cheapskate. I think AG dolls, their clothes and their accessories are a HUGE rip-off.

Esteemed Contributor

Michaels has dolls that look like the AG dolls...my granddaughter received one from her other grandma and she loves it....carries it around all the time....she was just here this weekend and the doll was with her....they have a nice selection of clothes for the doll, too....she is 8...

these dolls are way cheaper as are the clothing....

maybe if the girls are older...say 12 and up...you might want to invest in the real ones....but the younger girls love the so called knock offs.....

Honored Contributor

I have two daughters and many nieces. If your grandchild wants an American Girl Doll, you shouldn't substitute. If she's like most girls, she wants a specific AG doll. So, that's what you should buy her. She won't be happy with a generic doll. However, if she isn't asking Santa for an AG doll; then you can buy a generic doll. Six year olds know what they want and the world of AG dolls is much more than "a doll". The girls who enter that world treasure their dolls and the outfits and the accessories for years and years. They go from dolls they play with to dolls they collect. My girls are in their late 20's now and they intend to pass their dolls down to their future daughters.

Honored Contributor

Bite the bullet and take her with you to pick out her own AG doll! You will be the favorite granny forever and she will always remember that. It's worth that memory in itself. I bought my daughter 3 of them during her young years as her b-day is the 23rd of Dec. She still has them now at age 31 and still remembers with squeals of delight, opening them up on her b-day. And I made clothes for them as there are patterns specifically branded for AG dolls. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Respected Contributor

I agree. If she wants an AG doll, the knockoffs won't cut it.

If you can't afford the doll, I would just get her something else.

Respected Contributor

On 9/7/2014 TAZZY said:

Agree, buy the real thing. Target has some accessories that are ok. But if you can, plan a trip to the store and let your g'girl chose her own doll. We did this and had lunch-reservtions recommended.