Occasional Contributor

Have you ever experienced...

Has anyone every experienced any kind of horrible customer service where the other person is so inconsiderate and mean? I just did...With a seller on amazon. My daughter ordered a textbook for a history class about a month ago and today was her 1st full day of class. Her teacher said that everyone should get that same textbook except it has to say AP EDITION. So I contacted the seller to return it and explained my reasons and they said since it was shipped on July 28, it was past 30 days. It only went a FEW days over and my daughter had not even opened the book; it was still in the shrink-wrap. I then asked the seller for an exchange to the AP edition but they also denied that since that meant I would have to return it and buy another one. The book was more than $100 and they couldn't even exchange It for me! For future reference, the seller was Stork Group. Please don't buy from them. I'm sorry for this huge message, but I just wanted to let it out.
Super Contributor

Re: Have you ever experienced...

I'm sorry that you experienced the frustration of this situation. I don't mean this to sound harsh, and maybe I don't quite understand the circumstances - but, it sounds like the seller was within their rights. It was past the return policy date.

Respected Contributor

That seller is very foolish. She cannot be very successful if she treats customers like she treated you. So sorry!

Trusted Contributor

I, too, agree with the seller. The OP purchased a book, waited past the 30-day return period, and wants to return it or exchange it. This is a risk one takes when buying textbooks online well in advance of the beginning to class.

If the book had been purchased at the school bookstore, though, they likely would have only accepted it for a full return for a few days after the start of the class. My roommate just changed his math class, requiring a different book. The university bookstore would only exchange the book for full value for five days after the start of class; after that, the value slowly declined. The OP should be glad it is a relatively inexpensive book as some textbooks can be quite a bit higher.

I would suggest trying to sell the book to recoup some of the cost and chalk the difference up to a :lesson learned."

Honored Contributor

Yes, I have experienced horrible customer service at one time or another, but I don't feel the OP's experience is horrible customer service. The Stork Group was within their rights to refuse since it was beyond the return time. The OP may see it as only a few days late, but it's still past the return time.

Honored Contributor

What did the book description say? AP Edition or not, in the future be sure to search by the ISBN #, there are many books for sale with the same description so it gets confusing.

Sounds as though your daughter did not buy the correct book

Turn around and sell it on Amz your self, should be easy to do.

Esteemed Contributor

On 9/6/2014 JeanLouiseFinch said:

Yes, I have experienced horrible customer service at one time or another, but I don't feel the OP's experience is horrible customer service. The Stork Group was within their rights to refuse since it was beyond the return time. The OP may see it as only a few days late, but it's still past the return time.

I agree. If there's a cut-off date, then that's what it is. "A few days" past the return date is still past the return date. And by following thru with the transaction, your daughter agreed to abide by the return policy.

What good is a return policy if a seller is expected to make allowances for everyone, a few days here, a few days there? There has to be an actual cut-off - Otherwise, they'd be processing returns & exchanges indefinitely, and that's not an efficient way to run a business.

I don't see this at all as horrible customer service (or "inconsiderate and mean"). All they did was remind a customer about their return policy. They agreed to send the book that was ordered and that's what they did, so their responsibility has been met.

(I just googled The Stork Group, and their return policy is clearly stated. They also have a 4.9 out of 5 star rating, with many comments about the ease of communication & satisfaction with their customer service. I understand this being a frustrating experience, but I just don't see how The Stork Group has done anything wrong.)

Kiss

Honored Contributor

I've ran into many of these in my lifetime, but Amazon? Have chatted and spoken in person with Amazon Representatives and have found them to be among the best and most customer oriented than 99% of the other online, or other retailers in the business.

When you say "seller on Amazon" are you referring to a 3rd party retailer that sells on Amazon? If so, how and why in the world were you even speaking with a representative of that company?

I have had a problem with 2 of the many 3rd part retailers I ordered from through Amazon. I called Amazon and they took care of my problems. I had no direct dealing with the 3rd party retailer as Amazon took care of and rectified my problems. Don't get why that great company would have transferred you over to a 3rd part rep.

While I have dealt with many, not so nice retail reps, none of them have been with Amazon and I don't ever expect to run into one with that company. I also do not expect to talk directly with a 3rd part retailer if I am unhappy with a purchase from them through Amazon.

If you haven't spoken with Amazon I suggest you do so and air your complaint with them. If they are concerned about this retailer they will be a "former" retailer through the Amazon company, in my opinion.

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

If you tried to return the book after the stated return date, I'm afraid the seller is within her rights. It might be nice if the seller accommodated you since the book is still in its wrapper -- but they don't have to. You waited too long.

Esteemed Contributor

Put it on eBay, get what you can for it since it's in New condition and buy the replacement she needs.