Trusted Contributor

Meet Up Groups Online - What Do You Think?

There is a Meetup.com event in my area next week for a group to meet and discuss the works of an author on psychology. I like the author and found a flyer about the event at the local university. I went online to read more about it and only 3 people are going (or at least that is what it shows on website). There is a $20 fee to attend. My question is I have some reservations about going because I just wonder how safe it is.

I don't do Facebook or Twitter. I've had issues in the past with a man following me home from a local park where I used to run. So, I'm always careful and don't want my name out there or to put myself in situations that may not be safe.

I guess I'm worried that some people may come to this thing if they see that only women are attending or it's a small group... because in such an open invitation, you never know who might be there for reasons beyond the actual intended topic.

I know I sound paranoid, but I live alone and have had bad experiences and don't want to put myself in an uncomfortable situation. Just wondered if anyone has had experience with the Meetup.com thing. I guess since there is a fee to attend, it won't bring someone off the street to spend that money, but again, there are strange people everywhere.

I appreciate any feedback or thoughts on the subject. Thanks.

Super Contributor

Re: Meet Up Groups Online - What Do You Think?

Where is it being held? Who is heading it up? Who receives the money? How long has this sort of thing been going on, or is this the first meeting? Have you checked the Better Business Bureau if you know the answer to any of these things? Can you take a friend?

Is there security? Where is the parking?

I'd say gather all of the information you possibly can about this function, the people involved, the location, and any question that concerns you before you decide on attending. Then, if you feel secure in the facts, consider going with a friend to check it out.

But I would do some on line research or some kind about the group first.

Good luck, it sounds interesting, and could be very innocent, but I understand your concerns

given your comments. Hope it works out favorably.

Respected Contributor

I joined a walking group on Meet up. Its a local group that is huge, but not everyone goes on every hike. I go if I see there are at least ten people going, and some women. I don't think there's anything to worry about, but you're right to be alert. If you have any concerns at all, skip.this particular meeting. Or take a friend along for the first time. We have intuition for a reason.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

If you are hesitating, then I would 'forget it'. Maybe Web search the author, find book signings, etc. Sometimes intuition speaks for itself.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

I've never used Meetup but I know people who have.

There is a Meetup for Moms of Toddlers here. They meet at a public place, usually a church because there's no fee. There maybe a small charge for babysitting if you bring children.It's a morning out once or twice a month. If you've ever been a SAHM you know you need to get out!! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

I know people who use Meetup who are sports enthusiasts. They meet at local sporting goods/camper/boatshows. All public places with invites to go have a bite to eat later if you're inclined.

I like the book discussion. If it's at a coffee shop or other public venue I wouldn't have a problem. If it turns out to be truly creepy.....head for the ladies room and don't return!!

Trusted Contributor

Everyone is so helpful and understanding. Thank you!!

The organizers are two ladies who are life coaches who have training in the program the author writes about and are certified to teach her principles in these discussion groups. They are legitimate at what they do. The thing that bugs me is I have to pay $20 and it's probably for the room rental. The room is at an executive suite building where they rent out offices.

The part that bothers me is anybody can read this online and go. It shows how many RSVP's there are and right now only 3... that includes the two planners, so only one other woman is going. There are members whose pictures are on the site, but they haven't RSVP'd yet. Some are men, most women. I'm not going to spend $20 to have a 4 person discussion group for 90 min. I just worry about any of these events when anybody can come and may not be legitimately interested in the program, but in seeing who is there. It's in the evening too.

I love the author and think it's a neat idea, but these online things just worry me. I e-mailed the planner myself to find out about it because I won't put my name on the website.

Thanks for all the good feedback. It makes me feel better that my concerns aren't paranoia on my part. You really have to be comfortable and careful these days. Plus I have no one to take with me and can't expect someone to go and pay $20 too.

I think I'll just stick to reading her books and watching her on TV when she's on OWN or speaking online.

I think $20 is too high for something you aren't sure you're going to even enjoy.

Thanks again for your kind comments.

Honored Contributor

You made the right decision, IMO. Good for you!!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I think there are good and bad ones. However if you don't feel comfortable about it then I wouldn't do it. I was going to join one, and had the leaders name, so I googled her, and in the search results up popped all these odd videos she had posted. So I decided to watch a few. They were about problems she had in her life, and I found some of them were very strange/creepy and it made me uncomfortable enough not to join. I was glad I came across them!

Respected Contributor

Follow your intuition and you'll never go wrong. Smiley Happy
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

My friend talked me into flying to CA to a online group for a weekend get together in 2011. My husband flew there also. I had never met any of the attendees before and was nervous.

We all stayed in a mansion in the Hollywood hills and some had bedrooms, some slept in the home's huge livingrooms overlooking LA.

We all had the best time and we just got back from our 4th get together a few weeks ago.

More ladies from the QVC forum and others took the plunge and showed up also. We had a ball.

http://blog.pearlparadise.com/2014/08/pearl-guide-ruckus-2014/