Contributor

I have quite a few greeting cards from friends and family. Been tackling the clutter and have been successful but have saved cards and need a new system. Do you keep them from year to year then toss? Do you toss them after the occasion is over with? Keep a few special ones? When my parents passed away they had saved cards and they didn't mean much to me so I know what I have will not mean a thing to my daughter. I have saved cards from 2 of my dearest friends and haven't looked at them since I put them away. More of a sentimental item than a needed item. I have saved some of the fronts that I really like and framed them. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: Accumulating greeting cards

I read and throw them away. Actually I shred them because our recycling center takes shredded paper. I only have kept two, one from my husband and one from my parents, from the last year my mom was alive. I keep the memories in my head and heart and don't need the cards.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Valued Contributor

I keep most of the ones from my family. I saved all the postcards my sister sent when she went to Europe and I have saved all the letters she and parents wrote to me. They are in 2 paper bags at the moment, but I just bought some nice boxes to keep them in. To me, they are like little time capsules and don't take up much space. When I pass away, they can toss them.

Honored Contributor

I would keep all of the cards in waterproof containers. We really never know who, down the line, will treasure those cards. They will be 'vintage' many years from now. Also, I have made postcards out of greeting cards. Make sure you use the first class envelope stamps on them, though. Sometimes if the post card is even a slight bit larger than the standard post card, it won't be delivered unless it has the higher priced regular postage stamp.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

I have started recycle/using them for note pads. I keep cards from family,but that is all. I have kept several pretty Christmas cards, with intentions of somehow recycling tham also.

Honored Contributor

look at them and recycle

the only ones I have are from my wedding and when my kids were born, everything else recycled otherwise it piles up

Honored Contributor

I only save cards that are particularly beautiful or unique. I have them in scrapbook. I did have a box of old cards but I kept special ones from my husband and my girls and through most of the others away. I'm not into clutter anymore.

Respected Contributor

I used to save cards when I was much younger. I moved a lot and dragged them from place to place. Eventually I went through them and they didn't really mean anything to me so I pitched them. Now I never save cards. I display them for a few days when I get them, then they go into the trash.

Honored Contributor

You could always scan them into your computer, then destroy. I don't keep junk like that. It accumulates and becomes overwhelming.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I have kept a few. The last ones I received from my grandparents before they passed, as well.as the last one from my aunt before she passed.

Before I moved a couple years ago, I had a scrapbook with all of the cards since my birth. My mom had started it. I looked through them all one more time, scanned a couple, then recycled the rest.

Now when I get a card, I keep it for a short while after the event, and then recycle.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero