Respected Contributor

My dishcloth's sour overnight. Anyone have any suggestions on how to stop this. I have to use a fresh cloth everyday.

Don't worry, be Happy!
Super Contributor

Do you live in an area with high humidity? Since moving to a drier climate my dishcloths and washcloths do not have that issue, but I still like using fresh cloths everyday. Be sure to rinse the cloths thoroughly, squeeze out as much water as you can, a rinse with white vinegar can help, too, then hang them where air can circulate around (like over the faucet).

Respected Contributor

I do live in high humidity. I try to wring them out as much as possible and I use microfiber to dry faster but they still sour.

I am going to purchase enough to use a fresh one every day and be done with the problem.

Thanks and have a great day!

Don't worry, be Happy!
Honored Contributor

I don't have a dishcloth or sponge in the house. I use Clorox wipes in the kitchen and bathroom. With the others I just feel like I'm spreading germs around.

Honored Contributor

I have been having that problem this summer, because my husband likes to wash the dishes, but never rinses the soap out of the dishcloth when he's finished in the kitchen. The soap that is left in the cloth is what is souring. Every night he soaks the cloth in cold water with just a splash of bleach, and then rinses well. With this schedule, I change dishcloths every time I wash a load of towels, which is every 3 days, and am confident my dishcloth is not spreading bacteria in my kitchen.

Honored Contributor

Do you run a dishwasher load after dinner? Set it to run while you sleep and stick the dishcloth on the top rack of the dishwasher. I do with with sponges too, to freshen them up.

Respected Contributor

I have never really had that problem. I do throw my sponges in the dishwasher when I run a load. It's usually every other day. I pull out a clean dish towel every morning and wash them when I do my normal laundry. I think sometimes people become too obsessed with germs and cleanliness.

Honored Contributor

I don't use dish cloths but if I did, I'd use a fresh one everyday.

Regular Contributor

golfcartrider, I've read recently that there is a connection with stinky dish rags/sponges & Dawn dish detergent. I don't use Dawn, and change mine every day also, so I don't have any way to validate the claims. I thought I would mention it just in case it could help you.

Valued Contributor

you might want to try spraying them with febreze at the end of the night & by morning they should smell fresh & ready to go.