Contributor

Advice on pickpockets in Italy or any other travel destination.

While doing research on visiting Italy I noticed many comments regarding pickpocket crime. While the usual precautions can be taken, cross body bag, money belts etc. any good advice out there would be helpful. It is a little intimidating to know of this, but it shouldn't hinder travel.

Contributor

Re: Advice on pickpockets in Italy or any other travel destination.

anyone?

Respected Contributor

My advice is to carry your valuables in a slim cross body purse that you keep in front of you at all times.

Do not let yourself stand out as a tourist. Don't overdress, but don't under dress either. Don't wear lots of jewelry. Keep alert and act as if you know where you are going.

Make a copy of your passport and keep it in a secure place...hotel safe?

Above all, just always be aware of your surroundings and who's around you. If you look strong and confident, you will be less of a target.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Esteemed Contributor

I would add that when you are in particularly crowded tourist areas, be aware of unusual distractions. For example, when I was in front of a large Parisian department store, I noticed many young women walking around with clip boards, asking customers if they would stop to answer a few questions. There were just too many of these very young girls swarmimg around and I became very suspicious that they were up to no good. They were not French. My guess was that when someone stopped to chat, a cohort would do the pickpocketing. Just be aware, and if your gut reaction is to be somewhat wary, avoid being taken in and walk away.
Honored Contributor

If I have something with a zipper, I put a safety pin through it so it would take longer for them to get in (and hopefully I would notice).

Respected Contributor

I went on a Med cruise about 7 years ago and people on cruisecritic.com were discussing this. A crossbody bag will be best and if you are really worried you can buy a SafePac purse. The strap is covered cable so it cannot be cut off your shoulder. It's lined with netting so if someone were to cut the bottom, stuff won't fall out, it'll snag in the netting. The zippers are kind of hard to get into and one of the straps has an anchor clip so that when you are out at a restaurant you can unclip it, pull it thru the rung of a chair and reconnect. The anchor clip is such that it's harder to get into - but SafePac purses are not that fashionable. They also discussed "bra stashes". I'm not even sure if they make these anymore but they are very thin material with two straps with double snaps and you can snap them to your bra straps. This is about the size of a credit card and the stash hangs down the inside of your shirt.

Be especially vigilant around tourist areas, using any public transportation such as subways, etc. I took two credit cards from different banks - keep one in the hotel safe, do so in case one gets stolen cuz while you are working with your bank to report it stolen, you will have the other to charge things. I was on a ship so when we went out I only took out small amounts of euros, along with my credit card. Everything else was left in the safe. The only place where I heard of pickpockets thriving when we were in Europe was not in Italy but at the Acropolis. At that site, you have to climb steps and people were crushed together. Any situation where people are crushed together, be vigilant.

Super Contributor

You can get zip pockets kind of like the bra stashes and wear it around your neck and inside your shirt. I carry my passport and major credit card there. Just keep out enough money or a low balance credit card in your cross body bag for shopping and eating. I would also suggest converting or getting just enough money for a day or two. You can always go inside a bank in most of Europe.

I know people love to take pictures, but you may want to NOT take your most valuable camera. It's a draw to thieves.

My friends (one at a time) got purses snatched in the Sistine Chapel; and one friend got her fanny pack unzipped without her noticing on the subway in Paris.

Travelsmith dot com has several neck wallets and under clothing items that would work. You can probably get them somewhere else or here if you know how to describe them.

Honored Contributor

I've been to Italy at least a dozen times. I carry the same type purse I'd carry at home. I never let it out of my sight and always keep it close to my body. I've never done a fanny pack, belt or bra pouch or any of the items designed for travel. Nothing screams tourist more than a woman digging in her bra to pay for her gelato.

Do make a copy of your passport. In December I had to have mine replaced in Switzerland (long story) and the fact I had a copy made it extremely easy.

Have a wonderful trip.

Regular Contributor

I always wear a cross body bag when touring a new city. It's hands free, I carry very little cash, and it's just easier!
Esteemed Contributor

Don't place your faith in the in-room safes for your backup plan. Once in China I messed up my combination somehow and called the front desk. They sent up a very nice man who very properly propped open my room door while he was helping. But he couldn't figure it out either and with a lot of laughter the two maids working the floor came in and opened it for us. All I could manage was a thank you.