Super Contributor

Canned food? Dry? Do you measure how much he/she gets each day? Any favorite foods?

Honored Contributor

Re: What do you feed your cat?

On 7/16/2014 BigOrangeKitty said:

Canned food? Dry? Do you measure how much he/she gets each day? Any favorite foods?

What do you feed your cats?

In our case that would be 11 felines, indoor only. We have fed our felines over the years many different types of foods, some supposedly with more nutrition for them, and thus maybe better health. Two or our males still had problems with a bladder infection.

We have fed them primarily dry Cat Chow for many years now, except for ones that needed a prescription type of food. We had one male that had diabetes and along with insulin shots twice a day we had to feed him a special diabetic dry cat food.

With 11 felines there is no way we can measure how much they eat. The one that was diabetic we fed him in a separate room and his food we could control. Same thing we did when our older felines developed failing kidneys as they got older.

Right now our oldest, which is male, we give a can of moist food along with the Cat Chow. Once again we put him alone in a room to eat this can of food. He is losing weight and there is nothing physically wrong with him so we want him to eat more than the others. Some days we give him 2 cans of food.

hckynut(john)
Regular Contributor

Just acquired kitty number 5 last week. A sweet orange male some "neighbors" moved & left. Took him to vet, & he's fine, so introduced him to our 4females. They are adjusting. Anyway I feed 2 cans of canned daily, and for the dry I mix Purina cat chow with Purina One dry and Fancy Feast dry. I also have a bowl of Purina Indoor food too. These I leave out all day, nobody seems to overeat. They are all indoor only and seem to be doing fine. New guy eats a lot, but I think he was starving when I rescued him. Vet said he was about 1year old, but he is very small, I figured him to be around 6 months, he's already neutered too.
Super Contributor

Marmot24, first of all THANK YOU for giving the new guy a good indoor home. I just can't believe how people just up and leave a pet. I'm sure he's going to love you to pieces. You're one in a million. If he screams to go out, ignore him. I know from experience they can adjust to living indoors no matter how long they've been outdoor cats. It just takes time and patience. My friend rescued an outdoor cat 3 years ago and the minute that cat got inside you couldn't drag him out! He's quite a spoiled indoor cat now.

Honored Contributor

Rick only eats friskies canned food. I don't measure because he is underweight and the vet said to give him whatever he wants. He's 17. He likes turkey or beef flavors.

Valued Contributor

The four adults eat Natural Balance Reduced Calorie Formula (dry), as much as they want. The kitten eats Royal Canin, Kitten Formula (dry). Her bowl is in the common area to make sure the others aren't eating it. They don't seem interested in it anymore and I don't come home to find the bowl empty so {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

All five cats share 3 cans of Friskies in the evening. If I could afford a better quality wet food, I would buy it. I would never have started them on wet food at all, but it is the best way to medicate these guys and one needed a long-term medication so everyone got used to having wet food in the evening. When the kitten is grown up, I will probably reduce it to 2 cans split among the 5 cats. Right now, she is a piglet and still growing.

Kitty nutrition is something I am starting to take more of an interest in because so many of our cats end up with kidney disease and cancer, but there is a lot of conflicting info out there. I am really interested to see what happens with the Purina/Blue Buffalo lawsuit; hopefully that will reveal some good info.

Super Contributor

6 ferals. Two containers of dry food in the morning. One container of dry and one container of canned food in the evening. They always have water.

Honored Contributor

B.O.K.,

I have two orangies. {#emotions_dlg.tt1}

I got my recommendations from this blog:

http://www.naturalcatcareblog.com/2010/12/the-7-best-natural-commercial-cat-foods-so-far/

My boy is a good eater, but my girl is a bit purr-snickety! She was voracious when I first got her, but now she's settled down a bit. They eat wet food in the a.m. and p.m. (not a set amount) and for right now they also get dry food twice a day in "treat" balls. It's a big production!

This is what goes in the treat balls. They LOVE this!

Blue Buffalo Wilderness Indoor Chicken Adult Dry Cat Food

They eat good quality wet food, although lately we think the lady prefers "chunks" to pate. The boy will eat anything.

From Blue Buffalo- Wilderness Wild Delights

Blue Buffalo Wilderness Wild Delights Flaked Chicken & Turkey Canned Adult Cat Food, 5.5 oz. Blue Buffalo Wilderness Wild Delights Flaked Chicken & Trout Canned Adult Cat Food, 5.5 oz.Blue Buffalo Wilderness Wild Delights Chicken & Salmon in Gravy Canned Adult Cat Food, 3 oz. Case of 24

Nature's Variety Instinct Grain Free Limited Ingredient Diet (lady doesn't like the duck or the lamb, but boy will eat them).

Nature's Variety Instinct Grain-Free Limited Ingredient Diet Turkey Canned Cat Food, 3 oz., Case of 24

Soulistic- Good Karma and Harvest Sunrise

Soulistic Good Karma Chicken Dinner Adult Canned Cat Food in GravySoulistic Harvest Sunrise Chicken & Pumpkin Dinner Adult Canned Cat Food in Gravy

Honored Contributor

On 7/17/2014 graycatsrule said:

Rick only eats friskies canned food. I don't measure because he is underweight and the vet said to give him whatever he wants. He's 17. He likes turkey or beef flavors.

I'm like you. My Jinx is 18 and kinda thin. We also feed her Friskies. I was only giving her a can a day, but today we upped it to 2 and she seems pretty content. I only buy chicken, turkey and beef varieties. I refuse to buy anything with any kind of fish. She loves the shredded ones with the little bits of cheese.