Occasional Contributor
I'm having a yard sale next Sat. Do you like yard sales? What do you like or dislike about them? Any tips how I can make mine really good? Thanks
Esteemed Contributor

I love yard sales...the only problem I have is that too many people advertise them as HUGE YARD SALE and then have nothing but kids' clothes and a couple of other things, or they advertise as NEIGHBORHOOD YARD SALE and then a few people in a neighborhood have one small table with a few things on it...that type of thing. Most people in my area advertise now on Craigs List (I liked it better when it was in the newspaper - everything listed by zip code and I could easily map out my route!)

One thing I would suggest is to make sure you have a price on everything--it takes time, but it makes it much easier because you don't have a constant parade of people asking how much you want for something and you have to think about it while others are waiting. If it's priced, you can immediately tell them how much you'll come down...be sure to price everything at least slightly higher than what you want, because people want to get a "bargain".

Also, if you can arrange "like" things together, such as kitchen items on one table, decorative items on another, etc., I think it helps people move through a little quicker. Some people are looking for specific things and that way they don't spend a lot of time there and take up parking space.

The one thing that can make it easier for you is to realize that people want LOW prices at a yard sale. So if you have some really good things and you don't want to let them go for yard sale prices, you could try Craigs List or section off an area that you label as Tag Sale Items with a sign saying the price is what it is on those particular items- no haggling. I had some good success with that at one of mine - a lady who has a thrift store bought about 10 things, no haggling over the price, then took them to her store and I saw them there later with much higher prices. I didn't care, I got what I wanted for them.

One more thing - advertise it as starting an hour later than you want people there, because they will show up at least an hour early if not more. Good luck, and have fun!

Honored Contributor

Do you like yard sales?

Not when they were in my neighborhood. Now that we live in a rural area I really don't care. What few neighbors we have to this point have not had a yard sale that I know about.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Yard sales are a popular event in our town. There are always several yard sales every weekend through late spring and summer.

Advertise your yard sale starting at 8:00 (example) and be prepared. People will come at 7:00. Price all items and don't overprice. If you have $5.00 on item, many people will ask if you'll take $2.00 or $3.00 for it. Consider doing that. In the event of rain move the sale into your garage. Or better yet set it up in the garage to start with.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

My neighbor had a very successful yard sale last summer. She basically had a household worth of stuff. She put shelves and tables in her garage and put everything so you could see it. All like things were put together. The rest was put in the driveway. Everything was clean, ironed, marked reasonably. Besides her and her husband, she had three neighbors helping. Anybody that needed help was helped quickly. She had lots of change, newspaper and bags.

It started at 8am and at noon, she dropped the prices by 75%. When it ended at 4pm, she had two small boxes for goodwill. She advertised in the paper and put signs on the main road.

Super Contributor

Have everything priced - and priced reasonably. Have signs printed large enough for people to actually read, Large, Black writing. Good Luck - it is tons of work.

Honored Contributor
On 7/13/2014 kittymomNC said:

I love yard sales...the only problem I have is that too many people advertise them as HUGE YARD SALE and then have nothing but kids' clothes and a couple of other things, or they advertise as NEIGHBORHOOD YARD SALE and then a few people in a neighborhood have one small table with a few things on it...that type of thing. Most people in my area advertise now on Craigs List (I liked it better when it was in the newspaper - everything listed by zip code and I could easily map out my route!)

One thing I would suggest is to make sure you have a price on everything--it takes time, but it makes it much easier because you don't have a constant parade of people asking how much you want for something and you have to think about it while others are waiting. If it's priced, you can immediately tell them how much you'll come down...be sure to price everything at least slightly higher than what you want, because people want to get a "bargain".

Also, if you can arrange "like" things together, such as kitchen items on one table, decorative items on another, etc., I think it helps people move through a little quicker. Some people are looking for specific things and that way they don't spend a lot of time there and take up parking space.

The one thing that can make it easier for you is to realize that people want LOW prices at a yard sale. So if you have some really good things and you don't want to let them go for yard sale prices, you could try Craigs List or section off an area that you label as Tag Sale Items with a sign saying the price is what it is on those particular items- no haggling. I had some good success with that at one of mine - a lady who has a thrift store bought about 10 things, no haggling over the price, then took them to her store and I saw them there later with much higher prices. I didn't care, I got what I wanted for them.

One more thing - advertise it as starting an hour later than you want people there, because they will show up at least an hour early if not more. Good luck, and have fun!

She's right on the mark on this all and I concur.

Super Contributor

LOVE LOVE LOVE yard sales, garage sales and Estate Sales. HOWEVER ! I do NOT like

to see items for sale thrown all over the ground or laying on the driveway helter skelter.

Please put prices on each item and have them arranged on tables !!!!!!!!!

Honored Contributor
On 7/13/2014 10grands said:

Have everything priced - and priced reasonably. Have signs printed large enough for people to actually read, Large, Black writing. Good Luck - it is tons of work.

It's definitely a lot of work! I used to have them a lot but haven't had one in years. It's a good way to make some extra cash if you're motivated which I am not lol.

Super Contributor

I like going to them. I absolutely hate having them myself.

I concur pretty much with what's already been suggested. I would emphasize that you price everything pretty reasonably. And I'd also suggest that you have someone available who can help you look out to make sure people don't walk off with things without paying for them. That happens too, unfortunately. Good luck.