Super Contributor

I read a lot of the Kitchen & Food threads and notice many people live alone. I also read the thread about how to fill your time when you live alone. But I was wondering how many people are REALLY alone, no family that checks in on them or visits ..... also, what do you LIKE or DISLIKE about living alone?

Respected Contributor

Like: making all my own decisions; not having to check in and let someone know when I will be late; down time when I need it.

Don't like: not having a partner to bounce ideas off of; not having someone else to share the workload with; not having someone to go places with (like stores, restaurants) without pre-planning.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Super Contributor

I was thinking mealtimes - eating alone - must be boring.......

Respected Contributor

Eating alone is a real drag.

Respected Contributor

The first 12 years after my husband passed away I lived alone. I can't say it was awful because I had so many things that I was involved in that kept me busy. I liked the fact that I could do things at my own pace and when I wanted to. all those years I had family and friends and relatives who all lived close by me, and they were in and out of here all the time.

Super Contributor
The good is that you can stay in your pajamas all weekend, eat ice cream for breakfast, watch marathon tv on demand, etc. The bad is that after the first week, it's boring, boring, boring. So the key is to put yourself out there and become involved with life, make friends and make a difference.......
Super Contributor
On 7/8/2014 BigOrangeKitty said:

I was thinking mealtimes - eating alone - must be boring.......

That's what TV shows or movies are for.

Valued Contributor
my good friend is downsizing--her husband died 11years ago---she is doing a big girl thing: buying a house by herself--I'm so happy for her
Trusted Contributor

For me, there is no downside. I was married for a short time and it wasn't great.

My personal experience with being alone is good. I come and go as I please. I vacation where I want and enjoy seeing things and doing things on my own. I always can find interesting people to chat with while on vacation so it isn't lonely at all.

I have family and friends that are there to talk to when I want. I have no problem eating alone. I have friends over at times. I have the dogs all of the time and my cat, al who keep me from being really "alone".

But, I've always been independent and sort of a self-entertaining, self-involved person. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

My dad lives alone and hates it. I wonder if women are happier living alone because several of my daughters live alone and have no problem with it.