Valued Contributor

Need RV Travel Trailer Camping Advice

We are just getting started camping again after many years. We are seriously thinking about buying a friend's used travel trailer which is in excellent condition and they'd sell to us for a very good price. What advice can you give us as we start out in our new adventure? I'd like to buy a good RV camping/campground informational book as well as anything else I might need to get started.

Honored Contributor

Re: Need RV Travel Trailer Camping Advice

For winter time, you do have to prep it, so be sure you know what to do for that. I always overpacked!! I don't think there's a lot to do. Take along what makes you comfortable. Check the levels you need to know about daily ours was in the kitchen area. Gas, water, etc.

Be sure you know what you have to about "dumping". Hoses, rubber gloves, etc., It's important.

That's the most I remember, like I said, don't over pack clothes. Take along a bag for dirty clothes, you can probably keep it stashed under the bed.

We loved it, it just was too hard for him to back up anywhere. (Age).

Honored Contributor

Well, to start with - will it come with dishes and pot & pans and towels / sheets etc. If not these will have to be purchased immediately. I assume you have a vehicle that is adequate size to tow it. You will need to buy personal care items like hair dryer -lotions and potions etc. so you don't have to pack them every time - just leave them in the camper - plus I always leave some clothing in here - sweats in case it gets cold, an old denim jacket, socks and waterproof walking shoes or boots - some campgrounds are pretty muddy. Oh yeah - raincoat and/or umbrellas. A book of state and federal parks that have campgrounds - a KOA book. We were members of Good Sam club - the AAA of camping in case of a breakdown on the road when we were traveling with our camper.

You need to decide what kind of camping you want to do - is this just a place to sleep while you visit various sites across the country or is camping your actual destination.WE do a little camping - occasional campfire etc but , mostly for us , it was cheap way to travel.

Don't forget you need a passport now a days even to get into Canada and Mexico.

Frequent Contributor

Check the web site," RV Park Reviews". I like a heads up on what to expect especially information on the safety of the RV park. It is a great web site with not only reviews but forums etc.
Honored Contributor

Subscribe to Trailer Life Magazine. Investigate satellite TV options. Get the old owner to go step by step in detain (take notes) on how to set up and level the trailer and how to pack it all up. Be sure you have sway bars on the trailer. If there is an awning, always tie it to something like a tree or picnic table. A moderate wind can easily wrap it around the trailer. Get a carpet or mat for outside the door. Many people put film over the lower half of the windows so people walking by can't see in. You'll get a lot of hints from Trailer Life. Find a Camping World store.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

One last thing. I was digging out some DVD's today and came across "RV" with Robin Williams and others in it. I just roared with laughter the last time I watched it. If you want to be put in the spirit of the RVing fun, watch that one.

Valued Contributor

I am absolutely enjoying all the info and tips. Keep them coming.