Regular Contributor

Well, I haven't started a thread in a long time and seems it's a little different than I remembered, but hopefully it'll get posted.

Yep, the year is half over! Can you believe it? I cannot.

Our weather is just crazy and not typically July weather. Two days ago it was 100 degrees and today it's 70ish. We've had an incredible amount of rain{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}and everyone is so happy about that as it is much needed as we've had one of the worst drought's since the dust bowl days. A lot of wheat is grown in this area and I'm sure all of this moisture will ensure an abundant crop.

It's 2 a.m. and my brain seems to have fallen asleep so guess I'd better close this up.

Happy early Thursday all! Sue

Respected Contributor

Re: Fireworks at the Back Fence

Thanks for getting us started Sue - was getting worried about the thread but I had been busy and a bit lazy too. Good job and I will surely be here tomorrow to see the fireworks as we cannot have them out here. Also wish we could have gotten some of your rain - we too are in dire need of some liquid sunshine. Really bad. And it has been so humid here - do wish California no humidity summers would return. Suspect that will never be but the humidity really bothers me. I take two steps and I am soaking wet with sweat - drives me insane.

The bees are driving me crazy and they are really hovering around my hummer feeders. I have covered the seams on the feeders to TRY and get rid of the bees. They still are just covering the feeders and will not go away. They have been super bad since those nutty people started those hives summer before last. They shut the hives down but I think the bees have stayed. We have always had some bees from time to time but it is ridiculous since then. There are other people living there now but they too are weird. Lots of cars parked in their dive but NEVER is anyone out in the yard = at least not there during the day. I did find a soccer ball out back however and I am guessing it came from there. The windows are all covered so I hope it is not another pot house. LOL. Just strange to NEVER see anyone outside even in the cooler evenings.

Have my first load of clothes in the washer then in about an hour will head to Curves. They will be closed Fri and Sat and of course Sunday. The former owner never closed as much as this owner does. Three days in a row with no exercises is not good. The former owner would be closed on Friday but she would not have closed on Saturday also.

Hope all have a great day.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for shoring up the fence QueenofO2. I brought some bunting for the 4th

Winifred, I wish fireworks were illegal here. Instead, my governor relaxed the guidelines because he didn't want the money going to Ohio (many people used to cross the border to buy fireworks).

It will sound like a war zone for a couple of days and my birds are going to be skittish. I wish it would be nice in the day and then pour rain as soon as it gets dark Wink

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

This red crested cardinal (real colors - not enhanced) is visiting the back fence to wish everyone a Happy Fourth of July.

Trusted Contributor

Bang, bang, bang. I thought it was never going to stop. Two of our neighbors had family gatherings and shot off lots of firecrackers. Those don't usually last too long. But elsewhere in the neighborhood giant sky busters were going org way past curfew. That will go on tonight too. The city had a display downtown and I was hoping thar would be satisfying enough. Not so. Gorgeous weather tho. We've been sitting in the sunroom with our coffee and doughnuts. I'll share some apple fritters with you. It's going to be a lazy day today or at least that's my plan. Nice to see you all
Honored Contributor

The noise started before dark, around 8:30. I don't know what's worse - the fireworks that give off a loud bang, or the loud sizzle ones or the screamers {#emotions_dlg.sad}. It went on and on past 11:30 pm. I happened to watch the local news and a neighboring city's mayor had been on the road with police to make sure ordinances were observed. The news crew interviewed a resident that lived down the street from the mayor's house and this guy said, he didn't care that he lived down the street from the mayor, he was setting off his fireworks when he wanted to.

That was one of those times I wished I could reach into the TV and pop the mouthy neighbor upside the head {#emotions_dlg.devil2}. The state law allows for fireworks the day before, day of and day after a holiday. Unfortunately I will be hearing this noise for at least another week.

Also on the news was a major garage fire. Apparently the twits in the house decided to set off fireworks from the garage and it got out of control and they all blew up. Destroyed the garage and busted out the windshields in two cars in the driveway. I wonder if the insurance company will pay for the stupidity.

Respected Contributor

Only heard a few fireworks last night - that is good as I was worried crazies would show their real persona. Fireworks are NEVER allowed by individuals but there are always some that have them. At least one thing changed. Remember NO fireworks are allowed yet various police departments, CHP, fire departments - and people like that ALWAYS had them for sale as they made fortunes - a great money maker. People got up in arms some years back and NO law enforcement agencies of any kind can sell them any more. Well I surely agree with that!

Super humid again - was really terrible yesterday but we had a surprise hail storm, a downpour, high winds, etc and the temp went down from over 100 to about 62 - it was heavenly. Didn't last long as in less than 30 minutes the temps and humidity were soaring - really bad. REminded me of New Orleans. And to top it off, this morning there was an earthquake. Just wish the good OLD California air would return - am sure it never will however.

No Curves today - none until MOnday. This owner shuts down every time she can.Several holidays she shuts down for 4 days, this time is three.

Come on back and visit people - you know who you are - you have been missing for way too long. And then we like new ones also. We are just a bunch of gabby women and we enjoy each other. Stay in the shade people.

Honored Contributor

My baby girl Peewee (house sparrow) passed away this evening at 7:45 pm. She was 9 years and 9 days old. I am so grateful to God that I was home with her. She was looking at me and I was looking at her when she drew her final breath. Her passing was so peaceful and quiet and I am grateful to St. Francis for that.

Valued Contributor

Bird mama, I am so sorry for your loss. It is wonderful that you were able to be with her for that final moment here on Earth - I'm sure it was a great comfort to her. Now she can soar free in Heaven! Take care.

Respected Contributor

Bird Mama, am so sorry about PeeWee - seems like we all know her. Hang in there.

Another hot and muggy day on tap. Just dreading the rest of this summer - it sure got hot and muggy early - I still wish we could have the old California weather - dry in hot weather and NOT humid. I am sure those days are long gone.

Yesterday was a busy day but a good one. Am surprised but very pleased as there have been NO late firecrackers being shot off. Of course we are not allowed to have them at all but usually each year there are unfortunately some idiots who get them and shoot them off for several days. Very very quiet this year and that is good - for many reasons.

I need to get a move on - not sure why - but it sounds like a good idea. {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Have a great day everyone.