Super Contributor

Over 50's - Do You Still Cry?

A few really good friends and I were talking a few days ago over lunch about how they seem to have stopped crying. We all range in age from 57 to 62. We were discussing how things seemed to really crush you, break your heart, and brought on a flood of tears when you were younger and now you feel more immune or numb to things. Now that I think about it, not much really is worth me shedding tears over at age 60. In fact, I can't actually remember when I've really cried.{#emotions_dlg.crying} While DH can still cut like a knife, it just seems shedding tears simply isn't worth it anymore.

Honored Contributor

Re: Over 50's - Do You Still Cry?

I never cried so much once I hit 60, loss of mom, dad needing care, and all those things going on. Just a very sad time. Lost 2 of my little dogs due to their ages. I felt like I cried a lot. Age has nothing to do with it in my book. Circumstances do.

Honored Contributor

Huh? Are you telling me that our tear ducts dry up at menopause too?

Regular Contributor

I'm 54 and I never or rarely cry anymore. I thought it was just me! Even horrible things rarely bring tears anymore. Weird! I used to cry fairly easily. I noticed this change about 5 years ago. Things still make me sad, but the tears don't come.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I do still cry under certain circumstances. I too used to be very tearful, but find that has waned some as I've aged. I can be very touched by news stories and become tearful still, but mainly my tears are associated with the loss of special people in my life. I do feel much stronger and capable, and release my emotions in other ways besides crying.

Honored Contributor

I am now a quarter century past 50 and cry? All I need to do is look at the world around me, a really close look, and how people treat each other. And then how people treat innocent animals is another whole story.

Anyone of any age that has a heart and cares for other human beings and the other live things that occupy our planet besides human beings? Go to any Animal Rescue Website and read some of the stories there. We live this rescue in our home and have for several decades now and some times it is hard to keep smiling, much less not crying.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

On 6/10/2014 hckynut said:

I am now a quarter century past 50 and cry? All I need to do is look at the world around me, a really close look, and how people treat each other. And then how people treat innocent animals is another whole story.

Anyone of any age that has a heart and cares for other human beings and the other live things that occupy our planet besides human beings? Go to any Animal Rescue Website and read some of the stories there. We live this rescue in our home and have for several decades now and some times it is hard to keep smiling, much less not crying.

Perfectly put.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

I'm 58. I cry more now than I did when I was younger.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Trusted Contributor

I'm in my 70s and, yes, I still do cry. Usually, in regard to personal losses and such, it's not as bad as it used to be. More of a cleansing kind of cry. I'm not near as sensitive to having my feelings hurt or being offended by others as I used to be when I was younger. But all these tragic happenings in the world can just make me weep bitter tears. I also strongly empathize with the pain in others, so if my loved one or friend is hurting, grieving, etc., it will bring me to tears.

Valued Contributor

Oh, I cry at the drop of a hat.