Respected Contributor

Mothers who have lost children...how do you cope on Mother's Day?

I just wonder if the mothers who HAVE NOT lost children have any idea how hard all these Mother's Day wishes are....If you've lost a child, what are your feelings about Mother's Day? Personally, I reallllllly hate it...(daughter, R.I.P.)

But - happy wishes to the ''others'' on Mother's Day.

Regular Contributor

Re: Mothers who have lost children...how do you cope on Mother's Day?

I just cry. I can't control it and I just have to let it out. I can't stop missing my daughter and I never will. It is not an easy day, but neither is Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, her birthday, her day, or any other random day. Holidays or special days intensify my sorrow. I just cry. I visit the cemetery, release some balloons or plant some flowers, and mostly cry.

Respected Contributor

Heartkeeper: Right there with ya....

Trusted Contributor

What should those still blessed with their children feel? Guilt? That would not bring our daughters back, and personally it would only add to my sorrows to think that others felt they could not express their own joy, for fear of adding to my grief. No one wished this terrible pain on me.... Why should I wish others anything but happiness, even though I mourn the losses of my daughter and mother EVERY day? Those who love me grieve with me and I celebrate with them, in the same spirit. My mother and daughter would expect that of me, even though it used to be through bitter tears. I have been where you are, and I understand all too well. I refused to even acknowledge Mother's Day at all the first two years following my Angela's death. She was my only child and died before having any of her own.

I will spend tomorrow at church, followed by visiting both graves - taking flowers. I will no doubt shed tears there even as I give thanks for having had a mother and a daughter to share such love with, until we meet again. THAT is how I cope daily, in that faith that we WILL meet again.

Peace and comfort to all who are grieving.

Honored Contributor

I am not a mother, and wanted to be...my mom is gone and therefore mother's day is not a big deal to me. I do not go to church or eat out that day. I am happy for those that are moms and are able to celebrate with their mother if that is what they want to do, it's their day.

One year DH and I went out to eat and the hostess at the restaurant shoved a flower at me and said are you a mother and I said 'no'..she couldn't have pulled that flower back any quicker, ha!...last time we ate out on Mother's day.

Happy Mother's day to all those that are mom's!

Respected Contributor

Awww. Momtodogs: That's so sad...and to others, while I am HAPPY that some get to experience the all blessed Mother's Day, I do believe that some have a tendency to assume that everybody are mothers....note I said ''some'' so please don't brow beat me ..it's a tough enough go as it is.

Trusted Contributor

I was just thinking about this the other day...I have children but still Mother's Day brings me some sadness because I lost my mother when I was 22. She never knew my children and I miss her each and every day.

But then I think about all of the mothers who have lost children and how heartbreaking it would be. We have neighbors on our street who lost their son due to sudden heart problems and he was only in his thirties, and their only child.

My heart goes out to all mothers who have lost children...it must be very difficult and very sad to have to relive the fact, especially on this poignant day. Goes to show that life can be joyous...and life can be oh so very hard!

Respected Contributor

TO ILOVETOSHOP: VERY, VERY WELL SAID ! THANK YOU !!!

Esteemed Contributor

Mother's Day, like all the special days, are not ever the same again. I am so grateful for my other children but I prefer a low key Mother's Day. In answer to the question, no one can ever imagine the pain of losing a child unless they experience it, (its so much worse than we ever imagine). I would not wish this on anyone. To honor our young son, we continue our lives seeking laughter and strength, as he did during his illness.

Honored Contributor

I have had 2 miscarriages and then was unable to get pregnant so I have no children of my own. However, i do not find it is a good idea to wallow in self pity over it - there is a time to grieve and then there is a time to put things into the file in ,my mind labeled my personal history. i tend more to feel sad over the loss of my mother in a car accident when she was only 67, and, of course, i think of her on mothers day.

Garth Brooks wrote a song called the dance - " I could have missed the pain but then I would have had to miss the dance." It is about losing good things in your life - then remembering that you were fortunate to have ever had them in the first place. When i remember those who are passed away I always remember the good stuff - the fun stuff. Then I remember to thank God for giving me that person in the first place. You get to chose how you will remember those you have lost - you can make yourself crazy with grief or you can chose to be thankful for the time and love you had with them.

I have lost a lot in my life - my oldest brother was killed in Viet Nam - my husband died when I was only 30 - my parents in a car accident when i was 41 and my miscarriages, but i chose not to dwell on this but instead have a positive attitude.