Esteemed Contributor

Daily Positive Thread for Holy Thursday

Hello dear friends! Holy Thursday already!! With all the snow here it doesn't look like it, but it is!! Beautiful Mass always on Holy Thursdays - looking forward to going. Hope you all can attend your Mass or services. Today's blessing - snow plows - so we won't be snowed in. Another blessing but at first it was scary was that I just heard today that one of my first cousins, Mary, she's elderly, has a dog she sure loves, and late Feb. she let him out in the middle of the night and she fell, she couldn't get up, snow all around her and she couldn't get up at all. The back garage door was open so the dog went in, and in the morning, a neighbor opened her shades and saw her laying there in her back yard, and called the ambulance, her one arm was pretty badly frozen, she had boots on and winter coat, so that helped, she's losing all her fingernails, but she is recuperating and nothing has to be amputated. Her arm is much better now. Praise God. She isn't home yet, she's in a rehab place and we'll go visit her as soon as we can. It's a blessing she didn't die there, she thought she would. Thanks to all of you who are praying for Lori and for Darla's acceptance for her job in Mpls. I appreciate your prayers - they are powerful!

Keep your heart clean by constant spring cleaning. Then there will be a place

for beauty and peace. Lord, help me to remove carelessness and disrespect from

my heart and in all things may I celebrate Your love for me.

Scripture for the day:

"Those sown among the thorns: these are the ones who hear the word, but the

cares of the world, and the lure of wealth, and the desire for other things

come in and choke the word, and it yields nothing. And these are the ones

sown on the good soil: they hear the word and accept it and bear fruit,

thirty and sixty and a hundredfold." ~Mark 4:18-20

Meditation for the day:

If I have a singleness of purpose, I can do my part in God's work. I need

not let material distractions interfere with my job of improving personal

relationships. It is easy for me to become distracted by material affairs,

so that I lose my singleness of purpose. I don't have time to be concerned

about the many concerns of the world. I can concentrate and specialize on

what I can do best.

Prayer for the day:

I pray that I may not become distracted by material affairs. I pray that I

may concentrate on doing what I can do best.

How To Achieve Peace of Soul!

By the late Father Kilian McGowan, C.P.

Used with permission, from the Passionist Priests

More books, pamphlets and columns on peace of soul have probably been written in the last decade than in all the time since the birth of Christ. No generation has sought peace more desperately than our own. Yet, this desirable state of mind and heart seems to be more elusive than ever.

Why should this be? God promised us peace in the words of Isaias: "Lord, thou wilt give us peace." At the birth of our Blessed Lord the angels promised peace to men of good will. It was one of the last things promised by our Lord before His death, and the first after His Resurrection: "Peace be to you." (Luke 24:36)

The booming psychiatric trade indicates much is to be desired in the lives of individuals. Divorce and juvenile delinquency attest to lack of peace in the home. And the "Cold War" is sufficient proof of the lack of peace on the international scene.

The fact that our human hearts instinctively desire and seek peace of soul is evident. Could it be that we're looking of it in the wrong place? Or that we're not willing to pay the price for it?

True peace of soul will ever be the product of warfare and victory. In the spiritual realm it comes to those who wage a total warfare against sin and selfishness. It is a gift given to everyone who surrender to the demands of the Risen Savior telling us "to seek the things that are above."

1) We must surrender our minds to our Lord by living according to His law: "Much peace have they that love thy law, " Psalm 118 guarantees. The Gospel, containing revealed information on where to find peace, is the "Peace Plan" of God.

Obviously, it would be presumptuous to hope for peace without even consulting the Gospel. Yet, there are those who never do. The Creator, Who designed your human nature, reveals a way of life productive to peace. It must be studied and applied.

2) We must surrender our wills to our Lord by making the love of God the supreme goal of our life on earth: "Submit thyself to Him and thou shalt have peace." Charity is the perfect way of surrendering our hearts to God, and one of its first effects of peace.

A lot of people lack peace of soul because their desires are in conflict with the will of God - and thus with their human nature.

Once they make the "great decision" - that is, the resolution to make God's will the norm of their actions - they will find peace. Of this, you can be sure.

3) Finally, we must surrender our hearts to the Presence of God. God did not design the human heart to be separated from Him. Without Him there's an unsettling restlessness that nags us and leaves us without peace. As St. Paul writes: "He is our peace." (Eph. 2:14)

We must never forget that our model for peace is a battle-scarred warrior who won a total victory over sin and death by unconditional surrender to His Father's Will. Only thus, did He merit the glorious peace and victory of the Resurrection. It's ours also to share. But we must be willing to pay the price!

"Take all this out of here and stop turning my Father´s house into a market."

Lord, You have the Message of Eternal Life

As we continue our Lenten journey we interrupt the reading of Mark´s Gospel and for the next three Sundays we turn to the fourth Gospel. The traditional symbol for John is the eagle, perhaps because of the clarity and breadth of his vision of who Jesus is, and in particular his portrayal of the glory that is his even in his hour of suffering and death.

PERSONAL PRAYER

God our Father, in the mystery of the Word become flesh, you offer to humanity the person of your Son, Jesus. He is the one through whom we can approach your throne of grace. You have taken the first step in your love for human beings by sending him among us as an example of how we should love and as a sign of your concern for us. The love which you have for him is offered to each of us, his followers and to the entire human race. May we try to return that love in the same spirit as he did. We make this our prayer, through the same Christ, our Lord. Amen.

Respected Contributor

Re: Daily Positive Thread for Holy Thursday

I did not know about Mary! Praise the Lord she is making a great recovery.

I have been depressed lately and have been going thru so many things. 3 surgerys in one month and being alone with a roomate means I have to rely on myself. The last surgery the had to put a bag on me to collect bile since I had my gallbladder out 24 years the bile used to just go out with (u get the picture) but I had developed scar tissue from wls surgery and the bile duct got blocked so they inserted a tube and attached a bag to collect the bbile. I hated it. I had to change it and measure it, wrap it around so it can't be seen. It was embarrassing. I was told I would have to wear it for 6 weeks!. I wanted to cut this thing off! I prayed to God

Well he is listenIng. The bag is getting less full . The less bile means the scar tissue is opening up and its going out in my waste.I cried for joy and thanked God for hearing my prayers. This is a big blessing for me. Truly God is good.

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Trusted Contributor

Happy day...Jesus died on the cross for your sins and mine. How great He is! May we all give thanks to Him.

Blessings to all.

Super Contributor

Good Morning everyone!

Gloriajean: I was thinking back on the early days of this Daily Thread - we sure did go through some ups and downs! Thank you for staying strong to keep things going.

Poor Mary - how frightened she must have been!

Bobbisue: How was your eye appointment?

Felicia: That's good news about your health issue - this too shall pass. Keeping you in thought and prayer that you will be rising above your depression and just keep the faith.

I have to go to market today and then I want to stop by the church and sit for a bit, just for some peace of mind.

{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Trusted Contributor

Good morning everyone.

I couldn't go on the thread yesterday, I was at the hospital getting a cyst removed from my neck below my right ear, it turned out well I only had to have a local and the doctor said it looked good nothing to worry about, I have to see him in two weeks and he will let me know the findings.

So sad to hear about your cousin Mary, Gloria, but I'm happy that she is getting well.

Praying for Lori's eye to improve and praying that Darla hears from MPLS. soon with good news. Why do they make people wait so long, it is very nerve racking?

Counting my Blessings.

Harlene(lovestopaint)

Super Contributor

Good Morning all....

I pray for everyone's intentions that post here that they are answered. Prayers move mountains and I think there is always hope.

Frequent Contributor

Good evening everyone,

The commandment Jesus gave to his disciples while washing their feet, on this Maundy Thursday. "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." John 13:34-35

May we all take the time to humble ourselves in the presence of the LORD. May we remember His suffering and death for us so we can live forever with Him.

God's word tells us that Jesus suffered greatly in Gethsemane. It was here that He knew He would be giving Himself to the cross. Matthew 26:38 "My soul is deeply grieved to the point of death."

Just as we feel despair, Jesus felt this to. He also knew that in His heart and soul there was only one thing He could do...pray. And so He did. "My father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me..." Matthew 26:39

The following poem, I have posted before. It reminds me that when all else fails, and there is nowhere else to go, we take it to our Father, in prayer, just as Jesus did.

Gethsemane - by W. R. Goodman

Forlorn I was, as I knelt to pray, I could not drive my cares way; It seemed that life was all in vain, Sunshine gone, just freezing rain.

I cried for mercy in my strife, That God would bless my daily life, That somehow I could find the way To hold my troubles all at bay.

Then I heard a voice, and tenderly, "Is this then, your Gethsemane?" And then I knew the love He bore Would guide my veering ship to shore.

I knew my cares were pretty small, In Gethsemane He gave His all, and who was I to kneel, and feel His love could not all sorrow heal?

I thanked Him with a grateful heart, And rose to make a better start, With faith to walk the path He trod, In joy to rest in the Lap of God.

I knew that from this day till death I'd sing His praise with every breath, For how could I linger in Gethsemane With His gentle hand to quicken me?

Gloriajean, prayers continue for you and all of your loved ones. So glad that Mary survived that harsh and awful night. Surely God had angels surrounding her.

(((Felicia))) continued prayers for you.

Bobbisue, hope your eye appt went well, and prayers continue for you, and Sam.

Cakers1, so nice to see you here. Wouldn't it be nice if we could have a special day for a reunion...one day where everyone could just post and if they didn't have anything to say, just a "Hey!" would be alright. May God bless you always with His love.

Harlene, glad to hear things turned out well. ASAP!

Serenity4ever, I agree with you wholeheartedly...prayer does move mountains, and to me without hope, we have nothing. Thank you for your prayers. And you are in mine to.

Until next time...

Take Care and God Bless!

Esteemed Contributor

Felicia - you sure have been thru the mill lately with all those surgeries etc. But thank God for answering your prayers for that bile to be gone soon! That's great!! We all get depression at times, part of life, but don't ever let it get you down, it will pass, it will! And never ever give up hope!!! Keep praying, He listens and He answers, and He wants the very best for you! And so do we!

Bobbiesue - how was the eye exam? Hope everything was well.

Cakers - You bet this thread has had it's ups and downs thru the years!! I dedicated this thread to St. Michael the Archangel and He did his job keeping it together - I take no credit, God wants it and He shall have it for His people. Yes, I cannot even imagine falling in my back yard and not getting up, I would try to get on my knees and crawl to someplace to help me up! She is in her 80's. Maybe she hurt too much to try to get up. At least nothing broke! But who knows what would have happened if her neighbor wouldn't have pulled up the shades and saw her laying there then! Mary lost a son a few years ago, he was killed in his exercise machine - he took such good care of her. He played the piano professionally, she gave me a CD of one of his concerts. Glad you took the time to go to Church to just be there and get some peace of mind.

Harlene - Wow - you were in the hospital yesterday!! Cysts need to come out, glad it turned out well for you, and hope when you get it checked again all is well. Thanks again so much for the prayers, and the lovely Easter Card that came in the mail today - it's so beautiful!!! Thanks much! You are such a great artist!

serenity - thanks for praying for all our intentions here - prayer does work wonders - and we've seen that many times. Thank you!

Juanita - Great scripture for today! Thanks! What a beautiful post - thanks for sharing Gethesemane by W.R.Goodman! Very good food for thought! I'd be all for a day for a reunion here! Wow - wouldn't that be fun? A lot don't post anymore on the boards, they have left. It would sure be one big reunion, wouldn't it?