Contributor

Hi,

Does anyone suffer from dry eye disease on here? Well, mine has been so very severe for the last several months. My optometrist has tried me on Refresh which only helps some. He examined my eyes and he saw no huge improvement and started me on Restasis now. I have been on for four days and today I am having a good amount of burning. My schedule is two times a day for that and fours times a day for Refresh. If by June it does not clear up then he is going to open up the tear ducts. Light bothers me so much and my eyes continue to tear so much. Any advice would be great.

Thanks,

Linda

Contributor

I have extremely dry eyes and zero saliva because I have Sjogren's Syndrome.

Haven't tried anything except tear duct plugs (OUCH!!!! and they did not help) and preservative-free artificial tears.

Sorry.

Super Contributor

Around 2008, I had my punctums permanently sealed by my opthalmologist right in her office, as I had experienced problems with at least one of the punctual plugs repeatedly falling out. She did the procedure to help keep more tears/moisture in my eyes.

Next time I see her, however, I'm going to ask if she'll do the new LipiFlow treatment, as my super-severe dry eye syndrome has been increasing in its intensity over the years.

If you wish to do things more naturally at first, taking a very good Omega-3 fish oil supplement everyday will help your eyes, in addition to the rest of your body.

Also, apply a dry eye nighttime ointment just before you go to sleep, to help lubricate your eyes; keep it on your night table.

And, use a moderate-to-severe dry eye gel drops repeatedly throughout the day and evening. Keep a bottle in your car, your tote, your handbag, and in your bathroom, so you'll always have one available to use.

Trusted Contributor

My DH suffers daily with Dry Eye. My sympathies, because I understand how painful and irritating it is. Plus he has eyelashes that grow inward and poke him in the eye (ugh). He got the LipiFlow treatment in February, and it successfully unclogged the oil glands in his lids. Now he uses a heating pad and massages his eyes every night for a couple of minutes. He uses the Refresh Preservative-Free (in the little vials) and Restasis twice a day, plus "serum tears" (the doctor's office draws his blood to create). He takes Dry Eye Omega daily.

The eye doctor said DH is doing all he can and that he should "do distracting things." There's another thread that also has good advice about Dry Eye.

Best of luck to all of you. I hope you can find relief.

Honored Contributor

I have dry eyes. They became worse after Lasik surgery. It's been almost 7 years of lower plugs, Restasis twice a day, a prescription steroid drop every 3 weeks, and Refresh Liquigel before bed and first thing in the morning.

I've had the lower plugs for over 6 years (they were checked again this AM when I had my annual exam) There is absolutely no pain associated with them. I am not even aware they are there.

Respected Contributor

I'll be 80 this month, and have had dry eyes for years. Restasis didn't help me at all. I use Optive several times a day, especially in the morning when my eyes are sometimes almost closed shut. I have tear duct plugs in both lower and upper ducts. Not even aware of their presence. No pain inserting them. They have helped me a very great deal. My eyes water a lot during the day, but I am grateful for the help I've been given, and it's not something I can't live with. Blessings on each of you dealing with this. I would say one thing. See an Ophthalmologist rather than an Optometrist.

snappy {#emotions_dlg.tt1}

Super Contributor

I was getting ready to post about Restasis......I love it........my eyes burn and are so dry.......have they checked you for blepharitis {sp}? I have that too and so I use an eye wash and I am supposed to do it daily and since I have been sick and not feeling good I have not done the eye washing and my eyes are back to being really dry. The Restasis works great on me.......I don't have the burn effect except when I stop using it.......I was using twice a day for 4 months and when I put in my contacts I did not even need eye drops so I hope that Restasis works for you...I am getting back on it tonight and this time I won't stop using it......then when I do better I can go to once a day.............for maintance. Blessings to you.

Honored Contributor

restatis did nothing for me, the lower duct plugs have helped a bit I am now on Alrex on a 4 week taper down and hope the heating season will be over before I end the drops

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Super Contributor

I hope the drops help you.

Respected Contributor

I used Restasis for a few years and it helped, but wasn't fantastic. I gave it up when my co-pay went to $75.00. My eye doc said to take flaxseed oil supplements and I do. I am not doing too badly now.

I find the gel eye drops to be more soothing and effective, but any eyedrop helps when my eyes feel dry and scratchy. I keep a small bottle in my purse. Best to apply drops right away when eyes feel irritated. For me they seem to get worse if I wait. Using the eye ointment at night is a big help. Any drugstore brand works fine.

My eyes are worse in the cold winter months when the forced hot air heat is running. Use a humidifier in your bedroom at night.