Hush, you'll be heard! ~~
There lies asleep
A tiny bird.
Written by H.N. Bialik

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Re: April Showers at the Bird's Nest

Thank you, Birdmama, for the new nest for April. Have a lovely day, Birding Friends.

Honored Contributor

Bird of the Day - Whooping Crane

Honored Contributor

Bird of the Day - Yucatan Jay

Honored Contributor

Beautiful, Bird Mama. Thank you.

Honored Contributor

Hi everyone! We have been having plenty of rain lately, so glad because the trees really need it.

This week, I am taking down the Christmas tree, lol. There was no room to get any ornament boxes in before, trapped by the kitchen items, but am gradually getting things into the family room, so now have a doable path to the tree. It was so cozy in there yesterday. I started a fire, it was so cold, and had the tree lights and others on. I barely have a chance to enjoy everything during the Christmas season as am always in the kitchen, so I really enjoyed yesterday. Today, the sun is out, but supposed to have rain today and Friday, then hot weather next week.

The new slider and kitchen window have been installed in the kitchen, and I can now see the size of the room. The sheetrock will go on soon. This Sunday, DH and I will remove what is left of the wallpaper in there and the laundry room. Most of the walls in both rooms are new, so there isn't much to remove. I have always loved wallpaper, but am not so sure I will have paper in those rooms this time.

I have been cooking from the rec room for almost three weeks now. I made pizza the other night on 8" x 8" pizza stones that I purchased at Amazon, in the toaster oven. I have done this before, and it works great, the pizzas are smaller, but not much smaller than when I use the oven, and takes so little electricity as compared to an oven.

I think I will still buy a ham for Easter, I will just have to slice it and heat it that way. It will come in handy for paninis, etc. for a few weeks or so, and I can freeze what we won't need, for later use.

Off to attack the tree again.

Honored Contributor

Mousie - it's good to read that you are able to access parts of your home. It's like rediscovering little treasures . I have been thinking of getting a toaster oven for use especially in the summer. I don't like to heat the house up when I have AC going.

Bird of the Day - Purple Gallinule

Respected Contributor

Hi birders.......just dropping by to say hi to all. It was a very cold winter here this year and me who loves snow and Winter is ready for Spring. We did have a lot of birds at the feeders and also a lot of squirrels.....lol. It is almost that time of year when we have to take the feeders down because the bears are coming out of hibernation. It is good to see that this thread is still going. Love the pics!!!

Take care everyone and have a great day!!!

Honored Contributor

On 4/3/2014 Bird mama said:

Mousie - it's good to read that you are able to access parts of your home. It's like rediscovering little treasures {#emotions_dlg.laugh}. I have been thinking of getting a toaster oven for use especially in the summer. I don't like to heat the house up when I have AC going.

Bird of the Day - Purple Gallinule

Adult

Adult

Adult

Bird mama - So many wonderful birdies! I actually have access to every room except the kitchen and dining room, which is filled to the brim with kitchen items. I am still able to use the washing machine and dryer until the floors go down, and then I hope I am only out for one week.

Honored Contributor

Hummingbird

Hi Birding Friends, Another warm day here, but at home tornadoes, flash floods and hail. Things I just "love" about spring, NOT!!!{#emotions_dlg.glare}

I kept getting chimes on my cell phone during the early morning hours, warning about the flash floods, tornado threat and hail It did hail yesterday and did quite a bit of damage in a town right across the Mississippi from my area. In fact, it was DH's hometown. My brother and nephews' homes were in the hail area, but they are out in the Seattle area so I don't know if their homes were damaged by the hail. A tornado did touch down this am about 12 miles from my home and there's a watch out for more with an 80% chance of tornadoes hitting St. Louis area again today or tonight.{#emotions_dlg.crying}``

Mousie, Glad to hear you are getting good rains. It sounds like the house is coming along well. Maybe there's a light at the end of the tunnel. DS uses his toaster oven all the time. I have one, but haven't used it as I didn't realize they are so versatile. Will have to start using it as the big oven takes forever and dries things out. Old stove, need to replace it and the fridge. Glad you got to enjoy the Christmas tree a bit more.

Winifred, I hope the rains that the Weather Channel's maps have been showing, are reaching your area. It looks like some snow in the mountains and that should help build up the snowpack. Not sure, but home may have snow showers later tonight as that severe front passes. Hope you are having some pretty spring weather. The little lone goldfinch that's been coming to the feeder by herself for weeks, finally has friends coming too. I saw at least 4 of them at the feeder yesterday. We also have the beautiful crows coming for bread pieces. One has been coming for a few days and then I saw between 3 and 5 of them in the oak and palms. I hope the neighbors don't mind those big critters. They can be so noisy, but i get a kick out of them and their antics. Very cautious birds, and smart too. We had 2 pet crows for several years, Pete and Repete.{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Birdmama, You should see the bird for today in person. It's beautiful, so colorful and to see them walking on water plant leaves is really cool. They look like they are walking on water. There's another similar bird called the Moorhen~~~~which is not nearly as colorful as the Purple Gallinule, and much more common. Both are cool to watch. I would love to see a live Whooping Crane. There is supposed to be a small colony of them here in Florida, not sure where. They are in the Sandhill Crane wintering areas. They are trying to establish a breeding population here so safeguard the survival of the species. The population in Texas could be hurt severely if a hurricane hit the Port Aransas area. Florida is not much safer, but has prarieland in some of the north central part, inland, not coastal.

Are you getting any of the snow from the new Y named storm??? Most of it is staying north of Missouri. Wish the wind would go away.

Luvsbulldogs, It is so nice to read your post. I wondered how you all were doing. Too bad you have to take the feeders down because of the bears, but I understand as I had to do the same because of the raccoons. We had a battle of wits for a long time and I guess they won because I did take a lot of feeders down, after some were actually stolen by those masked bandits. Very clever and persistent animals. Hope you are having a nice Spring season after the cold, harsh winter up east.

Meuw, It looks like your area is getting slammed with a lot of rain. I hope you are all high and dry. My brother, SIL and their 3 sons and their families are visiting up in your part of Washington. Their middle son is stationed at Fort Lewis and my brother lived in the area for about 4 years before he retired and moved back to IL. He would loved to have stayed there, but family (parents) illness more or less made the decision for them to move back to IL.

Waving to all Birding Friends, Stepping Stone, Hooty, Loves, Sweetpeace, Anika and those I may have overlooked(sorry) {#emotions_dlg.unsure} Take care and be safe.