Occasional Contributor

OT - Worried about house guests.....

We are having company over Easter - my niece, her husband and new baby. I almost get anxiety when someone comes to stay overnight. Maybe it's the hours of "guest room renovation" that I've watched on HGTV, or some crazy expectation that everything has to be perfect. They are staying in our extra bedroom room....which is somewhat of a catch-all in our house. Not even room to hang their items in the closet! Plus I never know what to fix at breakfast since everyone is up at different times. Should I leave food out on counter throughout the day for them to "graze"? And we live in a very small town - not much to do here. When we visit other places, we always go into the city to shop or see a show. Nothing like that here.

I guess after all these years, I just feel a little inadequate in the "entertaining" department. I would like to for this to look "effortless" - even though I will be nervous the whole time they're here. Anyone else like this? Any tips on being a good weekend hostess? Thanks Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: OT - Worried about house guests.....

I vote for simplicity. Maybe if you plan to go out shopping, you can catch Br. at a local place, same with any meals. Make it about the visit not the "fixings". That's where you create long term memories that are the best. Simplify.

Super Contributor

First -RELAX!!!!!!!! How wonderful for you to have them WANT to visit with you!!{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Next - can you buy some boxes/totes to store a few things from that room and closet til this company is gone? If so, just do that and stick those in the garage or your bedroom for now. Buy a pack of wooden hangers at Walmart and put in that end of the closet.

Vacuum and dust the room, put an inexpensive ($10 or less) bouquet of flowers in the room, and fresh sheets on the bed. And a box of kleenex and a small plug-in nightlight. I'd put a small Easter basket with some Easter candies and mins in their room, too.

Put 2 sets of towels on the end of the bed for their use while they're there.

Stock up on some danish, mini-muffins, OJ, bananas and coffee/milk/tea for breakfasts and snacking. Let them know the items are for anytime.

My oldest son's HS buddy and his family of 4 came for what was to be onw night last summer - they had such a good time here they stayed 4 nights. Then they returned over Christmas for what was to be 3-4 nights .... they stayed TEN NIGHTS!!!!! I had initially been like you - thinking I was so NOT ready for them last summer - but decided to focus on just being a loving, warm hostess and if it didn't measure up to the Ritz, oh, well.

Honored Contributor

You said their isn't much going on in your area, but could you come up with a few ideas and see if they are interested? They might even appreciate you watching the baby while they catch a movie or go out for dinner.

Super Contributor

On 3/29/2014 AuntG said:

You said their isn't much going on in your area, but could you come up with a few ideas and see if they are interested? They might even appreciate you watching the baby while they catch a movie or go out for dinner.

Great idea!

Also, they may just want to veg out and relax at your house. Maybe play Scrabble or cards. Maybe just sleep if she's a new, sleep-deprived mom!

Honored Contributor

I am not a fan of house guests either...I used to be but as I have gotten a bit older it does not seem like as much fun as it once was.

Since I am an organization nut cleaning out the guest room would not be an issue for me and for the food I'd probably have dry cereal and some sort of coffee cake or cinnamon rolls, that way you can leave it on the table and everyone can eat as they get up....I liked the idea that you could baby sit while the parents have a bit of free time....there is not a lot to do in our town either but we do have a movie theater so dinner and a movie for the parents might be a welcome treat for them.

Try not to stress and have fun.

Esteemed Contributor

How exciting to have a new baby in your home! {#emotions_dlg.wub}

One of the joys I had recently was to get a real guest bedroom together. Cardinalgirl in Home has great ideas and tho she does go all out they are inspirational! You might check some of her old threads to read thru.

I agree with cleaning the closet, storing things away and allowing guests to take it over for a time. Same with towels in their room if they are sharing your bath. Make sure they know where your hamper is or where you prefer dirty linens to go and where you want dirty diapers to go!

I found setting meal time worked better than every man for himself. People grazing all day meant dirty dishes all day. You could make plans for brunch and say "I'm planning brunch in the morning at this time". "Does that work for you"? I'll make a French toast casserole the night before. Bakes and reheats well. Don't bother with things like eggs, pancakes, etc. That means you'll be at the stove instead of with guests. Fresh fruit, mini muffins, bagels, yogurts etc are a also a good choice.

Everyone likes pizza nite for dinner. Pizza, mozzerella sticks, bread sticks, a Stouffer's lasagne, etc. Great with a movie that you download or rent and they can sit casually around the tv and enjoy!

Honored Contributor

You can buy a coat stand and place it in the corner of their room so they can hang their clothing there. No need to use your closet. (If the room is large enough, you can have a rolling clothing rack instead.) Yes, you can leave muffins, etc. out on the counter, covered with a glass dome or with plastic wrap. Also, make sure you mention to them that they can go into the fridge whenever they want a snack. Have bread, cheese, cold cuts, etc. available to them. Enjoy their stay with you!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

Clear out space in the closet for them.to hang some things.

Make sure there is room on the guest room.floor for their luggage. Also, they will have lots of baby paraphernalia. So have some room for the Pack n Play or whatever they bring for the baby to sleep in.

Food: I agree with others about a set mealtime. Make a few things ahead...lasagna, etc. Something that freezes well. Ask them what foods they like now so you can prepare and have on hand what they like.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Super Contributor

I have a girlfriend that comes every year and stays with me about 10 days. I clear out the closet and put extra hangers so she can hang her clothes and make sure one of the drawers in the dresser is empty. I have a small unbreakable drinking glass in the bathroom in case she needs it for taking meds or anything and of course, all the regular bathroom necessities. I make sure I have plenty of coffee and bread for toast and "snacky" things. I don't even take off from work while she's here. We sit at night and catch up on our visiting. I get up and go to bed at my regular time. I think she enjoys that she doesn't feel "intrusive" because we just keep on doing what we always do. If she needs something, she'll run to the store to pick it up. Just make your guests feel welcome and comfortable and all will be well, everything else is just "stuff" and the best entertainment is spending time together.