Trusted Contributor

CAN ANYONE RECOMMEND A GOOD SITE FOR WIGS

My sister has had terrible hair thinning due to extreme thyroid problems. Her hair is coming out in clumps....she's not vain, but wants to look into getting a wig that is realistic looking yet comfortable. I have no clue as to where to even begin to look. The Ken Paves wigs on the Q don't look that real to me. I've made it my mission to find something for her and also purchase one for her as her finances are not the best right now. I think it would really help her feel better about all of this....hopefully, once she is on medication, she'll get more hair regrowth.

Any direction you could lead me in would be helpful!

Super Contributor

Re: CAN ANYONE RECOMMEND A GOOD SITE FOR WIGS

I don't know that I'd buy a wig without have it properly fitted and styled. A friend who had to have her head shaved for brain surgery has one and you can't tell the difference between her real hair and the wig.

Isn't there anyplace nearby that sells wigs?

Trusted Contributor

Actually, we're in a small town in upstate NY...the only place that has wigs is in our mall and when I went to look at them, they were horrible!

I know a lot of on-line sites sell wigs and I thought maybe someone had experience with them and knew of a particular one they could recommend.

Of course, I'd love to be able to go to a shop and see and feel them, but we just don't have that type of place where we live.

Honored Contributor

Paula Young. However, check w/some beauty salons in your area and see if they sell them. We have some that do. That way they can be tried on and then selected.

Respected Contributor

When I was in chemo I was jealous of two women who never lost hair. Not until they told/showed us they were both wearing wigs, did anyone know it wasn't their own hair and by word of mouth both had used the same wig store. I'd start there - call a local oncologist office or maybe talk to someone in the cancer ward at the local hospital - they many times provide or know what has worked for some of their patients and know where the closest place may be.

This particular wig store in our area opened as a business to cater to chemo patients and those with that disease where you lose hair. Because of their reputation, they have been in business forever because they not only sell wigs but offer personal services as well - they shave heads of those about to begin chemo (free), fit the wig to the bald head (also free) and then have someone on staff who washes/styles the wigs when needed(they charge for this).

ETA: researching and seeing if such a store nearby exists in your area is much better than buying online.

Super Contributor

I bought a Ken P wig and LOVE it! My bff bought one (she also has horribly thinning hair), and her dh didn't know it was a wig!!

Super Contributor

I wear wigs for fun now and then. I like my long hair but prefer the look of a pixie cut. It's just takes too much time to maintain the look (ergo the wigs). There are a few reliable sites: headcovers, wigsalon, wigs and vogue. My favorite wigs are made by Henry Margu and Jon Renau (quite realistic). But read the reviews. Hope this helps and God Bless to your friend.

Super Contributor

On 3/29/2014 HappyAndIKnowIt From NY said:

I wear wigs for fun now and then. I like my long hair but prefer the look of a pixie cut. It's just takes too much time to maintain the look (ergo the wigs). There are a few reliable sites: headcovers, wigsalon, wigs and vogue. My favorite wigs are made by Henry Margu and Jon Renau (quite realistic). But read the reviews. Hope this helps and God Bless to your friend.

It was supposed to read: God Bless to you and your friend.Smile

Smile

Super Contributor

Bless your heart for helping and loving your sister this much!

brandnamewigs.com (or Joshua24 - same place) is the best in pricing and customer service. The ladies there are so helpful. I love Rene of Paris. Ask Teresa, Emily or Leah to help you and they will get you what you need. Wonderful ladies and great site with fast shipping Smiley Happy

Rene of Paris is a great line Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I have ordered several wigs through the mail. None of them looked as real as the ones I used to buy at the malls. In fact, most are too shiny, have too much hair and the colors don't look realistic. If you can get on a site that is offering free shipping it won't cost you as much if you decide to send your wig back.