Super Contributor

Twilight Time (formerly Any retirees...)

I decided to take a break in July of 2012 from our thread 'Any retirees dread leaving the house' (in Viewpoints), I'm hoping we can all reconnect here and pick up where we left off. Anyone else wanting to join in is more than welcome. We only had a three rules, no arguing, no politics or religion discussed, it just seems to make for a happier place to post. I decided on the name Twilight Time because we normally met here in the twilight hours, and it's my favorite song.
I'll begin by saying all the family is happy and healthy, that's what they tell their aging mother. All the grandchildren have grown like weeds, in the blink of an eye one started college this year and it seems like only yesterday he was 13 years old. Another one got her first car about a week ago, a used Volkswagon that she immediately adorned with eyelashes on the headlights.
I haven't exactly been setting the wood so on fire or burning up the roads but I do get out more, however my 4 yr. old car (as a matter of fact 4 yrs. old today since I bought it) still only has a tad over 3,000 miles on it. I still deceive myself into thinking all the clutter and the dust will magically disappear while I'm playing Solitaire on the computer well into the night.
My cousins and I still talk or e-mail daily and I still haven't got the cat I've wanted for 40 years, but it's on my to-do list. Most all the flowers died this year, one of neighbors is still annoying, the mailbox is still leaning southward and I haven't lost a pound, other than that all is well and the sun is shining on this lovely 77 degree day.
Ladies please check in and let me know how your doing.
Super Contributor

Re: Twilight Time (formerly Any retirees...)

Bobbisue,

Happy New Year to you too.

Doxie,

I sent Fallen Angel and e-mail and told her you said hi. Until she gets her computer back she's having to pay to use one so I don't hear from her often.

Yes this was by far the easiest Christmas I've had since I was 18 years old living in an apartment, free as a bird, without a care in the world, had a good job, thought I was rich and you couldn't tell me ANYTHING because I knew it ALL. LOL Ahhh those were the days. Seriously this has shown me I will do less next year and from now on, it's just not worth all I do for the few hours when they are all here. All the kids are in one room eating and the adults in the dining room and we go in the living room by the tree just long enough to open the gifts and they're gone. Like yours, my tree is a beast, heavy as lead and I don't like asking for help and getting it from the barn and back, it's getting to be too much for me.

For decades I've had every room in this house decorated and a village with 32 houses on the den window seat with snow and all the trees and carolers and etc. and things on the door knobs and around every doorway and fiber optic villages, trains and snowmen everywhere and even down to Santa finials on the lamps and for years stockings for the adults and kids. (22 of us at one time) not to mention all the outside decorating the windows sills with holly and the wreaths on every window and mailbox etc. I cooked for days and we used the red Avon Cape Cod dishes that can't be put in the microwave or dishwasher and I didn't own a dishwasher until 4 years ago! One DIL always had 5 or 6 big trees every year and this year told me she had one tree, we all know the reason for the season is not all these things and the stress is killing all of us. Enough of this. Happy new year.

MoonDance,

I definitely want to put 2013 behind me, the sign says a lot. Happy new year to you also.

Respected Contributor

Lakk- I hope I did not sound preachy. You have started my realization with our posts about throwing out stuff daily. It has been eye opening for me to realize how the stuff owned me. I thank you for all of your ideas. It was a similiar experience for me to realize that everything was not about all the stress I put on myself at Christmas. Your description of how you spent all the time decorating for a few hours on one day was exactly what I went through.

I hope everyone has a healthy love filled 2014.

doxie

Super Contributor

Doxie,

Heavens to Betsy no you were not preachy, you can say anything to me, I knew how you meant your post.

I'll be back later today, I have an electrical problem I need to call somebody about this morning but need to get some things put away before he gets here.

Contributor

Happy New year,to you,too...I should have posted this one...my baby,Clint Walker!

Regular Contributor

Hey Ladies- Sorry for the long absence, I took time off from the social media. All is fine, had a wonderful holiday. I read a little about all of yours. Simplicity is the best! Big snowstorm here, I am in a warm home with food, drink and entertainment, no need to go out. My grandchildren all had fun times. Saw my children, and all is well. My grandson, Oliver is 8 and a vey intelligent, funny child. His mom asked what he wanted for lunch, and he said I will have a big plate of I don't know. Violet, who is 4, was ill on Christmas, but back to rare form, now. She was able to open her presents, and she was quite concerned that Santa make it home before it got dark. Sabine is 10, and talked her father into allowing her to stay up to see the New Year. They had sparkling cider, and she loved watching the ball come down. She had some trouble staying awake from 11:30 to 11:50, but she revived and made it. Nice to meet some of the new ladies here. Back later, pris
Super Contributor

prisrob,

Good to see you, don't stay away so long. Oliver saying "a big plate of I don't know" that was so cute. I'm glad Violet is better and Sabine trying to stay up to see the ball drop that's cute, mine use to try and stay awake to see Santa.

I bet your snow is pretty, I'm glad you don't have to get out in it. The weathermen hollered snow for us for a week and I probably have enough to fill a tablespoon on the deck and that's it. Now they are saying more later this week. I'll just resort to looking out the window to see what's happening. I have a street light right in front of my house and when it snows at night I like to sit with the fireplace going and watch it fall but we haven't had enough in years to even watch. It's 15 degrees here and 5 degrees with the wind chill factor.

Take care.

Trusted Contributor

Hello ladies......Cold and snowy here. 7* right now. A man is coming this morning to dig me out of the snow and clean off my car. I don't know what the wind chill is, but it is low. I've been stuck in the house for two days. Going to try to get to the bank today and gas my car up. I hate winter!

Everyone have a good day and stay warm and safe.

Super Contributor

Bobbisue, it's 15 here right now and our high Monday is suppose to be 8 and low 2. Stay in and warm.

Ladies,

My cousin who is always telling me something funny wrote this to me the other day and I thought I'd share it with you, it was funny to me.

"Our car is FILTHY from mud and salt and all the mess of the weather lately and since today was warm, I decided to wash it. And by 'wash' I mean a hasty swipe...not a thorough and detailed job because we pay somebody to really clean it. Anyway, it was warm but still having my hands wet and getting a fair amt. of water on me, I was about to freeze. So I'd just rinsed one side of the car with the hose and I dropped the hose on the ground to go get my soapy rag to wash that side. The 'nozzle' on the hose is one of those things that you can dial to change the shape of the spray and it has a handle thing with which to turn it on and off. When I dropped the hose it fell right on the handle which shot the stream of water straight up just AS I stepped over it and it went straight as an arrow right up...(you fill in the blank) Not only was it cold as ice but now it looked like I had tinkled on myself...and I almost did. Just as it happened ___ (son-in-law) drove up on his ATV and here I stand spraddled out looking like I'd just wet my pants...which he found amusing. lol I went on and finished the car and it looks better than it did."

LOL

Occasional Contributor

Hello ladies from the deep freeze. Well, it's supposed to be 45 here today but starting tomorrow it will just get colder and colder. DH has to go to the doctor on Monday and it is supposed to be a warm 18 with a low of 6. The wind chill is supposed to be in the minus. I know that some of you folks deal with this thing every winter, but this is the south and we don't have this cold weather very often. The forecasters are saying that this will be the coldest air in about 2 decades. I was 2 decades younger LOL and more able to handle the cold. I really dread trying to get DH in and out of the bus and in and out of the doctor. And to add to that, this is the first time he is seeing this doctor, so I don't know about parking or anything. Fine time to find out in those temps. Gripe, gripe, gripe LOL.

Lakk - Your cousin takes after you with her sense of humor, both you gals are fine writers. I hope that you can get out and get what you need before the cold hits so hard. You know, stock up on milk and bread. Hope you got your electrical problem taken care of.

Bobbisue - Stay warm and be careful.

Pris - Good to see you back.

RetRN, Doxie, Ury, Cater, MoonDance, Gigi - Good to see you and come back anytime.

I have to run and finish breakfast. Talk to you girls later. Hope everyone has a good weekend.