Just-Reduced Clearance
140 Members and 18037 Guests Online

Among Friends

Wedding/Rehearsal Dinner Favors - Need Some Help!

Started 1375542957.233 in Among Friends | Last reply 1376675230.91 by BlueCollarBabe

Hello Ladies!

I want to make or buy some favors for my son's wedding rehearsal dinner. I thought about putting some mints and/or chocolates in a little tin with a personalized ribbon around it with either their names or some saying like "Happily Ever After." I don't want to spend a fortune on a "trifle" like this. My question is: Can any of you recommend an online site where I can get supplies to make these? Or maybe just an online site for wedding favors. I looked and I found something on beau coup.com, but it's difficult to tell how nice or not nice these supplies are from the graphics. If any of you have had experience with this or buying from these wedding websites, I would very much appreciate any advice or suggestions you could give me. Thanks so much!!!!! The wedding is coming up mid-September, so I have a little time, but not much! {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Page 1 of 1
lolakimono1375543773.48714728 PostsRegistered 3/29/2012

How many favors are you expecting to make/purchase and at what price?

GoodStuff1375544177.02315758 PostsRegistered 11/11/2008

I'd go to your local craft store (Michael's, Hobby Lobby, etc.) and see what they have in the way of wedding favors and supplies to make them. That way you can see the items, prices, and quality in person and probably get some ideas on how to put things together to make favors. We made our own for my daughter's wedding and enjoyed having a "family work night" where the bride, family members, and some of the bridesmaids ate snacks, visited, and put together the favors. It was fun and not that hard or expensive.

Last edited on 8/3/2013

Last edited on 8/3/2013

ive been f­ramed1375544551.2272497 PostsRegistered 6/8/2012

Congrats Tiki Mommy! Do you not have a craft store like Hobby Lobby, Pat Catan's etc nearby? I always buy things in town, so I can't help you on websites. I do have a suggestion however for favors. I went to a wedding years ago and the favors were just little votives with a candle, but wrapped around it was a little chain with a red glass heart and a little silver charm inscribed with the word LOVE (it wasn't an expensive jewelry charm obviously, but really cute). Very simple but lovely! I really like it because every year for Valentine's Day I set it out and think of their day!

lolakimono1375544636.35314728 PostsRegistered 3/29/2012

What about something simple like these-

Altoids Mints Smalls Variety

with a sticker/label that says "never forget to kiss me goodnight" or something cute like that.

SuesCat1375545782.9332316 PostsRegistered 7/11/2012CT

Miniature wine? I gave each party attendee a bottle of red & a bottle of white in a small gift bag. In this case it was for my MIL's 90th bd. I took a picture of one of the watercolors she painted, printed out miniature copies, and stuck them on the gift bags. It really made a nice gift!

Or how about candy wrappers? Here is one site, but you can google and find lots of these. Congrats on your son's upcoming marriage!

It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness. ~ Chinese Proverb
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. ~ Aesop

(*Formerly MoroD'Oro)

Tiki Mommy1375552705.777343 PostsRegistered 5/27/2005

Thanks for all the suggestions! I think I will probably take your advice and run over to Michael's and see in person what they have. If nothing else, it may give me some ideas. I even thought that since I am a baker, I would bake some of my special Italian cookies and put them in little individual plastic bags and tie them up with a personalized ribbon. I could put them in a big pretty basket decorated with ribbons and the guests could take them at the end of the party. I have a total of about 35 guests and of course I'll make extra. Just hoping it's not too hot to bake - like the heat waves we have had in the past few weeks or else that plan would be moot!

Shelbelle1375553028.4335266 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

We did not do favors for the rehearsal dinner, but we did have a Candy Bar for the wedding favors, so much fun, and you can do it on a smaller scale for the dinner. Just order candy in bulk, sit it out in pretty containers with scoopers, my daughter had little paper bags printed up on line with their names on it that said, Love , Sweet Love, it went over really well, we had little candy left.

graycatsru­le1375585448.515956 PostsRegistered 7/3/2013

I was thinking candy bar too. You could decorate little bags and have a special table setup.

kandykrush1375637686.3940 PostsRegistered 8/4/2013

Yes, it's always better to go to your own local craft store such as Michael's or we do have a year round shop called Christmas tree shop. I like the idea of a small scented candle and place them in a bag.

Tiki Mommy1375741621.38343 PostsRegistered 5/27/2005

I went to Michael's today, and I found some really cute little clear plastic cube boxes with hearts on each side - actually they are made by Wilton. I paid $5 for 20 boxes and I bought two packs. Now I have to find some nice dessert mints to put in the boxes. I was looking online to buy some bulk mint candies, but my fear is that since the weather is still warm, I wouldn't want the candies to melt in the heat or on the UPS truck before I even get them. I'll have to try some local stores to see if I can find some. I thought I could pile all the cubes tied with ribbons in a big basket and put some kind of sign on the basket that says: "Mint To Be." I know it's a little corny, but cute!

Sabatini21375743269.173089 PostsRegistered 11/13/2010

Tiki, FYI: Here's what you might like to put in those tins. My sis ordered these personalized M&Ms to be used at my son's rehearsal dinner. They were really cute! (and tasty) Ordering edible wedding favors

Also, if you'd like to: Order a lovely cake, & have it say something like 'Almost Mr. & Mrs...', & have the couple cut the cake at their rehearsal dinner.

Last edited on 8/5/2013

Last edited on 8/5/2013

Tiki Mommy1375746303.043343 PostsRegistered 5/27/2005

Thanks again, everyone! Lots of cute ideas! It's coming up soon! Then I have my other son's wedding next June!

Local1375754080.781512 PostsRegistered 5/21/2006

Your idea sounds just right for the rehearsal dinner. But, call me cynical but I wouldn't put them in a 'free for all' basket. People get greedy with they see stuff just sitting there. Put one at each place setting and that way you'll know everyone got one.

Rainbows a­nd Roses1375755820.89718545 PostsRegistered 6/4/2011

Great suggestions.........when I was in sales I would take a chocolate bar and I had labels made with the name of my company and logo and the I wrote ENJOY and signed my name..........they were such a hit.......a local printing company made the wrappers for me and I covered the Hershey's or Godiva Bar........so many things you can do..........these ladies have given you great ideas.

"Crying is for plain women, Pretty women go shopping." Oscar Wilde

"The most beautiful makeup of a woman is passion but cosmetics are easier to buy." YSL

Tiki Mommy1375790051.75343 PostsRegistered 5/27/2005
On 8/5/2013 Local said:

Your idea sounds just right for the rehearsal dinner. But, call me cynical but I wouldn't put them in a 'free for all' basket. People get greedy with they see stuff just sitting there. Put one at each place setting and that way you'll know everyone got one.

I know......that thought had crossed my mind. Isn't that terrible! So instead of filling a basket and making a "sign" that says" "Mint To Be," I can perhaps tie little tags on the boxes with ribbons with the names of the bride and groom and "Mint To Be" underneath, and put them at each place setting. Or maybe I could get some stick-on labels made and put them on the top of each box and then tie a ribbon around.

Rainbows a­nd Roses1375981163.718545 PostsRegistered 6/4/2011

I love it MINT TO BE!

"Crying is for plain women, Pretty women go shopping." Oscar Wilde

"The most beautiful makeup of a woman is passion but cosmetics are easier to buy." YSL

wonderfulw­orld1375991182.2171177 PostsRegistered 12/5/2012Michigan

Since everyone at the rehearsal dinner is presumably close to the couple....how about a picture of them in a cute frame, maybe a clear one that has a stand attached or magnets on the back for the fridge.

chrystaltr­ee1375992778.59313234 PostsRegistered 5/10/2010

We didn't give out favors for at my daughter's rehearsal dinner. We set up a cookie bar. Everyone loved the idea. We had every type and flavor of cookie you can think of, all served on a variety of floral dinner and cake plates. The tables were decorated with lace table cloths. It was lovely. We ordered cookies from several bakeries but a lot of us baked cookies too. We had little brown paper bags that we stencilled with the bride & grooms initials and the wedding date. People seemed to like the idea. I would like to take credit for the idea but it was all my daughter's mil's idea.

ROMARY 11376001404.03717784 PostsRegistered 4/28/2010

Some type of favor that people will save as a keepsake. I still have a variety of favors from wedding receptions that bring back memories all of these years later. Maybe handmade sachets in tulle/netting containing lavender. They can hang them in their closets and/or place in lingerie drawers. Beverly's Crafts used to have the lavender in bulk. I'm not sure if they still carry it.

Yellow Rose

Tiki Mommy1376012817.583343 PostsRegistered 5/27/2005

I have made my decision! And I have collected all the "raw materials" I need to make the favors. I bought the acrylic little heart cube boxes at Michaels. I ordered 20 lbs. of French mints from nuts.com, and may I say their service was excellent - received the mints quickly and in perfect condition. I also ordered heart gift tags (from myownlabels.com) to tie on to the boxes with ribbons with the couples names and the "MINT TO BE." Now I just have to put them all together. Thanks again, everyone. Like I said, my other son is getting married next June so I will need to do a "project" for him and his bride too. So many good ideas here! Wish I could take credit for the "Mint To Be." I saw it somewhere on the internet when I was searching for ideas. At first I thought it was a little corny, but the more I think about it, I think it will be adorable!

JamicaJamm­er1376280396.632357 PostsRegistered 1/14/2013
BlueCollar­Babe1376675230.9111108 PostsRegistered 9/26/2007

If it were me I would do a candy bar. People love that. And, in spite of some who may save wedding favours, the vast majority of people toss them out. Total waste of time to make them.

Page 1 of 1