Labor Day Weekend Clearance
18 Members and 7653 Guests Online

Among Friends

Contact from high school love after...

Started 1367191329.54 in Among Friends | Last reply 1368140569.54 by Talidog
<h6>almost 50 years. Our high school class of 1963 was having their 50th reunion...I chose not to go. Suddenly, I received an email from my high school love. I was totally shocked, but in a good way...he was a great guy. Wow, how do you catch up after all the years. Now, don't get me wrong, he's happily married and has grown children and 2 or 3 grandchildren. It's just been fun catching up on our lives. Has this happened to any of you? We email almost every day...so many memories and yes, his wife knows...K</h6>

War Eagle!

Page 1 of 2
HiLo1367194694.1336619 PostsRegistered 8/28/2007

I recently ran into a crush I had in the 10th grade. I had thought about him a little in the last 50 years but wasn't ready for what I found .. He has become totally obnoxious, constant bragging and knows everything.; I pity the woman who ended up with him, she is deceased now. He has called me several times but I have no desire to talk with him much less go out with him . Ugg.

ROMARY1367197032.68315796 PostsRegistered 4/28/2010

I wouldn't mind hearing from my high school (and later) boyfriends......It would be interesting to hear about their lives all of these years later.

Yellow Rose

Snowpuppy1367197932.166341 PostsRegistered 12/2/2005Up North, MI

My BFF had a former HS BF contact her parents looking to get in touch for a milestone HS anniversary. He was serving on the committee.

They chatted by phone and she actually agreed to meet him for lunch. He was a successful attorney and obnoxious as all get out. She spent an hour with him at lunch and went home and gave her blue collar, hard working hunk of a husband a little........{#emotions_dlg.devil2}

Personally, I've seen a few post-HS interests on FB. Ewww....Let's just say "thank you Sweet Jesus" ! {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

Nicecupoft­ea1367198899.562391 PostsRegistered 12/28/2008

When I was thirtyfive years old I ran into my first boyfriend at the dentist's office.

I was sixteen and he was seventeen. He had blond hair and blue eyes and I was totally 'in love'. He threw me over for a more experienced girl.

Almost twenty years later I couldn't believe my eyes when he said 'are you M?' He was bald and toothless and fat. Cured me of all my romantic memories.

HiLo1367199837.1276619 PostsRegistered 8/28/2007

I am with you, Nicecupoftea: How blessed we were! I guess I have just seen too many romantic movies. LOL! I can take a less than attractive man after so many years (after all I "ain't what I used to be either") but as for a "know it all and bragger, no thanks.

JamicaJamm­er1367203025.872214 PostsRegistered 1/14/2013

Many yrs ago, my co-worker got a call outta the blue from her HS boyfriend. She'd not seen him since they both went off to college 20 yrs before.

She spent a lovely hr or so chatting, catching up, etc., and asked if I had a HS BF I'd lost track of. I did - a guy who looked like a blonde movie star, so on a whim, I looked him up and phoned him. He was shocked and mad, saying I'm happily married, don't ever call me again.

Then he phoned me three more times that afternoon, less hostile each time. By the third call, he was OK, nice, realizing I wasn't trying to stalk, etc. Nice, friendly chat, nothing more. We left it like "Nice chatting w/you - let's check in again in another 20 yrs".

The next weekend, I came home mid-afternoon from my son's soccer match to find a 5-page, rambling handwritten letter stuffed in my mailbox - obviously hand-delivered - saying how he'd never gotten over me, how he still loved me, how I really had locked up my house good 'n tight as he'd tried to get in, how he'd leave his wife and 3 kids in a heartbeat to be with me, etc.

He said he'd told his wife he was playing in a golf tournament all day - he was quite a golfer when we dated - and that he could make the 3-hr drive to my house every other weekend til he filed for divorce with that same lie/alibi. He'd stopped at the local mom+pop drugstore and asked if they knew me and my address, and they gave him directions to my house!

Worst of all...he put his family's photo with the letter. You know, the kind taken by Olan Mills for the church directory. The years had NOT been kind to him, putting it nicely.

I phoned him back to say NEVER to call me again, I loved my life juar as it was, leave me alone, and if he didn't, I'd phone when his wife was home and spill the beans on him.

TX-starlig­ht1367213370.7234559 PostsRegistered 2/8/2010

Great stories!! A few yrs ago I had changed jobs & found that everyday, I drove by my HS BF business. I decided I would stop, even though I have gained a tremendous amt of weight & was embarrassed for him to see me.

I still had his Army pic, so I took it with me & stopped. He didn't recognize me, so I pulled the pic out & asked if he knew where I could find this man. He about fell over. It took him a few min., but he finally did recognize me. I guess in my mind the relationship (back then) meant more to me than him,lol. He had also aged ( & not good), but his attitude was so disappointing to me. I wished I had never stopped.

Now my other HS BF has passed away & what I wouldn't do to see him again. I take flowers to the cemetery for special occasions. Also, by sheer coincidence, we will be buried on the same row @local cemetery.

Bungo1367239307.6573360 PostsRegistered 6/20/2006

Friend O' Mine went to high school reunion. Ran into an old BF. Both were single. They are now happily married.

I may never pass this way again.

LoveMyHand­bags1367267499.765509 PostsRegistered 4/29/2007
On 4/28/2013 Kacky said: <h6>almost 50 years. Our high school class of 1963 was having their 50th reunion...I chose not to go. Suddenly, I received an email from my high school love. I was totally shocked, but in a good way...he was a great guy. Wow, how do you catch up after all the years. Now, don't get me wrong, he's happily married and has grown children and 2 or 3 grandchildren. It's just been fun catching up on our lives. Has this happened to any of you? We email almost every day...so many memories and yes, his wife knows...K</h6>

Kacky,

I think it's OK that he emailed you ONCE ... but you two email each other "almost every day"??? You said his wife knows. If I were his wife, I would not be happy about that!! On Facebook it's OK if it's out in the public ... but not private emails. He wasn't just a classmate, he was your "high school love". Sorry, but Not right. JMO.

~ LMH ~

"Life is like a box of chocolates .... You never know what you're going to get." ~ Forrest Gump

Gooday1367274779.1510206 PostsRegistered 1/20/2008

My cousin and I went to the same H.S. She was involved in the Spanish Club and was casual friends with a classmate. When planning our 20 year reunion, he asked about my cousin. Both were going through divorces. They exchanged e-mails and the rest as they say....is history. He lived in another state. She moved to his state and was fortunate to work a field that afforded her to do this. They have been happily married for 10 years.

Snowpuppy1367291311.9776341 PostsRegistered 12/2/2005Up North, MI
On 4/28/2013 TX-starlight said:

Great stories!! A few yrs ago I had changed jobs & found that everyday, I drove by my HS BF business. I decided I would stop, even though I have gained a tremendous amt of weight & was embarrassed for him to see me.

I still had his Army pic, so I took it with me & stopped. He didn't recognize me, so I pulled the pic out & asked if he knew where I could find this man. He about fell over. It took him a few min., but he finally did recognize me. I guess in my mind the relationship (back then) meant more to me than him,lol. He had also aged ( & not good), but his attitude was so disappointing to me. I wished I had never stopped.

Now my other HS BF has passed away & what I wouldn't do to see him again. I take flowers to the cemetery for special occasions. Also, by sheer coincidence, we will be buried on the same row @local cemetery.

I think you have a good spiritual life. One in which you are able to acknowledge those who are special and are in your life for a reason. You carried someone's memory with you for many years and you are treasuring their time in your life.

JMHO, I believe is that many people don't develop their own spiritual life. They may attend a house of worship, pray, etc but really don't develop their spirit. They are not able to see the value of what God has brought to them in the way of that special person. As such, they are confused and ask "why are you here after all these years"? In one case he is not doing very well, in the other, deceased and perhaps his health was bad at a young age.

Don't write it off as "I'm too fat, he didn't recognize me". I would say he couldn't discern your value on a spiritual level. Pray for him, light a candle, etc to help him. If there is anything else you could do, I'm sure an opportunity would arise.

GoodStuff1367333785.30714622 PostsRegistered 11/11/2008

While it's fine and fun to hear from an old HS friend/flame and see how he is doing and what has happened in his life, I think "emailing every day" is excessive and unwise. This is a married man with a wife and family! You and he may share fond memories, but I'd consider it inappropriate to start up a regular correspondence. It's too easy to stir up old romantic feelings from one's long-lost youth. Danger, Will Robinson........

Last edited on 4/30/2013

Last edited on 4/30/2013

chrystaltr­ee1367340784.65711965 PostsRegistered 5/10/2010

Not from h.s. But a few years ago, the guy I dated in college "reached out". He got in touch with an old mutual friend and she gave him my work email and he sent an email. He also was "happily married with children" yada yada yada and just wanted to reminisce yada yada. I didn't believe him for a minute. We hadn't seen or spoken in over 30 years, we dated for less than two years decades ago. What was there to "reminisce" about? It was more than apparent that he was a middle aged guy, bored out of his mind with his life and his marriage and looking for a little internet excitement. Sad. I did not bother answering his email.

Talidog1367371988.343763 PostsRegistered 8/9/2007Heart of Dixie

Thanks, everyone for your very sensible advice. I will address my concerns with him...I have no desire to be other than an old friend. K

War Eagle!

MaryKateDa­naher1367377848.7571611 PostsRegistered 11/15/2012Wrigley Field Chick
Thanks all for an interesting thread. I've never run into any old BFs, tho I did see one on TV 12-15 years ago, on a televised lotto game! I've met up with lots of school friends in groups on FB but never an old beau! I actually married my HS sweety, I'm lucky enough to see him every day! Lol it is fun to hear about how school friends turned out!

Arguing with a fool only proves there are two! But often you get answers!
~Eamus Catuli~

arrianna1367443082.5575072 PostsRegistered 10/20/2010
On 4/30/2013 Kacky said:

Thanks, everyone for your very sensible advice. I will address my concerns with him...I have no desire to be other than an old friend. K

You are a good person, Kacky. I am happy that you got a chance to catch up, but now it is probably time to sort of end it. He had been looking forward to seeing you at the reunion and called you. Where can it really go from here? Maybe if he and his wife are in town you three can go out to dinner or something.

Talidog1367455254.3833763 PostsRegistered 8/9/2007Heart of Dixie
On 5/1/2013 arrianna said:
On 4/30/2013 Kacky said:

You are a good person, Kacky. I am happy that you got a chance to catch up, but now it is probably time to sort of end it. He had been looking forward to seeing you at the reunion and called you. Where can it really go from here? Maybe if he and his wife are in town you three can go out to dinner or something.

Guess what happened this morning...I got an email from my high school sweetheart and he said that his wife wanted to email me and get aquainted with me b/c she thought we could become good friends since we have so much in common...not him...but our love of sandals, handbags, cross stitch, cooking, etc. She's been reading my emails to her husband and wants to become friends. Yea! I'm delighted and can't wait to hear from her...she's not threatened at all and I'm delighted! He's a good guy and I never got the impression he was interested in me in any way but catching up with with his high school sweetheart. K

War Eagle!

MaryKateDa­naher1367465341.681611 PostsRegistered 11/15/2012Wrigley Field Chick
On 5/1/2013 Kacky said:
On 5/1/2013 arrianna said:
On 4/30/2013 Kacky said:

Guess what happened this morning...I got an email from my high school sweetheart and he said that his wife wanted to email me and get aquainted with me b/c she thought we could become good friends since we have so much in common...not him...but our love of sandals, handbags, cross stitch, cooking, etc. She's been reading my emails to her husband and wants to become friends. Yea! I'm delighted and can't wait to hear from her...she's not threatened at all and I'm delighted! He's a good guy and I never got the impression he was interested in me in any way but catching up with with his high school sweetheart. K

. It was a lovely story that you were nice enough to share. Thanks!

~Eamus Catuli~

MaryKateDa­naher1367465730.311611 PostsRegistered 11/15/2012Wrigley Field Chick
Did anyone notice that its Kacky's 50th reunion? "Where can it really go from here?" Really? Jeez Louise, they're not gonna be planning their escape route to Mexico ! Lord have mercy, where are the brains?

~Eamus Catuli~

sage41367470248.23212 PostsRegistered 10/29/2012

Kacky, I was thinking to myself that his wife also reads the e-mails. I dont understand wny some of the people on this board always think the worse. "Oh he's married and it is wrong" give me a break. Why cant people be platonic friends?

luvpoos1367531009.4735818 PostsRegistered 5/3/2006Kingston Ma

Yes, I have had this happen. He and I had been going out together for 3 years during high school. He was a year older and leaving for college. His mother told him he had to break it off with me because she feared he would not leave for college. I was heart broken, but he respected his parents, maybe too much. Sure enough, after he graduated, he called me to go out to dinner. I went, but I was already involved with another guy, my husband of 28 years now. It was just dinner, nothing more. We had so many things to talk about. It's funny how life turns out, but sometimes I wonder just if......

you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime, well you just might find, that you get what you need...The Rolling Stones

Talidog1367532891.5933763 PostsRegistered 8/9/2007Heart of Dixie

Update: I received a lovely email from his wife this morning. She is a very accomplished woman...we have alot in common, NOT the husband, but sewing, cooking, exercise, etc. AND a love of sandals and fine handbags! I've got a new friend and couldn't be happier. Thanks to all of you for your support and understanding of the situation. K

War Eagle!

merrytime1367796389.02645 PostsRegistered 2/7/2009n.c.
I know someone that was a widower for over 5 years that found his sweetheart who was a widow for 10 years. These two had not seen one another in 55 years and neither had ever planned to marry again. He made phone contact with her and she agreed to his visit. As soon as she opened the door their love blossomed once again. They spent hours sharing about their life and families as well as remembering their time together when she would stay with her aunt in the summer. Her aunt had gotten them together as he was such a fine young man and their families knew one another. They both went on to different colleges and lost contact and married another. Both had wonderfully happy marriages along with a great life. Well, they continued seeing one another and after three months they had a beautiful wedding at 72 years old. They have been married for over 12 years now and have been so very happy. They are perfectly matched for one another and deeply in love. It seems like they have been together forever as they are so much alike. We never really know what could be waiting for us just by taking the chance that life presents and be willing to participate and not afraid of changes. Last edited on 5/5/2013

Last edited on 5/5/2013

merrytime1367796679.9645 PostsRegistered 2/7/2009n.c.
I am using my iPad and the paragraphs did not seem to work after I submitted.

sweety cat­s11367856841.557207 PostsRegistered 4/2/2013THANKS SOX!!

This guy sure has a smart wife -- never hurts to befriend a guy's ladyfriend!!

Page 1 of 2