Better Than Black Friday
68 Members and 16676 Guests Online

Among Friends

former hosts

Started 1362059066.247 in Among Friends | Last reply 1363124049.663 by GrannySherry

With the exception of Mike Rowe can any one think of a shopping channel host who has made it REALLY big? And I do not mean bit parts on a few series,selling cookware or jewelry or their books on jewelry. I cannot think of a one.

I think hosting shopping channels is the"kiss of death" in show business.

Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak for me.
Martin Niemoller

Page 1 of 1
Vamp1362063916.9811875 PostsRegistered 3/9/2007

I guess it depends on what your definition of success is. The hosts do pretty well financially, so in that regard, it's not a bad gig and better than what the vast majority of people out there trying to break into the biz are doing. I've never been under the impression that all former hosts aspired to be actors, just a select few. *shrugs*

chrystaltr­ee1362087751.21313073 PostsRegistered 5/10/2010

It depends on how one defines "really big". I don't even know who Mike Rowe is, never even heard of him so I'm not sure that he "made it really big". I don't think of shopping channel hosts as celebrities. They really are just people with jobs. I think it's hard job but the ones who last a long time and are proven sellers make a lot of money. Like all the rest of us, a job is just a job. Some move on to do other things. Once you sold vaccum cleaners, fake diamond jewelry and pots and pans at 3am on a shopping channel.....I think the boat has sailed when it comes to "making it big".

kachina6241362103858.50316673 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004New Mexico
I'd say Mike Rowe has made it big without a doubt. He narrates "Deadliest Catch", is featured in "Dirty Jobs" for years now, does Ford commercials and has a line of cleaning products for which he and his parents do commercials. They also do paper towel commercials. I love his voice.

Bungo1362151692.1433538 PostsRegistered 6/20/2006

Never heard of Mike Rowe? Can't believe it. Where have you been. Even if you have never watched any of his shows or commercials you have surely seen him in something. He was also on Tim Allen's show as his brother.

Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak for me.
Martin Niemoller

wowee1362172615.8173415 PostsRegistered 4/9/2008phoenix

think hosting shopping channels is the"kiss of death" in show business.

I NEVER thought that hosting a shopping channel is any part of "show business!!!" It is sales, you are nothing more than a glorified sales person, JMO I know people worship them and hang on every word, BUT they really are "just sales people"

missy11362345899.77332591 PostsRegistered 3/4/2007
kachina6241362354583.2516673 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004New Mexico
Wow! I never knew he had such a great singing voice. He could have made it as a singer. He IS a hottie.

missy11362402732.94332591 PostsRegistered 3/4/2007

I was reading today that the show Dirty Jobs is over. (It was cancelled November 2012)

Last edited on 3/4/2013

Last edited on 3/4/2013

Bungo1362414042.2533538 PostsRegistered 6/20/2006

I believe that if you have an agent you are in show business. But,I'm just sayin'

Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak for me.
Martin Niemoller

Jezzebel1362420780.6071575 PostsRegistered 2/9/2013az
Maybe some of them didn't aspire to "making it big." Ever thought of that?


********************
My history speaks for itself, never said otherwise. :) Thanks for the attention! :)
***************************

Winifred1362578723.8173590 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I just don't believe most of the hosts use their position on a shipping channel as a step to show business. I think most do extremely well in their hosting duties. Course, they can come and go but guess that is the nature of the beast as it is in so many professions. I do miss some of the former hosts however. Would love to know what Steve Coluntino (sp) is doing. Also Molly, she was good on the guitar and also sang well. And of course Kathy Levine.

DiAnne1362621662.3375872 PostsRegistered 9/22/2010

I was under the impression that many of them had tried to make it in "show business" (Rick D) or on the news (Sandra B, Shawn, David V,) or radio (Carolyn) and ended up on a shopping channel.

missy11362660656.41732591 PostsRegistered 3/4/2007
On 2/28/2013 chrystaltree said:

It depends on how one defines "really big". I don't even know who Mike Rowe is, never even heard of him so I'm not sure that he "made it really big". I don't think of shopping channel hosts as celebrities. They really are just people with jobs. I think it's hard job but the ones who last a long time and are proven sellers make a lot of money. Like all the rest of us, a job is just a job. Some move on to do other things. Once you sold vaccum cleaners, fake diamond jewelry and pots and pans at 3am on a shopping channel.....I think the boat has sailed when it comes to "making it big".


Most people know who Mike Rowe is or heard of the show Dirtiest Jobs.

Vamp1362662069.11711875 PostsRegistered 3/9/2007
On 3/3/2013 kachina624 said: Wow! I never knew he had such a great singing voice. He could have made it as a singer. He IS a hottie.


ITA. And he gets better looking as he ages. No fair! Wink

sidsmom1362664661.5076150 PostsRegistered 8/11/2007Dallas!
I believe David V is gaining steam. He's been very visible, on the national level, as of late. I could see him on The Chew, or a show like that. His humor & improv skills needs to be showcased...with the right agent, that might happen sooner than later.

missy11362665040.0732591 PostsRegistered 3/4/2007
On 3/7/2013 sidsmom said: I believe David V is gaining steam. He's been very visible, on the national level, as of late. I could see him on The Chew, or a show like that. His humor & improv skills needs to be showcased...with the right agent, that might happen sooner than later.


He is aiming for Food Network.

Last edited on 3/7/2013

Last edited on 3/7/2013

LoveMyHand­bags1362695882.135509 PostsRegistered 4/29/2007
On 3/6/2013 DiAnne said:

I was under the impression that many of them had tried to make it in "show business" (Rick D) or on the news (Sandra B, Shawn, David V,) or radio (Carolyn) and ended up on a shopping channel.

Hi DiAnne,

Carolyn WAS a radio host/DJ BEFORE coming to the Q. She has mentioned it on a few occasions when I was watching her. The first time I ever saw her on the Q I thought to myself "Wow, she has a perfect voice to be on the radio/DJ." ... and sure enough she was. I always thought she sounded so much like a female country radio DJ we have here in my city. I think she's a great host and really like her. Smile

Shawn was on "The Apprentice" ... but I never knew what she wanted to do in life because the next time I saw her she was here on the Q. I can't really see her on the news! I think she's good as a QVC host. She's "unique" and "quirky".

I don't know anything about Rick or where he came from ... or Sandra.

I didn't realize David V. would like to move on to his own show on the Food Network!! He must make a great salary on the Q ... because he's been there so long.

They use to have an area where they told all about the hosts' backgrounds. Now when you click on their picture, you get their blogs. Does anyone here know if they still have another area on qvc.com where they tell their background stories??

~ LMH ~

"Life is like a box of chocolates .... You never know what you're going to get." ~ Forrest Gump

kachina6241362891238.316673 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004New Mexico
I know that Rachel Boesing was TV weather forecaster. They used to have host bios listed on the site. Nancy was a singer at Disneyworld..

gidgetgoes­hawaiian1362915274.41310432 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Clinton Kelly is a former QVC host. He was on the Q2 network years ago for awhile.

Bungo1362919681.293538 PostsRegistered 6/20/2006

I think (not sure) the RIck was in the original Die Hard and Paul Deasy was in the Dead Poets Society. I remember hearing that Jane T. sent in a tape when Kathy G. left the Regis show.

David would be great on the Food Channel.

Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak for me.
Martin Niemoller

insomniac1362926715.9377726 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Isn't it major enough that they're salespeople who have millions watching them?

insomniac

FlyersGirl1363098053.73332 PostsRegistered 7/24/2005
On 3/6/2013 Winifred said:

I just don't believe most of the hosts use their position on a shipping channel as a step to show business. I think most do extremely well in their hosting duties. Course, they can come and go but guess that is the nature of the beast as it is in so many professions. I do miss some of the former hosts however. Would love to know what Steve Coluntino (sp) is doing. Also Molly, she was good on the guitar and also sang well. And of course Kathy Levine.


Winifred, Molly Daly is still in the Philly area. She has been working for KYW newsradio in Philadelphia. I do remember that she sang (country?) but I guess she never pursued a career in that end of show biz.

All:

Mike Rowe also does the voiceovers/intros for ABC World News Tonight (Diane Sawyer){#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Cindy

GrannySher­ry1363124049.636720 PostsRegistered 1/26/2010Proud So. Cal. South Bay native now in WA state

I lived most of my 65 years in the Torrance/Redondo Beach are of So. Cal. and Rachel was extremely popular for years. Everyone hated it when she left.

I happened to catch a few minutes of her once on QVC and I swear they had her on speed or something similar. She was ridiculous and not at all the warm, funny, smart woman she was on So. Cal. news TV. What a shame, I can't stand to watch her now.

Page 1 of 1