TSV(R) Preview
122 Members and 15480 Guests Online

Among Friends

What Do You Do When There is NOTHING Left To Do?

Started 1361293962.333 in Among Friends | Last reply 1361995248.48 by Agent K

I have read some pretty personal topics here at QVC and always wondered why people put this information here....

But as I sit this rainy morning looking at them - trying to function - I thought I would put this out there and see what comes back...

What does one do when EVERYTHING and more importantly EVERYBODY has been ripped from your life - you have lost your family (children/husband), home, friends don't have any time for you (which means I know they are not friends) and you are so sick (Chronic Fatigue, Fibro, and Adrenal Fatigue) that sitting up is a chore on most days.....

I have been on this journey for the last 6 years when my whole live exploded within a 2 weeks period and everything that was familiar was dead and gone...and it keeps exploding on a monthly/quarterly basis - horrible, life altering events continue to happen and I am worn out - I just have nothing left to even make a decision with. I have been to the support groups (every and anyone you can mention), I have tried anti-depressants/therapy...I actually get up EVERY morning and TRY but and I have nothing in me.

I live everyday with the impending doom of being homeless, not eating, and the loneliness is so horrible that sometimes I just can't breath (and getting a dog/cat is not an option for me - because I could not take care of it). When I run out of water/food I get myself to drive to the store and the clerk is the only person I have contact with for those brief few minutes - then back to my isolated life. I have tried to connect with neighbors so many times.....nothing.

I have no family, friends, I have tried to build new friendships, go to functions to meet people and I come up with nothing...I have read all the appropriate self-help books and done the programs...and nothing.

When I look at my eyes in the mirror I don't see myself/my soul. There is a quote (which I will get wrong) in a move "Under the Tuscan Sun" where Diane Lane goes through a divorce and at dinner with her 2 friends and they tell her that she is at risk for being "one of those people who at some point had two choices in live (fork in the road) and instead of pick the one to move forward, they just checked out - you see these people and think what happened to them that makes them look so empty". That would be me.

I pray, I medidate, I used to trust and believe - but honestly I can't/don't - nothing gives me any pleasure or peace...If I ask myself if money were no option and I could do ANYTHING what would I do - I cannot think of one thing.

Yes I know - depressed - but again I have tried EVERY anti-depressant and due to my Adrenal Fatigue being so far gone they have the opposite impact on me (it is called a paradoxial response - when you take anything - vitamins, food, drugs and the reaction one has is the exact opposite to what it is supposed to be).

Anyway - I just thought maybe some miracle would come of this - as I said I have read some of the posts and the women (and men?) seem to rally and give good advice to people......sp as a last resort - just thought I would put this out there.

I hope each and every one of you has a miracalous day - I hope you have love in your life - I hope you have someone to hug who hugs you back - I hope you have food, clothing and shelter that you know will be there.......because this is what I keeping hoping for myself.

Smiles

Suezen

Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 4 Next
Tomgirl1361295586.007527 PostsRegistered 8/2/2009

Suezen you DO sound depressed..

.Maybe it's just that the winter seems to be dragging on ..it is raining here too today-I live alone and yes it does get monotonous especially in the gloomy weather....

Try to look forward to spring-it will be here in few weeks and when the sun comes out you will feel better....I know it sounds trite but if you can even get out of your house, even to just walk around the store, it could help...

YOu dont say how old you are...or if you discussed these feelings with your doctor...

Try this.....:

Get outside today-get up RIGHT NOW!!! Unplug the computer!!!...get washed, dressed and get moving and I think you will feel better...!!

Buy something you would not ordinarily get for yourself-doesnt have to be expensive- a little treat for YOU ( ice cream? )

Just be sure you get OUT OF THE CAR to buy it-NOT the drivethru...Just walking around and looking will take your mind off feeling so blue...

AND...Take a break from the Internet-all the constant negative news and commentary can work on you too...

Good luck!!! Write back later and let us know what you did.....!!!

qualitygal1361295866.8375470 PostsRegistered 11/9/2007

I would add, please contact a church not far from you, or one you would be comfortable with and go speak with a pastor, or rabbi, or priest. I just feel you might need some of this. Faith, hope, friends and reason. It could be the best thing you do for yourself, but yes, one foot in front of the other. Do this for you. I wish you the best. It's what I'd want someone I know and love to do, if I knew they had these thoughts and feelings going on inside.

Maybe a little bit of chocolate will help.

BlueCollar­Babe1361297325.00710995 PostsRegistered 9/26/2007

n/m. Afraid it's pretty clear that every suggestion is something you've either tried or have no energy for.

Anyway, I do hope things improve for you and that you get the help you need.

Last edited on 2/19/2013

Last edited on 2/19/2013

puglet1361297578.6472153 PostsRegistered 9/3/2011

Suezen, your post made me so sad. I could hear the heartache in your voice. It sounds like you have been through some very tough times and you must feel like your world is caving in on you right now. I have had a couple of really tough times in my life where I felt there was no way out, but you just put one foot in front of the other and keep going. There may be something wonderful waiting for you just around the corner.

I'm just going to throw out a few ideas, for what they're worth . . .

What are your interests? If it's singing, or art, or some other hobby, have you tried to get involved in such groups with like-minded people? It might be easier to make friends with those who share your interests.

You mentioned that you didn't feel you could take care of a pet, but would you be able to volunteer at an animal shelter? There's nothing quite like the love and gratitude of an animal who just wants a human touch and it would be doing you a world of good. Or, if you have an affinity for children, maybe volunteer in the pediatric ward at a hospital?

I know from glancing at your previous posts that you have been taking good care of yourself for many years and that's a great thing. You're way ahead of the game there, so keep it up! Keeping up your meditation is important too -- I do transcendental meditation.

Maybe try keeping a "Grateful Journal" where each day you write down three things you are grateful for. I know it might sound silly or simplistic to do this, but after a period of time has passed, it may start to change your frame of mind, and when you go back and re-read your journal entries, it will make you feel like things are not so bad.

Finally, there may be organizations you can contact that would pair you up with someone who could either visit you on a regular basis or just give you a phone call each day to check in with you. I've heard of such organizations, but don't know the names offhand. Maybe someone else here would know.

Take care and let us know how you're doing.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened. ~ Anatole France

jewelfool1361304365.0031399 PostsRegistered 12/26/2009

I read your post earlier in the day and it has stuck with me all afternoon. Then I read the positive thoughts post and I thought of you. God is so good and His mercy is everlasting. Pray unceasing! God will touch you even in your darkest moments. He is all we have to lean on.

GoodStuff1361304929.40315424 PostsRegistered 11/11/2008

I love Jewelfool's post above, and I suspect it is inspired! Truly, God is good and faithful and can come to us in ways we don't expect and at times when we've lost all hope. I pray He will touch you today through his Spirit and/or through some person or event you encounter and give you the strength and hope to carry on.

Clearly you are ill and very depressed, and life has not been kind to you recently. I am sorry you have not found the right medical or emotional answers yet, but I trust you will very soon. I will pray for you, and I hope perhaps you will reach out to a church in your community for personal and spiritual support to get you started. Please post here again and let us know how you are. Don't give up.

Do you have NO friends or family you can contact? No sisters, brothers, children, aunts, uncles......NO family at all? God bless you.

Last edited on 2/19/2013

Last edited on 2/19/2013

MistyEyez1361305582.307213 PostsRegistered 11/24/2012
When all else fails, I pray even harder. I imagine God having a plan for me even if I hate what is going on now. If you have a bible, please read it from the beginning.

ktlynam1361306080.5873629 PostsRegistered 11/17/2004

Have you discussed this with your doctor indepth, as you have here?

When you are severely depressed, you are not going to be able to deal with anyone or anything/activity in any way that is helpful or meaningful to you because you are not in a healthy state of mind to recognize it.

"Getting out and meeting people / doing something different" is meaningless to a person who is severely or clinically depressed. Depression is not a "mood" that you can simply fix by "distracting" yourself from it with something else. It is a mental illness. Until you can find the correct medication therapy, everything else is not going to help or matter. Right now the last thing you need is a pet--or anything dependant on you--in your life. You can't be made or forced to "care" about anything. And being put in that position only adds additional stress to you.

Talk to your doctor and ask if you need intensive mental health or psychiatric counseling in addition to other drug alternatives. Do not give up. It will be a long road, but worth it when you can begin living and caring again.

I wish you the best. Many of us have been there.

chrystaltr­ee1361307144.2313004 PostsRegistered 5/10/2010

I have a sister who has multiple health problems and has suffered with chronic clinical depression for over 20 years. So, I won't say something as pointless and useless as "just pray". I think it's good that you came here to "talk" but the only thing I can think to say is that perhaps you should find a new psychiatrist. Every year there are new and better antidepressants on the market and perhaps there is one, or will be one that will work for you. Please don't stop trying. I think you should force yourself to get out of your house and into the world as much as possible. I do understand that you don't "feel" better when you are with other people but I do think that being in the company of other people will benefit you. The more time you spend out of your house, doing something; the less time you have to brood about your depression and your losses. Think about doing some type of volunteer work a couple of mornings a week. And don't give up on the idea of support groups.

Rainbows a­nd Roses1361308660.0318545 PostsRegistered 6/4/2011

Suezen,

I am so so sorry. I have know loneliness most of my life regarding a companion and I still don't have one. Since my head injury I moved away from friends and everyone is really married and my life at that time was my son and my clients in the sales positions and volunteer work I did then.

I feel really alone but I know my Father in Heaven and his son Yahshua (Jesus) are with me even on empty days. You are here for a purpose. It is not to take your life but have refreshment and enjoyment.

I am sure you have thought of everything to do and I do believe you when you said you have been through it all. If you believe in the Father and Son in Heaven.......have you asked them to show you WHAT THIS COULD BE? Is there a sin or unforgiveness in your heart? Please don't respond to this question, it is for you to think.

I know life has to change for you......it is hard finding friends........The ones I thought were mine here in this town I have almost lived her 10 years has not been successful for me.........but I watch tv.......I get movies by mail from Netflix.......I do have a few friends to call.......two are my elderly friends and when my son is not upset with me WE talk. We don't talk a lot........I am waiting until he matures more and gets out of himself that we will see each other more.

I am online searching all kinds of things.........I read online.....I chat on this QVC community board........I read the Holy Scripture.........I pray.......and when I get out I go somewhere all the time alone.......that or I would be home all of the time alone. I feel better when I am around people even if they don't talk to me but I always say hello to people and always talk to someone.

I pray that you are delivered here in earth with where you are now. I hope that you will stop being so hard on yourself.......Are you able to get out and go somewhere? I don't know you age..........I so understand what you are going through.......I know the ladies on this site are very nice. I hope that you don't put things out on Viewpoints because there are some vipers over there and maybe they just do it to me..........I hope that you will talk with us and not feel silly posting.

I don't know your spirit inside...I don't know if you are bitter.......I hope you are not.......I have not read all of these posts and I will try and read your story again. I AM SO HAPPY YOU CAME HERE TO TALK........blessings to you.....I see the RAINBOW ahead for you.

"Crying is for plain women, Pretty women go shopping." Oscar Wilde

"The most beautiful makeup of a woman is passion but cosmetics are easier to buy." YSL

Rainbows a­nd Roses1361308740.44318545 PostsRegistered 6/4/2011

Suezen.I love the movie Under the Tuscan Sun. NOt the s *e* x things but everything else.

"The most beautiful makeup of a woman is passion but cosmetics are easier to buy." YSL

Rainbows a­nd Roses1361309052.98318545 PostsRegistered 6/4/2011

When I have felt all alone and I have the last several months until Sunday.........I make sure I really take care of myself. I was going to say something else when I started this post but I forgot. I won't forget you though. Please keep us posted and share.

Rainbows a­nd Roses1361309199.33718545 PostsRegistered 6/4/2011
On 2/19/2013 puglet said:

Suezen, your post made me so sad. I could hear the heartache in your voice. It sounds like you have been through some very tough times and you must feel like your world is caving in on you right now. I have had a couple of really tough times in my life where I felt there was no way out, but you just put one foot in front of the other and keep going. There may be something wonderful waiting for you just around the corner.

I'm just going to throw out a few ideas, for what they're worth . . .

What are your interests? If it's singing, or art, or some other hobby, have you tried to get involved in such groups with like-minded people? It might be easier to make friends with those who share your interests.

You mentioned that you didn't feel you could take care of a pet, but would you be able to volunteer at an animal shelter? There's nothing quite like the love and gratitude of an animal who just wants a human touch and it would be doing you a world of good. Or, if you have an affinity for children, maybe volunteer in the pediatric ward at a hospital?

I know from glancing at your previous posts that you have been taking good care of yourself for many years and that's a great thing. You're way ahead of the game there, so keep it up! Keeping up your meditation is important too -- I do transcendental meditation.

Maybe try keeping a "Grateful Journal" where each day you write down three things you are grateful for. I know it might sound silly or simplistic to do this, but after a period of time has passed, it may start to change your frame of mind, and when you go back and re-read your journal entries, it will make you feel like things are not so bad.

Finally, there may be organizations you can contact that would pair you up with someone who could either visit you on a regular basis or just give you a phone call each day to check in with you. I've heard of such organizations, but don't know the names offhand. Maybe someone else here would know.

Take care and let us know how you're doing.

Wonderful post.

Rainbows a­nd Roses1361309337.98318545 PostsRegistered 6/4/2011
On 2/19/2013 chrystaltree said:

I have a sister who has multiple health problems and has suffered with chronic clinical depression for over 20 years. So, I won't say something as pointless and useless as "just pray". I think it's good that you came here to "talk" but the only thing I can think to say is that perhaps you should find a new psychiatrist. Every year there are new and better antidepressants on the market and perhaps there is one, or will be one that will work for you. Please don't stop trying. I think you should force yourself to get out of your house and into the world as much as possible. I do understand that you don't "feel" better when you are with other people but I do think that being in the company of other people will benefit you. The more time you spend out of your house, doing something; the less time you have to brood about your depression and your losses. Think about doing some type of volunteer work a couple of mornings a week. And don't give up on the idea of support groups.

I do believe that when we are around other people even though we may not talk to them we are still getting a mental benfit of getting out of the home.

Rainbows a­nd Roses1361309414.78318545 PostsRegistered 6/4/2011
On 2/19/2013 ktlynam said:

Have you discussed this with your doctor indepth, as you have here?

When you are severely depressed, you are not going to be able to deal with anyone or anything/activity in any way that is helpful or meaningful to you because you are not in a healthy state of mind to recognize it.

"Getting out and meeting people / doing something different" is meaningless to a person who is severely or clinically depressed. Depression is not a "mood" that you can simply fix by "distracting" yourself from it with something else. It is a mental illness. Until you can find the correct medication therapy, everything else is not going to help or matter. Right now the last thing you need is a pet--or anything dependant on you--in your life. You can't be made or forced to "care" about anything. And being put in that position only adds additional stress to you.

Talk to your doctor and ask if you need intensive mental health or psychiatric counseling in addition to other drug alternatives. Do not give up. It will be a long road, but worth it when you can begin living and caring again.

I wish you the best. Many of us have been there.

Great post.

Rainbows a­nd Roses1361320063.85318545 PostsRegistered 6/4/2011

I am checking on you Suezen......I have not seen that you responded. It could be what we have said has not helped but you are alive and as long as we are alive there is HOPE.......as much as you want to give up........I know in my heart you can be strong..........YOU ARE STRONG or you would not have made it this long. You want to live you just want things better and different.......am I correct at all?

Last edited on 2/19/2013

Last edited on 2/19/2013

Rainbows a­nd Roses1361320180.79718545 PostsRegistered 6/4/2011
On 2/19/2013 GoodStuff said:

I love Jewelfool's post above, and I suspect it is inspired! Truly, God is good and faithful and can come to us in ways we don't expect and at times when we've lost all hope. I pray He will touch you today through his Spirit and/or through some person or event you encounter and give you the strength and hope to carry on.

Clearly you are ill and very depressed, and life has not been kind to you recently. I am sorry you have not found the right medical or emotional answers yet, but I trust you will very soon. I will pray for you, and I hope perhaps you will reach out to a church in your community for personal and spiritual support to get you started. Please post here again and let us know how you are. Don't give up.

Do you have NO friends or family you can contact? No sisters, brothers, children, aunts, uncles......NO family at all? God bless you.

Last edited on 2/19/2013

I am standing in prayer with this post and the others praying for you. Please let us know you are here with us. I plan to be checking on you tonight.

Rainbows a­nd Roses1361320308.99718545 PostsRegistered 6/4/2011

If you do believe in Our Father in Heaven are you aware that HE counts the tears you have cried? He knows every tear..........seems like when all hope seems gone there will be a glimmer of hope if you don't have it now.

aprildreams1361320494.861392 PostsRegistered 5/2/2007

I recently sized down and moved to a town where I didn't know anyone.....had a son and his family nearby, but they are a busy young family and I can't depend on them. I got on the internet and starting googling "walking groups", etc. Found a local meetup group and joined and had to make myself go at the beginning. I have met 4 lovely women who are so nice, and we do things together now. You have to make the effort. No one is going to knock on your door and fix it for you. Take that first step. You can go to meetup.com and find local groups that have different interests. Act like you are happy.....and eventually you will be. Someone told me that when I was young and I've never forgotten it. There's magic in laughing.

Rainbows a­nd Roses1361322028.03318545 PostsRegistered 6/4/2011

She is getting good advice but I have a friend that is depressed most of the time and she has so much to be thankful for...I can't imagine being that depressed........So I am sure I am not of any help....but I know have gotten my friend out of the home, and she is smiling now.......she needed a friend.....no she has a few she enjoys going things with. A support group on GRIEF would be wonderful for you. There you will meet people. Because in DEPRESSION people have lost a part of their life.........so be in a group that will bring some sunshine back to you. Blessings my dear.......really concerned about you.

just bee1361322043.4814453 PostsRegistered 1/3/2010Albuquerque, New Mexico

I think about this a lot. Before I changed careers I had a job with a decent salary and I associated with other women who had achieved a certain level of success. They were obsessed with losing it all and ending up in an alley living in a cardboard box. I’d mention this to male friends and coworkers and they’d just look at me as if I were speaking Kirundi.

I’m 53 and I’ve returned to school for another degree and am working for a ridiculously low wage, thinking that I should be counting the days to retirement instead of counting the days to graduation. I’m paying for everything out of pocket and watching my savings – my nest egg, my retirement – dwindle.

Once I’m done I have to face reality: Will someone hire me at my age when so many in their 50s are finding themselves out of work?

There are other factors at play, but I always think if everything in my life suddenly capsizes, what would I do? I have to think that there’s always – no matter what happens – an option.

You mentioned Under the Tuscan Sun. When she was at that point of hopelessness she did something that she wouldn’t have done when her life was working. But she was in a place where she had nothing left to lose. Her decision made no sense on the surface, but somehow she knew it was the right thing to do at that time.

There is something out there for you to do. Transplant yourself. Do something no one in their right mind would do. It doesn’t matter because you’ve reached that point where there’s nothing left to lose.

I’ve thought about the possibility of leaving everything I know, wiping the slate clean, and starting all over again in a new place. And then I think of the inconvenience of getting rid of everything I own and relocating. That tells me that I’m not yet ready – I’m not at the point where I need that option.

But that day may come. I’ll be able to part with things and just go somewhere I’ve never been and rebuild my life.

Are you able to walk away? Is there a place for you to begin again? What do you need to do to make this happen?

My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.

Rainbows a­nd Roses1361322174.96718545 PostsRegistered 6/4/2011
On 2/19/2013 aprildreams said:

I recently sized down and moved to a town where I didn't know anyone.....had a son and his family nearby, but they are a busy young family and I can't depend on them. I got on the internet and starting googling "walking groups", etc. Found a local meetup group and joined and had to make myself go at the beginning. I have met 4 lovely women who are so nice, and we do things together now. You have to make the effort. No one is going to knock on your door and fix it for you. Take that first step. You can go to meetup.com and find local groups that have different interests. Act like you are happy.....and eventually you will be. Someone told me that when I was young and I've never forgotten it. There's magic in laughing.

Hello precious AprilDreams........happy you are doing much better. Laughter is like a medicine.......but NO side effects. That is scripture. Laughter is like medicine.

Rainbows a­nd Roses1361322781.42318545 PostsRegistered 6/4/2011
On 2/19/2013 just bee said:

I think about this a lot.Before I changed careers I had a job with a decent salary and I associated with other women who had achieved a certain level of success.They were obsessed with losing it all and ending up in an alley living in a cardboard box.I’d mention this to male friends and coworkers and they’d just look at me as if I were speaking Kirundi.

I’m 53 and I’ve returned to school for another degree and am working for a ridiculously low wage, thinking that I should be counting the days to retirement instead of counting the days to graduation.I’m paying for everything out of pocket and watching my savings – my nest egg, my retirement – dwindle.

Once I’m done I have to face reality: Will someone hire me at my age when so many in their 50s are finding themselves out of work?

There are other factors at play, but I always think if everything in my life suddenly capsizes, what would I do?I have to think that there’s always – no matter what happens – an option.

You mentioned Under the Tuscan Sun. When she was at that point of hopelessness she did something that she wouldn’t have done when her life was working. But she was in a place where she had nothing left to lose. Her decision made no sense on the surface, but somehow she knew it was the right thing to do at that time.

There is something out there for you to do.Transplant yourself.Do something no one in their right mind would do.It doesn’t matter because you’ve reached that point where there’s nothing left to lose.

I’ve thought about the possibility of leaving everything I know, wiping the slate clean, and starting all over again in a new place.And then I think of the inconvenience of getting rid of everything I own and relocating.That tells me that I’m not yet ready – I’m not at the point where I need that option.

But that day may come.I’ll be able to part with things and just go somewhere I’ve never been and rebuild my life.

Are you able to walk away?Is there a place for you to begin again?What do you need to do to make this happen?

just bee............such a heartfelt post.......I am proud of you.......I did move after my head injury and thought life would be better but not knowing anyone and not being able to work has kept me from really meeting new friends I think........I moved to a smaller town and I don't suggest that..........I have had a time meeting friends but I don't work and working people do make friends........I love the saying BLOOM WHERE YOU ARE PLANTED and there is nothing wrong with starting over. If I had the money I would go to a beautiful place a town or city where people are happier and I have seen that on the news and online about living in happy places......not a college town.......or a small college town.........so much I would do with money to create happier times for me in getting to where I can start over and never talk about my head injury........just start fresh.

Rainbows a­nd Roses1361322895.80318545 PostsRegistered 6/4/2011
On 2/19/2013 just bee said:

I think about this a lot.Before I changed careers I had a job with a decent salary and I associated with other women who had achieved a certain level of success.They were obsessed with losing it all and ending up in an alley living in a cardboard box.I’d mention this to male friends and coworkers and they’d just look at me as if I were speaking Kirundi.

I’m 53 and I’ve returned to school for another degree and am working for a ridiculously low wage, thinking that I should be counting the days to retirement instead of counting the days to graduation.I’m paying for everything out of pocket and watching my savings – my nest egg, my retirement – dwindle.

There are other factors at play, but I always think if everything in my life suddenly capsizes, what would I do?I have to think that there’s always – no matter what happens – an option.

There is something out there for you to do.Transplant yourself.Do something no one in their right mind would do.It doesn’t matter because you’ve reached that point where there’s nothing left to lose.

I’ve thought about the possibility of leaving everything I know, wiping the slate clean, and starting all over again in a new place.And then I think of the inconvenience of getting rid of everything I own and relocating.That tells me that I’m not yet ready – I’m not at the point where I need that option.

But that day may come.I’ll be able to part with things and just go somewhere I’ve never been and rebuild my life.

Are you able to walk away?Is there a place for you to begin again?What do you need to do to make this happen?

Just Bee........Did I say I like your post? I am sorry you have gone through things and are going through things.........I know you will do well........you are strong like Suezen and so many others here. Blessings to you and all........

Rainbows a­nd Roses1361322948.24718545 PostsRegistered 6/4/2011

I also meant to post that there I times I think of moving back to where I came from and starting over there.........but........I don't have the money to live the way I did and it would not be the same. Change is good though.

Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 4 Next