Trusted Contributor

Anyone Familiar With Specchio Leather?

I recently ordered a pair of Kate Spade gladiator sandals and they're made of Specchio leather. I'm not familiar with this type of leather. I'm wondering how well it wears, because someone on a forum said that it's a little delicate and can scratch fairly easily. I can't believe that shoes would be made from a leather that isn't very durable. Although I got these shoes on sale they still aren't inexpensive shoes.{#emotions_dlg.crying}

I'm looking forward to getting these sandals, but I don't want to have to worry about "walking on eggshells" while wearing them. Does anyone have shoes made from this type of leather and how will does it hold up?

Thanks.

These are the shoes. Although they look silver, actually they're a "mushroom" color.

Kate Spade Aster Flat Sandal Metallic Mushroom Leather in Gold (Mushroom Leather)

Member Since 11/20/2008
Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone Familiar With Specchio Leather?

Trusted Contributor

Moonchilde, that is where I first read about this type of leather. However, I haven't been able to substantiate it anywhere else. I'd think that if it is a big problem there would be other people on other forums/sites complaining about this issue.

Anyhow,thanks for the link. I'll just wait until these sandals arrive and see how they look in person. If I think there'll be a problem I'll just return them. I'm not particularly hard on my shoes, so I may just take a chance...maybe.

I was just wondering if anyone on these boards might have a pair of shoes or handbag made from this Specchio leather, and could give me a review.

Member Since 11/20/2008
Honored Contributor

The word specchio means ""mirror."" It would seem to be some sort of coating or overlay on the leather meant to reflect. I can imagine it might scratch easily as I don't think it's actually the leather but a treatment of the leather.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

On 3/29/2015 moonchilde said:

The word specchio means "mirror." It would seem to be some sort of coating or overlay on the leather meant to reflect. I can imagine it might scratch easily as I don't think it's actually the leather but a treatment of the leather.

Yes, I believe you're correct. Isn't patent leather basically the same thing? I don't think it scratches all that easily. At least, that hasn't been my experience. It will be interesting to compare these shoes with patent shoes I already own.

Like I said, if these look flimsy I'm going to return them.

Member Since 11/20/2008