Frequent Contributor

Which house shoes/regular shoes/inserts for ball of foot issues?

I found out a few years ago I have Morton's Neuroma. I don't want surgery so I've been desperately trying inserts & shoes with good padding. And for around the house, I get Dearfoams and similar but within a month the padding is flattened. Is anyone else living with this issue? What do you do? It's actually started affecting my Achilles' tendon and it hurts! Smiley Sad
Honored Contributor

Re: Which house shoes/regular shoes/inserts for ball of foot issues?

Check out Footsmart. They have different products (and shoes) that might help that specific condition.

These get good reviews.

You could also try something like this.

Esteemed Contributor

I did suffer from Morton's Neuroma. It only came about when I was on the dance floor for over two hours straight. On a normal basis, no problem. I just love to dance. I would sit down and rest and then the pain would be gone. I was good to go for another hour or so.

You might notice I am writing in past tense.

A very honest friend who happens to be a retired podiatrist gave me a way to cure it. He looked at me and said to lose weight. Every pound is six pounds of pressure he said. I so far have lost over 20 pounds and I am not having any problems. I have ten more pounds to go, hopefully the Neuroma will not come back.

Honored Contributor

Footsmart has some pads. No shoes with a slope forward that puts more pressure on the area. Avoid heels.
Valued Contributor

I have Morton's Neuroma and it is not a fun thing! I have tried tons of shoes and foot pads. The best ones I have found for "slippers" - these crocs below. They are wonderful. Not pretty, but perfect!

Contributor

Hi! I'm so sorry to hear about your MN. I can Understand your pain. I had one for years before I got surgery for it last year. Have you tried cortisone shots? I was told the sooner you do those the better chance you have of keeping it from getting worse. I waited too long and ended up having the surgery because the shots stopped working. I must say the surgery to remove it has given me my life back. This, of course, is just my personal outcome. I was scared to death to have the surgery and put it off as long as I could. In my case I wish I had done it sooner. The pain just kept getting worse and worse. definitely look for wide toe boxes and like the above-mentioned, there are lots of ball of foot padding products available. I hope you find what works for you!
Honored Contributor

I have that problem too and I like sketchers with the memory foam for walking,but they have to be replaced often.I was wondering if those who had the surgery could say how long the recovery time was
Super Contributor

I think they also now do fillers like used to pump up facial wrinkles....they plump up the pads of your feet tat have lost cushion. It is temporary, lasts for a period of time and you do it again.
Honored Contributor

Unfortunately (or fortunately) the weight loss thing really does work the best. Even the size of my feet has changed.
Super Contributor

I was diagnosed with that 6 years ago and the doctor the best treatment is to simply avoid shoes that aggravate the situation...which started (for me) with my Birkenstocks, which I'd worn for 15 years with no problem...but all of a sudden the toe bar became a problem. So with the doctor's advice I went through ALL of my shoes and got rid of every beloved pair of shoes that caused me pain. I found wide toe boxes and good arch support to be the key. Oddly enough Uggs - which has no discernible arch support are fine, and maybe that's because the fleece conforms to my foot? Crocs work. Orthaheel sandals are my go to summer shoe(s). Anyway, for me I didn't need to buy any inserts...I just really paid attention to the toe box and the arches, and I've been pain free for 6 years. I didn't need cortisone shots or surgery...I simply listened to my feet. BTW, the reason my doctor gave me that simple advice is he had dealt with Morton's Neuroma, too...turns out it was a pair of ski boots that was his problem. He got rid of the boots and he got rid of the problem.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
~ Ian Maclaren