Honored Contributor

Speaking of boots -- how do you keep them smelling fresh when...

Back in the day (yes, I am showing my age -- again), you could spend $100 or so and get a wonderful pair of leather boots. Now, you spend $100 and get a very pretty pair of boots but they are synthetic. The cost of everything has skyrocketed I realize, and to get quality leather boots today, you have to really pay a tidy sum.

I recently purchased a very nice knee length pair of boots with motorcycle styling -- buckles, etc., and they look like the real thing and are lovely. but they are fake leather As with many boots today, they have that foam type lining, which though comfortable, really holds heat and makes my feet perspire. I am concerned about odor. What can be used in the boot to keep this from happening? I'd rather not use a bunch of messy powder. I hope I am not the only one who experiences this problem.

Thanks!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Re: Speaking of boots -- how do you keep them smelling fresh when...

I would focus on prevention. Don't wear the same boots everyday, air them out between wearings, and wear cotton socks.

I would think that charcoal would work to eliminate odor.

Honored Contributor

I don't wear them every day but since they are like a foam inside, and I'm thinking they are not like shoes which are open, it's hard to get them all the way open inside to really dry and air out!

I have to wear knee high hosiery with mine because otherwise I get too hot.

Charcoal --- you mean like the kind of stuff you use in a grill?

Thanks, lolakimono, you're very kind to reply!!!

I always enjoy your nice fashion posts and your pictures!!

Honored Contributor

AP,

Here are more tips:

Tips for Getting Rid of Shoe and Boot Odor:

*Keep a sock full of kitty litter and baking soda that has been knotted at the top in the shoes overnight each evening.

*Sprinkle a teaspoon of Bicarbonate of Soda into each shoe, shake well to ensure the powder penetrates down to the toe and all over the inside of the shoe, and leave overnight.

*Add some cloves to your stinky shoes, and stinky drawers for that matter. Tie a handful of cloves in a handkerchief and place in each shoe. Let them sit for a few hours, for exceptionally bad smelling footwear, leave the cloves longer, until the smell is gone. You can do the same for your sock drawer.

*Place a sheet of dryer fabric softener into your shoes after wearing. A sheet will last for about a week.

*Place the shoes in a zipper-lock plastic bag and put them in the freezer overnight. The freezing temperatures will kill most of the odor causing bacteria.

*Break some charcoal into small pieces and place inside an old pair of tights, put them into a pair of smelly shoes or boots overnight.

*Dry your shoes by putting them near a heater or in a warm sunny spot. Take out the shoe laces and lift the tongue up and out to dry the shoes out faster. By keeping your shoes dry, you help prevent bacterial growth that causes the bad odor.

*Put a mixture of baking soda, baking powder and cornstarch in a pair of cotton socks and stick in the shoes overnight.

*Salt has been reported as being effective in cancelling out moisture which causes the bacteria in shoes to smell bad. Apply 2 teaspoons of salt into each shoe and they will smell better in a couple of hours.

*Make a pouch out of muslin and fill with bicarbonate of Soda and add a few drops of Tee Tree Essential oil. The Bicarbonate will absorb any odors and the Tea Tree any bacteria.

*Spray the shoes with a mix of 50/50 white distilled vinegar and water into your shoe lining and soles and let air dry for 30 minutes. Use a hair dryer if you are in a hurry to dry the shoes. Follow up with baking soda in the shoe overnight.

*Try sprinkling some baking soda in the shoes and let the powder absorb the odor overnight. Empty the powder before putting the shoes back on.

*Purchase some activated charcoal, split them up into small pieces and put them into bags together with some cotton balls moistened with lavender or eucalyptus oil.

Commercial Products for Smelly Shoes and Boots:

Companies like Tineacide, 2Toms and Dr. Scholl’s all sell a foot spray that works as an effective shoe deodorizer.

Cedarsoles insoles - The cedarwood that these are made from is a natural antifungal and will help prevent shoe or boot odor.

Smelleze(R) Sneaker, Shoe & Boot Deodorizer - Specially developed to absorb, neutralize, and encapsulate many unpleasant footwear odors on contact. Smelleze(R) will cleanse your sneakers, shoes, and boots of stinky odors and result in fresh, clean smelling footwear. People with foot odor problems will never have to worry about smelly shoes again. As an added benefit, Smelleze(R) can also be used in stored shoes and boots to adsorb moisture and prevent mildew and cracking.

Antifungal foot powder and antibacterial sprays - these can be purchased at most local convenience, grocery or drug stores.

O-Liminator(TM) - A new and easy way to tackle bacteria, odor and moisture buildup. Recommended for use in sports bags, shoes, sneakers, work boots, cars, closets, lockers, athletic gear, or around the house where odors may exist.

Honored Contributor

No idea here, but would stuffing them with newspaper (when you aren't wearing them), would that help absorb moisture inside the boot too?

Honored Contributor

Thank you for these great ideas! I would think one of them should help!!!

Respected Contributor

Spray the inside of stinky boots/shoes with Lysol antibacterial spray or a similar product. Spray well and let dry overnight. Repeat as needed.

Esteemed Contributor

Most major department stores sell ""shoe balls"" that deodorize in their shoe department. They work great and last a long time.

Honored Contributor

Great ideas, everyone!!! I was sure hoping I wasn't the only one dealing with this problem. I also have to wear insoles, so this also makes my feet hot!!!!

Thanks!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Enjoy your new boots.