Honored Contributor

Those with foot/ankle issues, what do you wear when you wear a dress/skirt?

Since getting achilles tendonitis and having to wear orthotics, I have been unable to wear any of my cute and nice shoes. Instead, I have to wear very comfortable and ugly shoes such as Easy Spirit clogs. I have to live with it and I can manage with slacks, etc., but I do want to wear a skirt or dress occasionally. I cannot find ANYTHING that I can wear which allows my orthotics and is a bit dressier. I am not looking for a high heel or anything like that, but does anyone else have issues like this?

Have you found any shoes you can wear? It is quite depressing to shop and try on a gazillion pairs of shoes and find nothing!

Thanks so much for your posts!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Re: Those with foot/ankle issues, what do you wear when you wear a dress/skirt?

I have dressy flat shoes. They are out there. Go to a good, high end shoe store and tell them what you need.

Occasional Contributor

I feel your pain! I had a bad lisfranc fracture to my right foot a couple of years ago, so I am limited in the way of dress shoes as well. I wear orthotics in my walking shoes, but they do not fit my dress shoes.

I am in south Florida, so most of the year I can wear Orthoheel sandals with dresses. I can go short periods of time when I don't need to walk, in lower heel Clarks dressy sandals. Sometimes, on a cooler day, I match tights close to the color of the shoe to take attention away from my feet, and that works with dresses.

http://www.zappos.com/womens-orthotic-friendly-shoes~u Maybe something here would work for you?

Honored Contributor

I just bought some Pikolinas boots from Online Shoes. They have removable insoles that will allow you to put your orthotics in. They're really beautiful boots. I have a much harder time finding shoes in the summer that are cute enough to wear with skirts.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I've had four foot surgeries, so I empathize. I still am somewhat limited in my choices. I agree with happy housewife about dressy flats.

I found a Munro (excellent brand for comfort) style that was perfect for me a few years ago, and I'm glad that I bought it in several colors. It's basically a loafer but with beautiful leather and a nice touch of croco.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Thanks so much for your nice answers!

I have gone to many good stores and tried on a gazillion pairs of dressier flats and even ones with a very low wedge. None have worked so far. If they fit have decent, then the orthotic lifts the foot up, such that it makes the shoe flop and slip out of the heel. I have tried sticking to my usual size --- generally too tight. I have gone up 1/2 size - usually too big.

But I am still looking.

Honored Contributor

I have problem feet too. I wear clogs almost everyday or Go Walk with the faux fur lining in the wintertime.

I have found that SAS makes good shoes for "bad" feet. They all have a footbed that is removable so an orthotic can be inserted. They are not high fashion shoes, but some styles can be dressed up so you look decent whe wearing a dress or skirt. They come in a ton of colors and special sizes. I have listed 2 styles as an example.

They can be purchased on line, but I have an outlet store near me.SONYO

SOFIA
Super Contributor

On 10/29/2014 happy housewife said:

I have dressy flat shoes. They are out there. Go to a good, high end shoe store and tell them what you need.

I agree ... there are shoes out there.

Super Contributor

I wear the Clark's unstructured line. The insole does come out and you can fit orthotics in. They have some dressy flats. Check their website, clarks dot com or zappos dot com. Both those sites have free shipping both ways.
Honored Contributor

Thanks, ladies! You're so sweet! I am trying on and trying on!! I am hoping I do find at least a pair or 2. I have had good luck with Clark's in the past, but so far am not having any luck with regards to this need. You take things for granted and then all of a sudden --- you can't wear any shoes and can hardly walk! Take care, all!