Super Contributor

I had surgery on my left foot 4 weeks ago (I had a bone spur removed from the top of the big toe joint). I know it's usual to have swelling after foot surgery for some time but now I'm supposed to start wearing shoes again and I can't get my foot into my regular shoes.

Does anyone have experience with this and could recommend a brand or type of shoes I might be able to wear while the swelling goes away?

Respected Contributor

I think you should call your doctor or his nurse and report that you are unable to wear a shoe yet, asking if that is to be expected. Follow their directions as to surgical after-care in order to reduce swelling. Ask if it's ok to find a shoe which you can wear. Maybe just a larger size. Or maybe you need some sort of slipper.

I doubt anyone can actually tell you what shoe will work. It totally depends on how much pressure you can tolerate on the swelling and the actual surgery site. Everyone is different.

Respected Contributor

Do they not provide those ""boots"" for you to wear after surgery? The ones that go up the calf and have the velcro closures. I can't see how if your foot is swollen you're going to get into a regular shoe.

Respected Contributor

Sorry you've had to go through this! One of my sisters broke her foot a couple of years ago & it took a long time before she could fit back into her regular shoes. Unless a person can sit with that leg/foot elevated for long periods of time, it does take quite a while for the swelling to completely subside. Even a slim person is putting a lot of pressure on their feet when they stand & walk.

My mom had some foot swelling in the last months of her life & I gave her some Clark's sandals that I had. The straps across the foot attached with Velcro so easily adjusted as needed. Sorry I don't remember the item number as I bought them from QVC 10 years ago.

Good luck & take care!

Contributor

Look on footsmart.com, they treat customers and they have shoes and slippers that probably will help your problem.

Respected Contributor

I had foot surgery and it took me a long time to get back in regular shoes. At least 8 weeks if not longer. I took a pair of old sneakers and cut a hole over the tender toes. It didn't look fabulous but at least I could get around. In warm weather a sandal that doesn't press on your toe would work.

Contributor

http://www.keenfootwear.com/us/en/product/shoes/women/waterfront/bali

I purchased Keen sandals after surgery on my big toe. These sandals worked perfectly as they have a larger toe box area and your big toe is protected. They are a little on the expensive side but well work the money!

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Super Contributor

Thanks for your responses, everyone!

I have been in touch with the doctors office and they suggested a compression sleeve to reduce the swelling so I have one on order. I'm not usually one to have foot or ankle swelling so this is new to me.

I borrowed some larger tennis shoes from a friend and am able to wear them but not very comfortably. I ordered a pair of Ryka tennis shoes in a larger size and hope they might be more comfortable since they have a larger toe box. I plan on checking out the Keen sandals, too!

Thanks again!