Honored Contributor

Problem feet and ankles --- What brand shoes help & where do you buy them?

I am having problems with tendonitis in my ankles (achilles tendonitis) and so have to wear a small brace on one ankle and can hardly wear any shoes because they hurt me.

I need to wear rubber soles for support for one thing. I work in an office and so this is challenging to find shoes which don't look too sporty and are comfortable and decent looking.

Those of you who have feet and similar issues, what brands do you purchase and where do you purchase? I cannot afford to spend $100 on one pair. More like around $50.00.

This is so frustrating because I have all these nice shoes and they are just languishing away in their boxes!!! {#emotions_dlg.sad}

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Problem feet and ankles --- What brand shoes help & where do you buy them?

I think most Aerosoles have rubber soles. You might start there. I know Kohl's carries them as well as most of the online retailers,like shoes.com, etc

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Valued Contributor

My daughter just told me about the Skecher's GOwalk shoes, and we went to Monterey/Carmel, CA for 2 days and walked all over!! My feet never got tired or hurt once, (they usually do!) and I'd never worn them before. No break-in needed! I got the black leather slip-on type with black soles, so they don't really look much like an athletic shoe. I am going to purchase another pair in brown, too...if I can find them. LOVE them. When we got home...I thanked her for telling me about them!!

Famous Footwear carries the Skecher GOwalk shoes, also.

I got my black pair at the Skecher's Outlet, but there is a place online, and there having a 20% off sale right now...no shipping even on returns...and no sales tax:

http://www.shoebuy.com/womens-gowalk.htm

Brown ones:

http://www.shoebuy.com/skechers-gowalk-ultimate/586111/1292028

Super Contributor

If you have a Walking Store nearby you should go there and check out the Abeo brand. They are pricey but there are different designs for different foot types. I bought a pair of walking sandals with the strap around the ankle and I really like them. There is a variety of styles in the line.
Super Contributor

I want to add that Skechers did not work for me at all because there is no arch support, they are completely flat inside. I am glad my local DSW store had some for me to try on.
Respected Contributor

If I'm medically having issues with any part of my body, I would definitely spend the money to make myself comfortable and alleviate any future issues.

So, I wouldn't even bother with any department stores and walk myself into a good shoe/foot store and buy a pair of shoes that are good for your feet/ankles and forget about the price.

You can spend 3 pairs of junkie $50 shoes or one pair of good shoes.

Just my opinion.

Super Contributor

thanks. i did,t hear abt this site shoebuy.com

Honored Contributor

Thanks for your suggestions. I appreciate it! I agree about taking are of your feet. But I think there should be some outlets or some places on line that you can get quality comfortable shoes for less than $100. At least I hope so. I also think it's important to not wear the same shoes all the time. That's why I need to be able to spend less. Thanks so much and I really appreciate all the suggestions and tips here!!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Super Contributor

On 3/22/2014 AngelPuppy1 said:

Thanks for your suggestions. I appreciate it! I agree about taking are of your feet. But I think there should be some outlets or some places on line that you can get quality comfortable shoes for less than $100. At least I hope so. I also think it's important to not wear the same shoes all the time. That's why I need to be able to spend less. Thanks so much and I really appreciate all the suggestions and tips here!!

Not wearing the same shoes all the time doesn't apply if you need special shoes for comfort and support and to help heal. The most important thing now is for you to get professionally fitted with a shoe that will accommodate your brace and support your feet properly. You need to try shoes on and have someone help you find the best fit for you right now.

Super Contributor

Hi- About four years ago I had a bout of Achilles tendonitis. After 12 weeks of physical therapy, I was pain free, but I cannot walk barefooted, and I need to have a shoe without a back and with the heel elevated about 1-1/2 inches. I have found that Clarks shoes work for me. Clarks has several styles of slides and they offer good support and are in your price range. I hope you find something that works for you. Nothing worse than feet that hurt.