Respected Contributor

G.I.L.I. Large Leather Roma: Update on Experiences?

G.I.L.I. Leather Large Roma Tote

I'm a Roma 2 fan, love its organization and shape. Wanted one bag larger for travel, work. Ordered and returned several lovely GILI stirrup hobos (no shape, too much puddling, but gorgeous pebble leather). So I just ordered the large Roma in terra cotta; waiting for it to arrive. I have the feeling that Roma 2 and large Roma may not be continued (word on Roma 3 is that it's much smaller).

Would love to hear how the large Roma is holding up from anyone using it?

Valued Contributor

Re: G.I.L.I. Large Leather Roma: Update on Experiences?

I guess you will figure it out when the bag arrives Smiley Happy I like this one too. Sorry to hear the hobos didn't work out for you.
Respected Contributor

Hi, tough_kitty,

I wonder how many large Romas were sold?

In any event, what puzzles me is the fact that I have NEVER run across any woman carrying a G.I.L.I. bag (and I have Purse Eyes!). Tens of thousands were sold and I live in the Bay Area and attend a wide variety of professional and social events. Where are they?

Loved the stirrup leather and looks, but not only did it thoroughly collapse (and I'm not a purse organizer user), but every time I wanted in the bag the heavy stirrup part was hard to manipulate. Adored the look, though.

Regular Contributor

I have the large Roma in taupe ostrich. I really like it. Yes, its really large, but I don't think it looks ridiculous. Its easy to use and of course, holds a lot of stuff. I find it easy to carry and not too heavy for its size. It has held up great and I do not baby my bags. The only thing I don't like is it has a faint, odd, plastic-y odor. Not a leather odor. I own many Gili bags and really like them all. I live in Phoenix/Scottsdale. I've only ever seen 2 women with Gili bags. One was at my store. She had the blush Roma 2. The other was out shopping. That woman had the Milano in brown snake. I've also only seen one Dooney Logo lock in town and the Q has sold scads of those! I don't know where all these bags are either, lol! They don't seem to be in Phoenix.

Valued Contributor

All I see are Coach and MK....but also some D&B. Guess most ladies in Sacramento, CA aren't as stylish as I am ;P
Respected Contributor

On 4/7/2015 tough_kitty said: All I see are Coach and MK....but also some D&B. Guess most ladies in Sacramento, CA aren't as stylish as I am ;P

I do see the occasional Brahmin, which I love (I only have one, alas). And quite a few LV's from my university students, go figure.

Respected Contributor

AndrewsGrandma,

Thanks for the review! Love that it's held up great. Usually the Roma 2 (I have the blush, snake, natural ostrich) is plenty large enough, but if I'm bringing a project, knitting, shawl, water, chocolate (!), a book, I want more room; survival stuff for longer sojourns.

I wonder if all the GILI bags are in Pennsylvania? Or the East Coast.

Trusted Contributor

I'm in the East and I've only seen one Roma 2, but I see lots of LV along with the fabric Coach with logo and Michael Kors. Go figure!

I, personally, like the GILI bags much more than the Coach or MK. I only own the original blush backpack, and wish the large Roma came in a dark green or navy pebble leather for travel. Not a fan of all the exotics.

Respected Contributor

I own three Roma 2's.  If  they offered that bag in another color that I liked, I'd own four.  It's the perfect bag for me.  I haven't bought another bag since my last Roma 2; so, it seems like Roma 2 has spoiled me for other bags.  For the time being anyway.  I love a big, soft, pliable bag.  I like a clean bag without an embellishment or ornaments on the outside.  I like a bag that can hold all my "stuff" and still look fashionable and sophisticated.  I love that bag!  No disappointments, no downside. 

Respected Contributor

I ran into a woman at a Yankee Candle store carrying the Roma 2 in the cream snake.  I have that bag and love it.  We totally talked Bags and candles.  I get compliments on my Gili Bags all the time!